Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

would you consider this super reverb?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by stevenhay, Apr 8, 2013.

1. stevenhay

stevenhay Tele-Meister

Oct 9, 2010
    New Castle Indiana
    Local guy has a 70 or 72 super reverb for sale. Can't remember which, but it is a master volume, but no push pull. Has the alnicos. It has some issues though, which could be easy, or might be a pain. Right now it has one power tube which I can't believe even works. old style 6v6, not a GC or whatever it is that is supposed to be in there. After it's on for a few minutes, it starts to whistle or oscillate a high midrange sound. Also, the reverb is weak. I put a 12at7 in there of my own just to see if that helped. Made it slightly better, but not much. All the way up, it sounds like a normal Fender reverb on maybe 3. Now, I think some of this could be solved just with a right power tube, but I'm not going in there and fix it and drive up the price. He has about 800 in it, and knows he paid too much. Cap job is imminent. One pot has also been replaced with the wrong OEM type at least as a regular Fender knob won't fit. Good project if I can get it on the cheap, or run away? I've rehabbed a master volume Super before, so I am somewhat familiar with them. I am not able to properly diagnose problems other than just replacing one part for a like one however. What would be a price?

2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    If it has a factory MV it's later than a 72, I have a 74 that doesn't have a MV.
    Mine has the CTS alnico 10" speakers which sound great.

The amp should have two 6L6 tubes and a rectifier tube ( the last 3 big tubes)
    It shouldn't have a 6V6 at all! Are you saying the amp was running on one power tube? that may be the main issue, I'd get a set of 6L6s and put in there and then try it out.

Power tubes don't really have anything to do with the reverb circuit.
    If it needs service, filter caps, new tubes, reverb tank that should be figured in the price.

At the moment the bigger Fender amps are not going for much,unless they are the Blackface or very early SF models.

I'd think around $500 with the specified issues , maybe less.
    What shape is it in cosmetically? tolex, grill cloth, hardware, does the tremolo work? You need to check and see if all of the speakers are good too.

They are great sounding amps when they are up and running.

3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

you'll have to put 200-250 into it.. at 550.00 a nicely setup super would rule.

4. stevenhay

stevenhay Tele-Meister

Oct 9, 2010
    New Castle Indiana
    Sorry, it has one 6l6 in it that it should, and one that it shouldn't.

5. bdgregory

bdgregory Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oct 7, 2008
    Virginia
    +1

Also it's probably a '74 or '75 at the earliest. I have a '74 that doesn't have a MV. It does sound fantastic though so it's worth investing in.

6. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    Boy that thing sounds roached. I do all my own work and I don't charge myself for my labor. These things (SF Supers) are hard to sell when they go over a grand. Let's see... $800 amp, $300 worth of parts 'cuz I use NOS tubes... and aw, hell if I was sellin' it I would like to get something for my labor.

See where this is goin'?

I have a hard time believing the owner would be realistic enough to blow the amp out for $300. If the owner is clever he can part it out and get his money. Say $300 for the chassis and it's easier to ship than a whole amp. $200 for the speakers and another $200 for the cabinet. I'm sure I could fudge those numbers and get 'em up to $800.

I'd feel like a ***** lowballin' the guy to make my numbers work. I'm not a quitter but sometimes I just gotta walk away.:rolleyes:

7. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

Jun 1, 2009
    California
    If the amp does not work and has significant problems that will likely require a trip to the tech to repair, there is no way the seller can justify the full price for a working amp for the thing. The later SF MV amps are the least desirable (as opposed to earlier SF with no MV or a BF).

figure the repairs will cost $200 to $300.

8. RubyRae

RubyRae Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2009
    Cincinnati
    walk away. plenty of other good amps out there...

9. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Was the title of this thread supposed to be, "Would you consider this a super reverb?" :D

10. stevenhay

stevenhay Tele-Meister

Oct 9, 2010
    New Castle Indiana
    LOL. True. If he won't come way down I will pass. I would like a project though. Spending too much time smoking cigars. Need to do something else. Can't play after the kids go to bed, so.... We will see. I think he knows he will have to take a loss, and he's had it a couple years.

11. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I guess it is all perspective.

We don't know what the guy has in the amp. We don't know if he is the guy who tortured it in the first place. I bought a super once (bf) that a kid had cut down and put in a 1-12 crap enclosure... painted it up oddly and trashed it... I paid him 150.00.

I found an old super enclosure (nice tolex) for 100.00 used... had gerald at Craig's music go through the amp for 200.00 and I had a nice amp!

I had 450.00 in it and ended up trading it for about 1800.00 (credit) for a Pete Anderson Larrivee acoustic.

