Would you be seen dead playing Squier at a big gig?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Kojoflo, Dec 3, 2016.

1. blackspider57

blackspider57 Tele-Meister

If I can still play when I am dead,
    I would be thrilled to play any guitar :)
    Even my Squier.

Gibson likes this.
  2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

A corpse at a big gig. That's so Peter Fonda.
    Old farts might get the refference.

3. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

I don't gig (just a hobby and therapeutic release for me), but if I did gig, it wouldn't bother me one bit what logo was on the headstock. The logo doesn't make me any better or worse of a guitarist. Both my CV 50s BSB and CV 60s Custom are fantastic guitars. I have no reason at all to be embarrassed by the logo on the neck so I wouldn't dream of changing it just to project a false image that meets some stranger's expectation.

4. BCbassman

BCbassman TDPRI Member

I have played my Classic Vibe Squire basses on numerous gigs. Nobody cared or even noticed except the harp player. They are fine instruments and mine are all bone stock.

telestratosonic and Gibson like this.
  5. Fudgeacaster

Fudgeacaster NEW MEMBER!

I don’t think anybody here gives a **** what you tie your guitar to. You could tie it to your eyelids for all I care. That was a stupid question that I hope nobody here took seriously

6. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

I've just scrolled through this entire thread – nothing better to do at this particular time... Notwithstanding all observations thus far, it occurs to me that an apparently obvious point seems to have been overlooked throughout. "A big gig", eh? It seems to me that the bigger the gig, the farther away the audience is likely to be, therefore the more minimal the likelihood that anyone will spot, still less care about, the logo on your guitar's headstock.

Nevertheless I repeat that anyone judging me on that basis, rather than on the music I'm playing, is more than welcome to insert his opinion where the sun don't shine.

I also reiterate that I'd much prefer not to be seen dead at all.

scottser, FloInPA and awasson like this.
  7. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Amen to all that.

Tony474 likes this.
  8. 4 Cat Slim

4 Cat Slim Friend of Leo's

I'd play a Squier in a heartbeat.

Forgive me if I've said this already, but in a less politically sensitive time, golfer Lee Treviño once said (in reference to equipment), "It's the Indian, not the arrow".

FloInPA and E5RSY like this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't read the other pages, I would play any guitar that sounded good and stayed in tune, didn't hamper my playing. What and how you play is far more important than what brand or model of guitar you play. The best guitar I could afford and justify depending on personal finance.
    Anyone's opinion worth listening to would know this themselves and wouldn't care what brand your guitar was either.
    Cheaper guitars also leave more money in your pocket for beers etc and are easier to replace if lost or stolen. If money was no option I would play the best guitar I could find which might be expensive but could also be cheap.

Last edited: May 8, 2019
  10. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

We were taking a break and I was headed for the bar when I got stopped by someone in the crowd who said, "Man you really killed it on that last solo." I thanked him kindly and continued on. Thing is that I was playing rhythm on that number. Take my word for it audiences don't know ka ka and if you and your guitar can put it out there the working musicians I've known could care less.:)

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    awasson and E5RSY like this.
  11. G.Rotten

G.Rotten Tele-Holic

This is an old thread & I didn't go through all of it. Mike Campbell rocked an Epiphone LP for many a show.

In the end what's right for you is right for you. Who cares what other people think.

12. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Meister

Depends on where I am, what's going down...I really don't care, again depends totally what I'm playing, where I'm traveling to and how I will get there and back. I'm not taking an expensive axe that has to be checked into airline baggage claim.

awasson likes this.
  13. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

Once, around 1990, I opened for some hair metal cover band.
    I played original punk blues kinda stuff on a 70s strat. At the time I had some aftermarket neck on it, no logo.
    We play our set, then this band gets up, guy has a Floyd type trem, locking nut, breaks 2 strings on first tune.
    They literally stop playing, and the singer starts hollering into the mic for me, like fraser please come to the stage lol.
    So I lend the guitarist my guitar, he uses it for the set, then stalks up to me yelling, why didn’t you tell me this was some cheap copy!
    Meanwhile the guy is basically using a brand name copy of van halens diy guitar.

I’ve owned an 84 squier for I guess 25 years,
    It’s the one modelled on an early seventies strat,
    Sq serial #
    Big headstock, bullet truss rod, 3 bolt.
    I paid next to nothing for it, and it’s served me well, it’s a great guitar.
    Can’t imagine being ashamed of the logo.

14. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Meister

Yes. I have a first run cv 50's strat as well as cvc tele, now with bare knuckle ' brown sugar' pick ups In it and would use either of these two, plus have vm jazz bass which has been my go to bass for a few years now.

telestratosonic and Tony474 like this.
  15. FloInPA

FloInPA TDPRI Member

This thread puts me in mind of a comment that has always irritated the hell out of me. I'm a photographer, have been for a long time. Drives me nuts when someone says "that camera takes great photos." No, the photographer takes the photos, the camera is merely a tool. You can have the most expensive camera in the world, but if you don't have the know how to make it work properly, your photos will turn out poorly. Vice versa, if you do know how to use the equipment to the max, you can take great photos with a point and shoot. It's in the eye and ability, not just the equipment.

Same applies to many guitars. And anyone who is critical of what brand of guitar you are playing is A) missing the point and B) not worth worrying about. Play what you want and enjoy it.

16. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

Put a small brown bag over the headstock with a big "???" written on it in Sharpie.

17. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

18. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

I wear my shades when I'm dead. I can see no one, so no one sees me.

I also own several things.

19. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

Exactly. I've been doing wedding and editorial photography for the last 10 years. Every time someone asks, "What an awesome photo! What camera was that?" I always just say I shot it with an iPhone. That's my answer 100% of the time.

When I'm at a bar enjoying a show and I'm drunk and having a good time with my friends and the music is rocking, I'm not looking at the stage wondering what guitar the guys are playing.

FloInPA likes this.
  20. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

I know I've answered on this thread before but both my guitars are Squiers. I've done tonnes of gigs and not one punter has ever made reference to the logo on my headstock.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.