Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Would you do this trade? Blues Junior/Twin Amp content

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by DannyStereo, Aug 31, 2016.

1. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    Nope. A couple are a bit scratchy too :/

2. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Keep using them. If working them doesn't fix it, get yourself some clear flexible tubing with an inner diameter of about 1/4 inch or a tiny bit bigger, take the knobs off, slip it over the pot all the way to the face plate, and squirt some cleaner in there. Wait 10 mins, pull them off, reinstall the knobs, massage the pots, and you should be good.

DannyStereo likes this.

3. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    BDLH,

THIS is a realistic price for a Twin Amp.
    https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/5769692559.html

Let's face it, the market is saturated with low to medium wattage amps, which is what most of us HONESTLY need.

Gone are the days of big amps for big amps sake. Anyone trying to sell a Non-vintage Twin for over $1k is just silly.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

More tempting listings from Portland? It's not the 8 hour drive I'm worried about, it's not all the guns in the US, it's coming back into Canada with a Twin strapped to my car roof: "Oh, that old thing? I take it camping."

Also, I agree with your remarks, but they go against you: why did you get a Twin?

5. I disagree, a Twin at a low/medium amps volume still sounds fantastic and if you're a pedal user even better! It's the dang weight that keeps me from picking up one, not the overall volume.

6. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    Yeah I hardly turn it up past 2 or 3, and it does sound great even at low volume! Lots of bass, which I really enjoy.

I was just meaning the trend is definitely toward smaller amps these days, meaning the Twins and Marshall stacks are seeing a decline in demand, which leads to a decline in selling price. More fun for us crazies, I guess!!!

7. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    Well, not all is well at the Stereo man cave.

In the last couple of days the Twin developed this-

I tried running two power tubes, four power tubes, different power tubes, different 12ax7s in V1....

Any thoughts?

8. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Deoxit the inputs, tube sockets, and reverb RCA connectors.

Try swapping every preamp tube with a known good one, one at a time. Replace the one that solved it.

9. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    I did all the inputs/sockets/connectors. I'll try replacing each preamp tube one at a time tonight.

10. Had a similar problem with my Tremolux, was the tremolo tube. Good luck

11. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    Interesting. I assumed it was tube related since it increases as I turn up he volume.

My next guess would have been a plate resistor?

12. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Holic

Jul 31, 2014
    Alberta Canada
    Move over little dog ... the big dog is here.

Nothin' like the swagger of a twin. No regrets, that is, until you start movin it up and down and all around! Maybe you will have it somewhere stationary.

DannyStereo likes this.

13. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    It does have a certain amount of swagger... Maybe even Mojo?

Ripradiant likes this.

14. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    Just tried a good preamp tube rolled in every spot... No dice. I'll try the 'tubing over shaft' method.

15. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    UPDATE - it is DEFINITELY the first Volume Pot. I don't have clear tubing handy, so I used a straw to cover the shaft of the pot (it's a pull pot to engage the Bright circuit).

Sprayed it with cleaner, let it sit, worked it pushed and pulled and from 0-10 a bunch of times. Voila, crackling reduced. I think it still needs replaced, but it's a little more manageable for now.

How I can upon such discovery was by simply using either of the other two channels. No noise on those at all. What I may do is just use the Yellow channel until I can replace the pot. The yellow channel can be set up to sound similar to the clean channel, maybe with a boost in gain.

16. BigDaddyLH

It's a plot to get you to start twisting up that gain!

17. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    Lol yes, that's it right there.

I am running it in Low Power for home. 15 watts of 6L6 tone through 2x12s sounds pretty good!

18. BigDaddyLH

That's why ideally I'd like to mix and match heads and cabinets. Most any small amp in a 1x10" cab is going to sound better through a 2x12".

19. AndrewG

AndrewG Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    I have the same opinion of the Blues Junior. Nasty screechy, farty thing. Likewise I thought I'd just throw it in there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.