Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Would you do this trade? Blues Junior/Twin Amp content

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by DannyStereo, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2013
    Heart O' Dixie
    Yes on the trade. I love my Twin, but I reach over it for my grab-n-go Cube 60 when leaving the house. Funny, reducing a 100w amp that weighs 80 lb, to a 15w...and I would be equally guilty myself!

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

I've come to accept this Evil Twin will never be in my price range and I'm not waiting for the seller to drop the price to a more reasonable level ... but ... I just noticed he adjusted the price yet again ... upwards, by a hundred! So now I've seen this amp's ad do this:

$1000 (and who know where it started, this is when I began to look) --> $800 --> "best offer" --> $1,399 -> $1,499

3. OK, that's a nutty price for that amp... granted it's a good amp but no way near that amount of dough. ugh

4. Guitar_Gunman

Guitar_Gunman Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2015
    Missouri
    Danny, those pots are a pain to get at. You have to pull all the knobs, remove all the retaining nuts, then any fasteners holding the circuit board they're attached to and drop it. Do all that without crimping any ribbon cables or disconnecting any poorly soldered wires. Then desolder the pots connections without lifting any traces. Next mount and solder the connections for your new pots, reassemble all that, and your good to go. Recheck for cold or cracked solder joints and reflow as required while your in there to avoid future problems. By the way check for deteriorating or failing solder joints on your tube socket wiring connections to help get rid of that noise and sizzle your working to get rid of. Hopes this helps. Sorry we don't live closer, I'd be happy to give you a hand. Been fixing this stuff since I first got into electronics as a young man. Good luck sir.

5. Guitar_Gunman

Guitar_Gunman Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2015
    Missouri
    BigDaddyLH, the gentleman with the amp for sale may be mildly delusional. A gentleman in my local had a nice 15amp boutique amp on the list. Started out at $300. After 3 weeks it went to &325. Jumping at 20 to 25 at a time believe it or not it finally sold for $420. I'm not sure why but some folks are crazy and won't buy really low price gear. I'm always looking for a fair price. I admit that I have bought a few unbelievable bargains after testing them, and thought they were off for selling so cheap. I'm crazy myself, if I have gear that won't move at what I know is a fair price under local market value. Then I just find some local youngster or someone who needs it but hasn't got the ability to afford even that price and pass it along to them gratis. No harm done and I feel happy knowing they have something to further their musical learning. I'm hoping that somewhere you'll find a Big old overweight Twin (lol) at a fair price. After all they double as workout free weights for exercising. That's how all those guitarists in the 60's and 70's kept from getting to fat. Good luck and good hunting for your dream amp sir.

6. BigDaddyLH

Thanks for the kind words, G_G. Now I suspect the fellow with the Twin raised the price so that he could lower it later and make that part of the ad: new lower price! He's also selling a Marshall and I think he just did that for the Marshall.

My search for a Twin has just ended. I bought an early '80s Music Man 112 RD Fifty last night. It and an extension cabinet. Both have an EVM-12L in them so together they weigh as much as a Twin, if not more, but being split makes them more manageable. I'll do the NAD thing when I get a chance.

hrstrat57 and DannyStereo like this.

7. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    I too passed on my Twin... It just proved to be too much for me.

I was able to get to the pots, clean them all throughly, and then traced some of the hum to the Power Transformer. Having opened the Twin up, it would have been relatively easy for me to put in a new PT, but I just felt this amp should go to someone who can restore it to all its glory, and in all seriousness I'm pretty limited in my amp repair skills. So... Up on CL it went... And a day or so later I got a trade offer I couldn't pass up...

What is it, you say? I'll post pictures when I'm done cleaning it up ;) I've had it a few days now but it needed some serious cleaning.

I'll give you guys some hints:
    * 22 watts
    * made in 1989
    * 1x12
    * EL84 based power section, but sounds nothing like a Vox based circuit
    * Made in the USA
    * Built in Reverb
    * 2 Channels

Anyone care to guess?

8. BigDaddyLH

Mesa Boogie Studio 22?

9. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington

10. BigDaddyLH

Hah! Back down $100 today in its online ad:

$1000 (and who know where it started, this is when I began to look) --> $800 --> "best offer" --> $1,399 -> $1,499 -> $1,399

11. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    The fish can't bite because he keeps moving the bait away from the prospects, eh?
    This 'seller' could teach seminars on how NOT to sell. I would put an end to my watching of that one by sending him a final offer....when he is ready to sell, you will give him $600. Let him call you.
    Just like a pretty woman who is too much trouble.....if he doesn't call, that is no problem at all.

12. BigDaddyLH

I gave up a while ago when I bought a Music Man 112 RD Fifty, but what remains is a curiosity to see what's going to happen with this Evil Twin. He recently sold his Marshall half stack.

DannyStereo likes this.

13. BigDaddyLH

Still watching this amp's ad, as a scientific experiment. Price adjusted down again:

$1000 (and who know where it started, this is when I began to look) --> $800 --> "best offer" --> $1,399 -> $1,499 -> $1,399 -> $1,200 (firm)

14. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    At least he is going in the correct direction, now. He still has a way to go, though.

15. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    I agree with Wally. He's gotta come down a bit

16. BigDaddyLH

Still watching this local guy try to sell his Evil Twin. Commenting on my last post Wally said "at least he's going in the right direction". Not this time!

$1000 (and who know where it started, this is when I began to look) --> $800 --> "best offer" --> $1,399 -> $1,499 -> $1,399 -> $1,200 (firm) -> $1,400 (firm)

17. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Marketing is not his strong suit, right?

DannyStereo likes this.

18. BigDaddyLH

This guy, also called Wally, by the way, is living in a trailer park! Hardly the place to crank a Twin! Back when I met him he said he needed the money. I guess he needs the dream, too.

19. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    'Wally'....sometimes it is hard to take one of seriously, isn't it?? chuckles....
    Maybe his monetary needs are fluctuating, and you are watching the gauge of that in his asking prices??? LOL

20. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    Doesn't reverb have a pricing guide!? I find that to be pretty fair when I look to sell something.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.