Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Would you be seen dead playing Squier at a big gig?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Kojoflo, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    My condolences.

I keed. I keed.

2. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    I couldn't agree more. You're absolutely right. That's ridiculous.

3. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Meister

Jun 3, 2016
    Chicago, Illinois

Is this a Fender or a Squier?

Lake Placid Blue and awasson like this.

4. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    I still love her....

Darkness likes this.

5. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    Rock on!

6. Cellordin

Cellordin TDPRI Member

Jan 2, 2017
    United Kingdom
    The only time I've heard this "brand affliction" expressed out loud in recent years was by a guitarist who was a management consultant during the day, whose bandmates were also management consultants during the day, and whose audience were management consultants -and aspiring management consultants during the day.

For these guys, ownership of a Fender rather than a Squier, or a Gibson rather than an Epiphone, was an indicator of "seriousness", much like the Tumi luggage used during the day.

That said, when I was in a band 20 years ago I had a Japanese Fender!

Now, I wonder if Tumi make guitar cases..

7. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    MA
    <<Would you be seen dead playing Squier at a big gig?"

Yes, I was one time...they revived me :)

soulman969 and Tony474 like this.

8. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement

Its a fake shovel. On the other side of the handle you can see the harborfright decal rubbed off and replaced with a Craftsman logo.

9. Kojoflo

Kojoflo Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2016
    London
    There's a heck of a lot of people out there with squiers that change the decal to fender, so I think it's safe to say that many people have problems with them. I recently sold my vm 72, not because it was a rubbish guitar, it wasn't, it just wasn't that great a guitar, and if I'm going to mod a guitar then the effort would go on a fender, not a squier

Lake Placid Blue likes this.

10. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2009
    donegal ireland
    Whatever you do,dont put this on Facebook!

11. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2016
    California
    Knowing that people are replacing Squier headstock labels with Fender decals I should start buying only Squiers. That way I don't pay Fender prices for Squier Incognitos. PLUS, who knows, maybe somewhere along the way I'll wind up buying a Fender with a Squier decal

12. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Holic

Jun 19, 2014
    United States
    A fair and better compromise would be to simply remove all decals. Let people judge the instrument for how you make it sound.

ronzhd likes this.

13. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

Feb 24, 2005
    Florida Panhandle
    Ponder this:
    Grab just about anyone out the audience,and say "Hey,this is a Squier tele....whaddaya think?"

To worry about being "seen" playing a Squier is pandering to the maybe 5-8% of musicians at your gig who might snicker at your choice.

Ponder this:
    YOU are playing a big gig...."they" (corksniffers) are not working,and their Custom Shop tele is home in the case.

Tony474 likes this.

14. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Would you be seen dead playing Squier at a big gig?

I cannot be sure; indeed, how can one know what is to come after this life? It is one of the great mysteries. I can be fairly certain that I would be seen dead at my funeral, unless it were a closed casket funeral or I chose cremation. But since I have not died, and thus am not aware of the details of one's after-life activities, I cannot say whether or not I will be seen dead playing a Squier at the big gig.

I can say I have never in my life seen a dead man playing a Squier at a big gig, or any type of guitar for that matter, but then again I have not been to every big gig. Upon reflection I would say I may be seen alive playing a Squier at a small gig. I haven't had many big gigs yet.

boredguy6060 and robb3566 like this.

15. robb3566

robb3566 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 14, 2004
    Down the shore
    I'm pretty sure Keith Richards is a zombie, we should ask him.

Urshurak776 likes this.

16. bh1812

bh1812 Tele-Meister

Jun 23, 2013
    Florida
    Of course I would play my VM Jaguar and my CV 50 Tele at a big gig. These guitars inspire me, they sound, feel and look great.

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Sorry, but I am in no position to do that! Trust me.

cnlbb likes this.

18. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I don't play real "big" gigs, but used my CV Strat on the majority of my band's latest CD, sounds great (there is a giant brass block behind the bridge, but the only mod, all else is stock). The producer said it was a ' magic ' Strat. It is. Had it for 7 years or better.

19. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I read a thread over on a Strat website recently where someone posted regarding where a particular Squier guitar was manufactured (China, Korea, Indonesia, etc...). He said the CNC machine doesn't care where it's made, it's going to mill to the same specs regardless where it's located. I'd expand that line of thinking to the label... the CNC machine doesn't care if it's a Fender or a Squier, it's just a label. The machine is going to mill the wood to whatever spec it's provided.

If it's an undersized entry level Squier, that's one thing but the upscale guitars seem really nice and a good platform for upgrades. More than once I've pulled a Squier Stratocaster classic vibe off the rack at the guitar shop thinking it was a Fender before I noticed it was a Squier. They're that nice.

Tony474 likes this.

20. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Mar 28, 2012
    Sou Cal
    I once had half the audience get up and leave when I came out with a Squire Tele CV.
    So reached for my 59 Gibson 335, and the other half left.
    People just hate a Squire ;)

AngelDeville and jonrpick like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.