Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Would you be seen dead playing Squier at a big gig?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Kojoflo, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Mxrk

Mxrk TDPRI Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Tampa
    I'm posting this both because the Squier Super Sonic is one of the best guitars ever made, and because I can't keep seeing that jacked up headstock image show up in my feed. [​IMG]

TheletterJ and jonrpick like this.

2. jonrpick

jonrpick Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2014
    Marietta, GA
    Those Super Sonics were pretty cool...

3. therealfindo

therealfindo Tele-Holic

Jun 26, 2012
    Germany
    Who brings a shovel to an axe fight?

Otis Fine likes this.

4. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    And actually the finish is certainly pretty good as well, but on the other hand, especially on translucent finishes, I can understand why people prefer a two piece body over a 5 piece (note: I'm not saying that there are no 2 piece Squiers, just that there are more 5 piece Squiers). And that is part of the higher price of an American Fender for instance. Also the quality of the metal (zo zinc saddles on an Fender as far as I know) and the chroming will probably be different. Also, some Fenders are more "sophisticated" with new technologies like the micro-tilt adjustment possibility or locking tuners. I have never noticed it but there might be a different quality of fretwire used, and certainly: most rosewood fretboards are more evenly coloured on Fenders than on most Squiers.
    I have a very nice CVC with just a little black maple "speck" in the maple of the headstock. I'm pretty sure that would never have been the case on a Fender. Also electronics might be cheaper, and probably of a lower quality. Luckily, once set up properly, a Squier can be a very very very good guitar.

The pickups are actually more of a taste thing to me... I hate the American Standard pickups I got from a friend when he switched them from his guitar, and I love the Alnico III's in the CV VB Squier. But you might think just the opposite. But in the end, that is just an opinion, not something that can be measured like the facts I stated above.

Of course, I do expect Quality Control to be the hightest for the American Fenders. A little lower for MIM and perhaps another step lower for Chinese or indonesian Squier. I don't think the workmanship is that different, the specifications and the allowed variation will be different as well as some parts quality.

I have same sentiment about American vs Mexican Fenders, does a distance of few hundred miles/kilometers make that much of a difference in workmanship? How many Mexicans work in Fenders American facility? Parts quality may differ, part specifications are different, hence a price difference between MIA and MIM.
    Note that I'm sure that the quality of Custom Shop is still different from regular American Fenders. Every Custom Shop guitar should be perfect when it leaves the factory, full stop.

Even an "undersized" Squier, like the Affinity can be a very good player, in my case that means changing pickups, electronics and bridge saddles, a new nut and some fret care. This is results in a very nice, and very light tele in my book. One that won't break the bank either. The standard is very good on it's own, and in my eyes only needs a setup. The VM and CV-series are excellent guitars for the money, taking a few of the comments I made (electronics quality, metal parts quality,visible wood variations) into account.

I don't really think people hate it. Most of them don't even know the Squier brand. And I don't even care what people think, as long as I like playing it, and like the sound of it, it is a great guitar, even if the headstock does not yell "Fender".

People that listen to a guitar with their eyes are not the people you want to play for, anyway.

awasson likes this.

5. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Absotively. I don't own a Squier CV Strat, but my best buddy (a pro player) does, and I've played that. It's the CV 60s model with the rosewood board and it plays beautifully and sounds excellent. Like me, my friend has many decades of experience and reckons that his Squier 60s Strat, unmodified and bone stock, is superior in almost every respect to his US Standard. Hell, even the 1997 Affinity Strat I bought new for my son has a better, more playable neck than many American guitars I've had. It's not perfect, but I've gigged it a time or two and it worked well enough. Anyone who has a problem with seeing me playing a Squier on a gig can shove their objection where the sun don't shine.

6. SheldonP

SheldonP Tele-Meister

Oct 12, 2013
    North Idaho
    Here's me playing an '83 SQ Squier P bass at Fan Fair;

fanfair02.jpg

...and the same bass at a Wildhorse Nashville set with Joe Nichols.

wildhorsewithjoe.jpg

7. Tacotuesday

Tacotuesday Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Pacific NW, US
    I love my Jagmaster, which I bought well-used from a hard-rocking touring musician. And I'd be pleased as punch to play a big gig myself.

So... yes?

8. mscmkr

mscmkr TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2017
    Prague, Czech Republic
    Well, Jeff didn't mind.... ;)

mikelefty47 likes this.

9. jonrpick

jonrpick Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2014
    Marietta, GA
    I know Jack Pearson was mentioned earlier... check out the Gregg Allman & Friends show from Atlanta 2014. Jack was onstage with Audley Freed throughout almost the entire show with his Squier. He was laying down some serious Duane Allman slide work and other amazingness with that thing. Excellent tone and astounding chops the whole time.

