Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Would you be seen dead playing Squier at a big gig?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Kojoflo, Dec 3, 2016.

1. Kojoflo

Kojoflo Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2016
    London
    I think it's a fair question. You're playing to a big crowd, many people in the crowd are looking at the guitarist. Your moves are good, but what the hell, you're playing a Squier. Suddenly you don't look so cool. Is that a problem? Brand snobbery is mentioned elsewhere, and many put a Fender decal on a Squier. I see a lot of gigs, big and small, all ages, but never seen a squier. I've seen cool looking ironic guitars, that are probably some random import from Kazakhstan in 1960, and of course all the main brands, but not the lowly squier.

Here's the thing, I've got a Squier VM 72 thinline. I like it a lot, sounds good, great guitar for song writing, far better for that than my Les paul traditional. Everyone who sees it says what a great guitar it is, some prefer it to their own fender vm 72, but all admit to the guitar snobbery associated with it. Would I play it live? I would prefer the paying public to see my fender telecaster. My US one is just a better sounding and much cooler guitar. But would there be a circumstance I got the VM out and showed what it can do? Don't know, maybe, but it would be more to make a statement, sticking my fingers up at convention, than because it's a great guitar. Who here does gig with their Squiers, and do you ever have remorse at playing it live, or even not playing it live?

2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    hasnt bothered many pros why bother you?
    If thats really a serious question you got bigger problems than a decal on a headstock
    do what makes you feel alright but dont be guided by 'decal insecurity' :confused:

Ekko, Ebidis, rickthescot and 10 others like this.

3. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Already have. Er. Played one at a big gig.
    Not seen dead.
    CV 50s bass.
    Kinda noisy between songs, keep having to roll it down, but , other than that, who cares?

frank4001 and Chicago Matt like this.

4. metale

metale Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 30, 2013
    Portugal
    That makes no sense to me. This friend of mine, he brings the house down with a couple of Squiers. Put any Fender in my hands, I still won't play nearly as good as him.

5. KnopflerStyle

KnopflerStyle Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2005
    BA
    It only depends on your personality. I have gigged with squiers so many times. Paying public who demands fender guitars, I have never seen that. Seems to be people who dont like your music and they should go to Corona.

6. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2016
    NorthEast U.S.
    When I was shopping for my Tele the Squier label turned me off...I admit it!!!
    BUT....I did play several of them at GC and I honestly did not like the feel of the necks....too much lacquer and I really didn't think the tone was that great.
    If I'm gonna buy a squier and then have to mod it, I'd rather just get a MIM (which is exactly what I did).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    PCollen and mc84 like this.

7. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I think the Squier makes me look more endowed.
    Not like I'm overcompensating, ya know?

8. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    really tricky situation, all those people wanting to shame you?
    better discuss "decal insecurity' with a qualified therapist :confused:

robb3566, Kojer, awasson and 2 others like this.

9. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I could care less what others see me play. I very much care about quality and playability, and even things that go beyond that. Aesthetics, craftsmanship.

I know a lot of people like Squiers, and I mean no offense. It's just that I've never seen ANY low end product that truly appealed, and did the job to the degree I wished. If I can afford something better, I will use that instead.

Now, if all I could afford, or all I had access to, was a Squier? I'd give it great setup, and hopefully I'd even have time to give it a fret dress. Then I'd play the snot out of it.

Labels on the headstock only matter to me as indicators of suitability*. Something that's worked for me time and time again, gets the nod.

*That's not entirely true. I also buy guitars from a collector / historian standpoint. Reissues. I play them, but I also enjoy tracing the lineage, and tracing back to a discount overseas product line doesn't do much to inspire me. Affected by brand marketing over the decades? Of course. Who isn't.

RLee77 and swany like this.

10. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Really? If so, then why the struggle over choice? You're hopefully up there on stage making music, not a marketing statement (either pro Fender, or pro Squier). The whole thing's irrelevant. Play the better guitar.

11. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    The real question is: are you man enough to be seen without a PRS onstage at a dental convention party?

Ebidis, MA6200, Bruxist and 16 others like this.

12. FrancoisVillon

FrancoisVillon Tele-Meister

Mar 17, 2012
    New York
    Uhh...but hey, what does Jack Pearson know about playing guitar anyway?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

fenderchamp, Ekko, Donnie55 and 10 others like this.

13. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    The real question is what does being seen dead really mean, and who started it?
    Mortician humour?
    Being seen, alive, live, is far more potentually humiliating.
    I'm certain of it.

joealso, zezone, RLee77 and 2 others like this.

14. bluescaster72

bluescaster72 Tele-Holic

Mar 4, 2009
    pennsylvaina
    There is bad misconception that what is on the headstock or whether a tube amp makes you a professional ! The answer is hell no not just no hell no. Jack Pearson makes us all look sick ! I concider myself a pro even though I don't make a living at it . and I play a squier sometimes . I know a guy who is a fantastic guitar playing playing a cheap semi hollow squier through a mustang 3 amp and he sounds amazing ! Sorry folks it isn't the equipment that makes you a pro . It's what you can do with what you have !!

Ebidis, telemandave, Felino and 2 others like this.

15. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Meister

Mar 2, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Not to be that guy, but this means that you DO care. If you meant that you DON'T care, you say "I couldn't care less". 'Could care less' implies some ambiguous amount of caring. 'Couldn't care less' means it would not be possible for you to care any less than you do now, meaning you don't care any.

But, uh... on topic... probably only gear guys in the audience would care about your Squier. Most people wouldn't notice.

16. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2004
    trumansburg, ny
    Sure! Why not?

It's ALL in the hands/fingers/brain, right?!!

telemandave and Lucasw1979 like this.

17. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Meister

Got one - nice bass. The necks a baseball bat.

18. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

Mar 15, 2009
    virginia
    There was a time when I didn't even want to see a Squire in my house let alone at a gig, but Squires have improved. Their necks seem to be getting better, I've got two Squires currently. Maybe it matters to some people, it used to matter to me, but I've grown and discovered it's the guitar player not the guitar.

19. Kojoflo

Kojoflo Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2016
    London
    Absolutely, and your thing about 'the better guitar' is part of my point. What makes a better guitar? For example, I said the VM is better for song writing than the Les paul. But it's certainly not as good as the telecaster. I have a MIM strat, it dumps on my US strat from a very high ledge, and I would always play the MIM live ahead of the US one.

My post is about snobbery, the fact I have friends that prefer the squier VM to their own fender VM, but would rather play the fender. We know many people take their squier decals off, and put a fender one on there. I don't see bands playing with squier's but I bet a few of them have them at home. In some instances I can imagine that they love their squiers, play them far more than the guitar they have on stage. So my question was always to address the snobbery, that and or is it that consensus is they're a bit crap?

waymore likes this.

20. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I'm surprised you took the time to type all that out. Make you feel better?

Wallo Tweed and dowielogan like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.