The whole '***** thing' is beyond me. If a thoughtful person looks at the amp and says "in this condition, the amp is worth 300 to me" the only ***** move is not make an offer that is rational. That is a rational offer.

The seller can respond that it is too low. Among grownups, it is just business. It is just trading and selling and commerce... Going 'no bid' or 'no offer' and walking away is fine, but it certainly doesn't reduce or change the status as being a ***** or not being one.

Maybe the guy needs 250.00 today to pay the car loan... by not even offering... you give him no opportunity for getting feedback and finding out that his treasure is trouble.

Silence is generally not good for business or trade.

When there is disparity in perception as to value, it is best discussed.

12. bdgregory

bdgregory Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Oct 7, 2008
    Virginia
    if you want a project and are handy it could be rewarding - if the $'s are right. If the speakers are the original AlNiCo's and in good condition they're worth something.

I posted this thread: super-reverb-salvage-project a while ago, and ended up restoring mine to original configuration (and it was really "roached" to borrow MUCHXS's term). I ended up putting about $400 into it (had to buy speakers which was the big $ item) not accounting for my time. Now it's my favorite amp by miles. If I wanted to sell it (I don't) I wouldn't let it go for under $600 and believe I can get that easily - but not much more. I have my eye open for another carcass - would probably build a 2-10 this time. I'm not holding my breath for another deal though . . .

13. muchxs

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    OP says,

Like I said, the seller can do a Carl Icahn on it. The whole thing doesn't seem valuable until you break it up and sell it in pieces.

I've been buying and selling for decades. The deals turn up and I take advantage of the deals. Tryin' to force a deal with a super lowball offer is just rude. I'm not gonna be that guy. :rolleyes:

If the guy needs fast cash then he advertises at a fast cash price. I've seen a lot of stuff for sale, "Must sell!"... and the guy is askin' full boat retail, maybe full boat plus. Simply put, honest and knowledgable sellers take the minute or two it takes to research the value of their stuff.

Dishonest sellers...

It's turnin' into Scammer Planet out there. Again, if I wanted to be rude I could start a thread about stuff that has a big hole in the side not shown in the pics. Seriously. The Lie of Omission has become SOP. There are so many people out there sellin' the "gotcha!"... the lie of omission... that it's become SOP for buyers to look for the hidden catch, the undisclosed grievous flaw. Several years ago it was Katrina amps, then Irene amps although Vermont isn't a huge demographic so not many of those. Then a flood (pardon the pun) then a flood of Sandy amps from New Jersey and New York. I find it insulting when people dance around the discussion and ask a bunch of questions tryin' to discover the hidden "gotcha!". Lotta times they're tryin' to discover my "hidden agenda" without revealing their hidden agenda. That ain't a dialogue between adults.

I'm workin' the opposite end of that. I don't sell stuff that requires excuses. I don't write lavish ad copy makin' grandiose claims and re- inventing flaws as "features".

So: Not my job to educate sellers. I find it's far more common for sellers to be fully aware of the nature of what they have and to be adamant about their position. Most of 'em have had 11-12 years of education already. It's the hard cases who fall through the cracks. The ones who are honest and reasonable are gonna be honest and reasonable from the get-go.

14. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2011
    Jasper, TN
    I would probably go 300-500 on it figuring at least 300 in repairs as noted above.

15. muchxs

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    It's a go / no go question and I stand by my original answer of "no go". If you need a project there are projects better suited to your skill set. Build a kit, for instance.

What I'd do:

If I was feelin' right with the world at that moment I'd do a thorough evaluation of the amp. Drop the chassis, make a list. Create a BOM. If he seemed like a decent person I'd fix the thing pro bono. It's not like I'm eatin' someone else's lunch. He's not gonna fix it and there ain't enough wiggle room in the price to pay someone to fix it. Still, it needs to be fixed. Some good used tubes, grab a handful of parts from my bins... I'd make it an $800 amp. Then he can get his $800 from someone else.

Little more cooperation, lot less competition... betcha the world would be a better place.

16. stevenhay

stevenhay Tele-Meister

Oct 9, 2010
    New Castle Indiana
    I would fix it for him if I could. I've even offered, but I'm not going to pay for the parts for it either. I did try one of my tubes for the reverb. I've told him twice it has the wrong power tube in it. I don't have any 6L6 amps anymore or I would try them for him. I just can't figure if he thinks someone is just going to come in one day and drop the coin he wants, or he doesn't believe me. I've done him right on a few things though, so I would like to think it isn't the latter.

17. muchxs

Aug 14, 2004
    New England
    Right. I think we've discussed every possible way to move this and it ain't movin'. Get hung up on sumthin' that ain't movin', next thing you know you ain't movin', either. :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.