Would you be fine with just 2-3 stomp boxes?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by oceanblue, Mar 3, 2019.

1. hoboroadie

hoboroadie TDPRI Member

Jext Telez White Pedal>Boss PH-1 Phaser>Dunlop EP103 Echoplex. Normally I would pair that with a Hofner Germanium Fuzz>Boss SP-1 Spectrum>Boss OD-1 Overdrive>MXR Phase 45 via a Lehle ground lifter and into another amplifier, but you're asking can I adapt myself to suit onerous and arbitrary conditions...

2. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Holic

A tuner, distortion & delay would work for me if that's all I could use.

3. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

If my amp has really good reverb and you don't count tuners or loopers, then yeah, I could get by with three. A bit of delay to go along with my bit of reverb which are on all the time. And an OD for dirt and a clean boost to equalize volume between clean and dirty.

As is, I do both delay and reverb on my pedal board - both always on but neither too heavy. And an OD and clean boost. So I use four. But I also have a tuner, an EQ (basically just there for the rare situation when I plug in my acoustic guitar) and two loopers (one complex one that stores tracks and one dead simple one for spontaneous stuff where I don't have to go hunting around for an empty slot and lose the moment). And sometimes I add a wah, but rarely.

4. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Holic

Even though I own way too many pedals that I rarely use, I could easily cut tracks or play live without any pedals. I come from the era when having a wah or fuzz was kind of novel(meaning I remember guitars without compact Boss pedals-their introduction changed the game. I come from the time when you had to order a Big Muff directly from EH, and they cost $35). If I was still actively playing live I would have a chain of 7-8 pedals. If it had to be 3, then it would be a Foxx Fuzz/Wah which is a combo of a the venerable Foxx Tone Machine octave fuzz with one of their wah pedals with 4 different wah tapers. Pedal 2 would be a Moog MF-102 Ring Mod. I probably use the EHX Ring Thing more often, but that Moog has been core to my sound for decades now. All sorts of sounds can be had with that pedal. Last would be a EP-2 Echoplex with 3 tape heads. I more often use the pedal version of the Korg SDD-3000 than any of my Echoplexes, but I would opt for the Echoplex because I have been using one since the early 80's.

Foxx Fuzz/Wa--->>Moog MF-102--->> Echoplex EP-2

Hard to leave an Origin Effects Slide Rig compressor(big box version), but I can do more sculpting with the Moog. If I decided the compressor over a modulation type pedal that would be:

Slide Rig--->>>Foxx Fuzz Wah--->> EP-2 Echoplex

Either chain would be flexible enough for my needs. Then again a poor craftsman blames their tools.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.