Given the sheer amount of talent he backed during that show, and the fact that it was broadcast on national TV, I can't imagine a gig being any "bigger".

awasson likes this.

10. Believer7713

Believer7713 TDPRI Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Kansas City Mo.
    I just got done rebuilding my squier from college. It sounds every bit as good as it looks. I don't think anyone would give me any crap about this one. If they did then that's their problem...I would still play it and both look good and sound good doing it.
    [​IMG]

11. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    NAFT wrong with that!

awasson likes this.

12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    :lol::lol::lol: I love it!

I also can't believe this is still an issue we should even debate. Through the CV line and upgrades to the Vintage Modified Line the Squier brand has earned it's stripes many times over.

Some post just how great they are right out of the box and others of us find them one of the most accommodating models to modify to our own tastes. Squiers give us the basics of a very sound playable guitar to do that with at a very affordable price.

Fenders should be so fortunate as that since any modifications to them also come along with a much higher initial sticker price. :p

I have two Squier CVCs and two Squier CV basses. I'll put them up against any standard production model Fender can roll off the line and I have far less into them in cost including the significant mods I've made than even a stock MIM Tele or Bass would run.

So I don't give a damn what anyone else thinks I love playing them and I'm the only one whose vote counts.

awasson and Tony474 like this.

13. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2008
    california
    if i'm dead, i'm not playing anything. squier, epiphone(epiphany), eastman...doesn't matter. just....

play music!

14. OldAndNew

OldAndNew TDPRI Member

Jan 18, 2017
    SC
    1. I would, and do, play my Squier CV tele in front of people. Any day. I've been playing nearly 20 years now and I currently own 10 guitars including 2 MIM strats, a Gibson LP, and the Squier CV tele. Guess which feels the best to play.

2. Why should I care what some jerk thinks about MY decal on MY guitar?....Im not wearing Nike's on MY feet either. So.

3. What kind of amp are you pushing that Squier through? (No need to answer)

My point is this: Play whatever gear you feel like playing and stop worrying about others frivolous and pretentious opinions

Tony474, AngelDeville and nicod98 like this.

15. Mr Scallywag

Mr Scallywag Tele-Meister

Apr 15, 2016
    Australia
    I dunno, but I dig his tone.

Otis Fine likes this.

16. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

Mar 7, 2007
    the basement
    If I like how the guitar sounds, looks and feels I could care less what the name on the headstock is.

I do not play "big" gigs but have gigged with Squier, Jay Turser and other knock off guitars in front of 200-300 people.

17. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Holic

Oct 14, 2012
    Newfoundland

18. Troubleandahalf

Troubleandahalf Tele-Holic

Jun 2, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I was in a band once where I showed up with my trusty CV #1 blonde (now Esquire'd, at the time in Keef setup with neck hb, but I digress). We jammed a bit, and played their originals songs, as one does. All good, I join.
    Then the drummer / band leader / financier if you get my drift, says, "now we just need to get you a guitar." I was stunned.
    I knew I needed an amp - I was working a Behringer with a 1x12" against the other guitarist's 4x12 Triple rectifier and keeping up. I wrangled a Marshall head and cab and my Tele was blowing away his MIA Strat. However they mixed, mine simply cut through better.
    So we go to the store because I would never turn down a new axe on someone else's dime when he's you know, insisting on it. And we played all the interesting Gibbys and PRS's etc. And he's considering dropping a few grand on one.
    At the same time I'd been gas'ing for a CVC, which I get and turn up with at next practice. Bass player verdict, awesome, beautiful tones. Guitarist likes it but is also consumed by headstock snobbery. Drummer really, really unhappy.
    We parted ways mutually shortly thereafter. Only thing missing was matching suits. Life's too short.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    darkwaters, LordByron and Tony474 like this.

19. LordByron

LordByron Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    Abso-f'n-lutely! Number 1 in my rotation lately is my Squier Cabro. Plays like a dream. Screams like a banshee. This, a Lovepedal Tchula, and the Top Boost channel of a cranked Vox is pure rock and roll heaven.

Also, one of my regular backups is a Squier Custom Modified Deluxe. Before buying it I A/Bed is extensively against the Fender Chris Shiflett Tele. The Squier won hands down for tone, neck feel, and weight distribution. It was no contest. Plus it was half the price. Bonus to me! :) I rock it unapologeticly at gigs.

Bottom line is: I'm not going to take my ES-339 CS or my Novo Serus to a bar or club gig. But the two Squiers above are no-compromise working musician axes. No shame there.

20. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    What model are you referring to a Squier Vintage Modified Custom (SC+WRHB) or a Squier Vintage Modified Deluxe (2xWRHB), or can i GAS for a new model, a Custom Deluxe?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.