Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Would you buy this?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Tomm Williams, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Tele-Meister

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    For reasons that don't really need divulging, I'm looking into the costs of having a tolex manufacture recreate the blue checker board tolex used on vintage Gretsch amps from the late 50's-early 60's.
    I don't need a great amount of this material but most likely will have to pay for a 100yd roll before they will make it.
    If I knew there might be some folks out there who would want some as well, I might be more inclined to cough up the funds.
    So without asking for any commitment, I'm curious how many folks might be interested in purchasing some for themselves ?
    Or if anyone would just care to comment on their perception if a market even exists ?

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I think you should find a vintage Gretsch amps forum and ask there, but my guess is no market worth you coughing up the bucks.

3. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Check over at Gretsch-talk.com

Since I don't ahve any vintage Gretsch amps, I wouldn't be able to help you out. Sorry.

4. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    gret1.jpg

All I remember are these and the ones with the big cow with horns

5. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Do you have a picture of what you are talking about? I have some connections in the type of industry you are referring to.

6. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    It would be like this pattern image.jpeg

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    +1 on checking with the Gretsch forum. It might take a while to sell what you don't need for your purposes.....or they might come right out front and the cloth could be spoken for before you order. Check 'em out??
    Or....this cloth is very similar to the cloth that some of the new Supros have on them, isn't it??? They call it blue rhino tolex... since the Supros and the Gretsch amps were built by Valco, the similarity is understandable.

jimash likes this.

8. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That thing is too cool!!!

9. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    I had a Carvin amp for a short time in the 60s, and its covering looked quite similar, although I don't remember a blue tint, just different shades of gray on a textured surface. I remember that it was thin, and didn't have the slight cushioned feel of real Tolex.

10. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Making blue checkerboard ampeg Tolex would be a gold mine. This stuff, who knows.

11. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Fwiw, I found two sources for blue diamond......one from the Asian producer and one is Fliptops....the site for Ampeg amp fans. Same cloth......$35 epr yd at Fliptops.
    Tomm, will that manufacturer actually tool up for a 100 yd roll?? I would think it would take 1,000 yds?? Do you have the sample for them?

12. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    Actually I got some promising news today. The cab maker who is helping me believes he may have found someone back east in possession of NOS Gretsch tolex and grill cloth.
    He's getting the details now but regardless of what they want it would be cheaper than having it made.
    Wally as far as I know, it's 100 yds minimum which would still be like a $2,800 roll with shipping or so....

bparnell57 and Wally like this.

13. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Tomm, that is good fortune if indeed your associate has found some unobtanium NOS.....well...almost unobtanium, right?
    $28 per yard.....I suppose if a person broke loose for 1,000 yards of new cloth, the price would come down. Would you rather put say $20K in some odd tolex or Amazon stock???
    are there even a thousand Gretsch amps that need that, though!! IF you had to order 100 yards at $28. I suppose that is why that Ampeg cloth is $35 per yard.

bparnell57 likes this.

14. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    Yeah even with my lunacy there is a number that I can't go past.

15. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thought they stopped production. Color me surprised.

16. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    Most likely NOS from long ago.

17. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    I thought the NOS was long long gone... Even on fliptops

18. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    Well my cab builder seems to think he might have found a secret stash. Hopefully I'll know soon

19. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I found that same material on a manufacturer's site when looking for the Gretsch type stuff. Later, I saw that Fliptop site's offering.
    Re: the new Supro stuff that looks so close to the vintage Gretsch.. The people building the new Supro's might be moved to sell some of that material. One could plant the seed of the thought possible profit on an aspect of the vintage market that had not occurred to them....or maybe it has occurred and they would be able to sell some to you, Tomm?

bparnell57 likes this.

20. Tomm Williams

Jun 11, 2016
    USA
    Unless I'm confusing things (it happens) the Gretsch tolex I'm talking about looks nothing like Supros. If anything it's closer to Ampegs but not close enough to match.
    If I can find a proper match, I'm planning on having a repro cab made for my Stereo King to complete the set as it was made. Just seems like a waste of time if it doesn't look like the original.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.