Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Would you do this trade? Blues Junior/Twin Amp content

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by DannyStereo, Aug 31, 2016.

1. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    So... You know me. I'm always moving gear just for the sake of moving gear.

I'm actually pretty happy with the things I have, so I was planning on sticking with this set up for a while... And then I forgot I had listed some things on CL.

Yesterday I got an email on my Blues Junior from a guy here locally offering me a Twin Amp from the Pro Tube series. Needless to say, it piqued my interest.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Looks to be in decent shape, and mostly stock except for... Blue label speakers? As far as I know, the pro tubes came with the Gold Label Eminence speakers.

Anyway, I'm intrigued because it cuts down to 25 watts via a switch in the back, and according to the manual...
    [​IMG]

A 15 watt Twin!!!

The Pros:
    * again... A 15 watt twin that can do 25, 60, and 100 watts as needed
    * line out
    * tube reverb
    * Rounder, fuller tone. The BJ is great for what it is, but it often leaves me wanting more in the low end...

The concerns are:
    * the BJ is my church amp. The next smallest amp I have is my Bad Cat Classic Cat, but it's a non-Master amp, which makes it a little more difficult to use in a low-volume setting.
    * the Twin is 77 pounds
    * I don't NEED 100 watts. I am planning on recording with my last band for their new EP, and part of that will be using a Baritone Jaguar... Now for THAT application, 100 watts of clean would be cool. For most everything else, I'd likely run it at the 15 watts by removing two tubes and setting the power to 'Low'.
    * I had a Pro Tube Super before, and the thing was loud as all hell. However, that amp had no Low power mode

I've always wanted a Twin style amp, and while I realize it's not an accurate 'reissue' of a twin, it sounds like a versatile amp.

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Isn't this the "Evil Twin"?

Is this guy offering to trade a Twin straight up for a Blues Junior? Is he insane?!!

DannyStereo likes this.

3. losrogers

losrogers Tele-Meister

Oct 31, 2012
    Tucson
    Since he's local, take your guitar and a pedal or two and test it out. That's a cool amp.

DannyStereo likes this.

4. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Tele-Afflicted

Not yes, but hell yes.

mauer62, Chicago Matt and DannyStereo like this.

5. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    There's all sorts of info out there about which one is the 'Evil Twin' - this, or the Red Knob Twin.

What I CAN say is years ago I had a Red Knob Dual Showman which I ran through two 4x12s with a Boss Fuzz, Overdrive, and Distortion in front of it and it was a massive wall of sound

Yeah as far as I can tell he's wanting to trade straight across!

6. HWTele

HWTele Tele-Meister

Oct 21, 2015
    BetweenHere&There
    Almost 80lbs. Yikes! That's heavy.:p Hope you're a young guy with a good back or you don't need to move it often.

It is a nice amp though, specially if it's a straight up trade.

7. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Take it and run! That's a $500-700 amp while the BJ is a $300-500 amp.

8. BigDaddyLH

Do you want a Twin with gain on tap? The Evil Twin has that on both channels, but lacks tremolo :(

Lately I've been hankering after the new George Benson Twin Reverb -- because of a pine cabinet and Neo speakers it weighs 50lbs! Us guys with bad backs like that.

9. BigDaddyLH

I've been looking at the same model Twin (a 1994 in my case). The Red Knob is not the "Evil" Twin but gets that association because of the knob colours. Fender even called the 1994 Twin "Evil" in its promotion bumf.

10. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I agree with the folks that say make the trade. It's not like you will never find another Blues Junior.

I seem to recall that you're young enough to take on a Twin. Go for it! (Easy enough for us, right?)

I do kind of wonder if there's something wrong with the Twin that might not be easily discovered, but since it is local, you'll be able to try it out, and have a look under the hood, or have your tech do the same.

11. Jonzilla

Jonzilla Tele-Meister

Mar 4, 2013
    Tennessee
    You should be calling the guy right now before he comes to his senses. If you're not happy with it for some reason, sell it for more than you could get for the BJR and get something else.

12. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Stop moving gear just for the sake of moving gear. It's a waste of time and mental energy at a minimum. If the BJR is working for church count your blessings and don't change things up.

Lest it come across wrong, I am looking in a mirror while uttering the first two sentences.

13. BigDaddyLH

I like the idea of leading an Evil Twin to Church. It'll start sweatin!

Anode100 and t guitar floyd like this.

14. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Could be. Or could be as simple as the guy decided it makes no sense to lug an 80lb amp around and wants something more portable. And is willing to take a hit just to get an amp he can lift. Hard to say.

15. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    I'd do the trade, but that's because I regard the Blues Junior like a wet sock :oops:

But then, I'm just chiming in for the sake of chiming in ;) :cool:

16. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    We texted some more, turns out he's a pastor at another church here in town. Funny stuff!

His premise is he wants a smaller amp. He has a JC-120, so he's got the 'big clean amp' thing covered.

And yes... I'm 29, but a little out of shape. Maybe the Twin can replace my Gym membership? ;)

17. Of course do the deal! The same amp is local on CL, many times I've come close to picking it up. If it wasn't for the weight, it'd already be in my music room! Sweet amps.

18. BigDaddyLH

Aside on JC: I was checking out the new 2x10" JC-40 on Saturday. It is a more manageable 35lbs. And it was loud! I can't imagine being in a situation where I would need the full power of the JC-120.

19. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    I do want to address this.

This is something I've been struggling with, and if I do this deal, I need to make DAMN sure I'll be keeping this amp for a while.

My Cat and my Supro are keepers. My Les Pauls and Gretsch are keepers. My acoustic is a keeper. My board and current pedals are keepers.

The Blues Junior hasn't struck me as a keeper, and that's the only reason I'm considering this. I love it, and it works, but it doesn't feel like a keeper to me.

The question then becomes - make sure the Twin is a keeper.

20. MilwMark

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Good luck. For me this would end it. In fact, anymore "it works" might end it. But if I really like something, and it works, forget about it.

Says the guy who reluctantly concluded his "be all end all" Ampeg GVT15 simply wasn't loud enough in all circumstances, replaced it with a Ceriatone OTS Mini which was in fact loud enough, concluded that was uninspiring and landed on an Orange Dual Terror of all things, but only AFTER trading several unused pedals for a Tiny Terror (which is amazing) on a lark.

So I lack all standing to dole out advice.

Guitar_Gunman and DannyStereo like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.