Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Would you be seen dead playing Squier at a big gig?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Kojoflo, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Alonious_Monk

Alonious_Monk Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2014
    Bedford, UK
    Surprised some people still attach a stigma to Squier guitars.

Besides, chicks always dig a cost-effective axeman....right? Am I right?

(I think I'm right).

LordByron likes this.

2. zezone

zezone Tele-Meister

Probably not since I'd be dead. But I'd have no problem playing any guitar, provided I was playing it well enough.

3. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Holic

Oct 14, 2012
    Newfoundland
    Nope, but I would be caught alive playing one. That's her to the left. Made in Indonesia folks. Deal with it........:p

4. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

I've played several big gigs with a Squier tele and strat, including a homemade tele. I play some older acoustic gigs with my 36 Harmony-at least I think it's a Harmony. Looks like one, but the guitar is so old all of the writing is worn off. People aren't that concerned with the guitar as they are the music that comes out of it, IMHO. At least that has been my experience. All of my top drawer guitars don't leave the house for gigs anymore except recording.

5. garytelecastor

I learned my lessons from Stephen Stills and Santana and myself. Stills had two pre-war Martins crushed by a light stand at a concert. Santana had two handmade PRS guitars stolen at a concert, and I had my 69 tele, and vibrolux stolen when I was in a car accident. I went to get help as I had broken my jaw in two places, and while I was walking down the road the guy drove by and honked at me. When I got back to the car all my gear was gone. So now they can have a $300 guitar and a Roland Cube instead.

darkwaters and LordByron like this.

6. LordByron

LordByron Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    My bad. It's a Vintage Modified Deluxe with the 2 WRHBs. :oops:

7. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Good for you! I like them both. The WRHB might not sound like the 70s originals, but they sound very pleasant to my ears. I though I was going to have to make some more room in the closet for one more guitar...

8. fretwhizzy

fretwhizzy TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2016
    UK
    I don't believe in karma, but sometimes I wish I did...

9. garytelecastor

Do you think I did something awful to someone that I deserved what happened? ;)
    I don't believe in karma either but I do believe in Newton's third law.

fretwhizzy likes this.

10. fretwhizzy

fretwhizzy TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2016
    UK
    My reaction must be to equitablely oppose you ;)

11. andrewt248

andrewt248 TDPRI Member

Jan 29, 2017
    Michigan, USA
    I gig my Squiers all the time and I love seeing the dumbfounded look on another players face when they can't believe that my tone comes from a Squier and a digital modeler. It's partly because I have put very good pickups and hardware on all my guitars, but I think a lot of it has to do with, having been a studio engineer for a number of years, I know pretty well how to dial in a sound and use compression and EQ to my advantage.

Truth be told, I don't own any American made guitars and I don't feel I'm missing out on much. The quality coming out of the Far East is quite stunning and I'm totally capable of doing my own modifications.

comebackkid, darkwaters and Kiwi_Neil like this.

12. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

Oct 26, 2007
    Louisville, Ky
    I played a Squier at a lot of gigs. No one ever seemed to care.

13. 5stringsdown

5stringsdown Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2017
    Maine
    Sure why not?
    I have a Squire neck that is so nice to play i am building a guitar around it.
    I think they are quite "hip" actually.....very well made.....and just fun.
    I bought a brand new custom order fender tele in 1978.
    It hurts me to say but it was one of the worst guitars i ever owned

14. UsernameTaken

UsernameTaken The Smooth and the Fast Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 31, 2017
    Earth
    Cut my teeth 25-ish years ago on a guitar swap meet $50 Squire. Even stripped the paint to the natural ply and played it like that at gigs for over a year while I saved for an American Strat. The fine female patrons were diggin' with 0-f's given.

No matter what you play, play it like you stole it.

15. garytelecastor

Just call me grasshopper. We are now in perfect balance and all is right with the natural world around us. :)

16. garytelecastor

You weren't up in Minnesota in 1981 were you?

17. Dreamweb

Dreamweb TDPRI Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Poland
    I played quite a lot of big gigs with my old blue Squier Affinity Tele back in the day with no problems. Heck, it was a huuuuge improvement over my previous guitar - a cheap Hohner strat, with which I also did a couple of large gigs in my teenage days.

Anyway, among the things I regret the most in life is having sold that blue Squier 12 years ago or so. But those were different times, I had much less money, had just bought my first Fender, could not afford having two Telecasters at the same time. So the Squier had to go, unfortunately. If only I still had it, I'd probably put a good pickup inside, perhaps even turn it into an Esquire by removing the neck pickup and still use it. It was a great guitar, but what's done is done.

18. UsernameTaken

UsernameTaken The Smooth and the Fast Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 31, 2017
    Earth

No the southwest.

19. garytelecastor

I was just shuckin'.;)

UsernameTaken likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.