Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Would welcome input on Squire Thinline Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by lodo, Oct 1, 2014.

1. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Mar 13, 2009
    Greenfield, WI
    I had a CV Thinline for a month or so, a few years ago. It was a nice looking, and good sounding guitar. The only reason I didn't keep it, was do to its seriously thin neck (I prefer chunky necks - like my MIM '69 Reissue Thinline has). Play a CV Thinline first before you buy one. If you like, or can live with its thin neck, then buy it.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, going back to a $ 3.00 bottle of wine after drinking $ 40.00 bottles can be difficult.

The positive way of looking at this is, you'll be more hesitant to buy and buy more guitars. And you never know when you'll need to loan out a guitar and this would be perfect for that.

3. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2014
    Chicago
    Just a follow up for comparison: I had the opportunity to play TWO '72 MIM thinlines this past week, both of them were just as poly dipped as the Squier's are. I was hoping for a satin neck, but that's only on the U.S. ones. The neck felt a TAD thicker at the nut, but other than that had a similar profile to the Squier. The light weight makes even the MIM seem toy like, but like the Squier models, that fades when you plug it in. Seeing as the '72 Squier model has the same pups as the MIM, I'd be hard pressed to justify the extra cash for a S L I G T L Y thicker at the nut neck.

What made me put the '72 down was surprisingly a Chinese modern player Telecaster Plus. The neck on that was chunky by comparison to most Tele's I've tried for some time (though that may be exaggerated by the Jumbo frets). I couldn't put it down, just for the amount of sounds I could get out of its switching options... and it has QUACK!
    I'm no longer GASsing for a thinline.

4. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    The CV Thinline was the first Tele I bought getting back into playing to augment my under repair Ampeg. Since I've been a drummer for 35 years I thought it was a good guitar to get back into playing with.
    As a constant tinkerer, since I've gottent it I've customized it to my liking with Cavalier pickups, a GraphTech nut, Fender Pat Pend thin bridge plate with a bottom cutaway, and all new electronics.
    My luthier gave it a good going over and it plays terrific. Since I doubt I'll ever own an American Fender any time soon, the CV series gives a beginner (or re-beginner like me) a great guitar at a good price. Certainly better than what we had to choose from back in the 70's for an equivalent price.
    Z

5. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

+1
    Two excellent points.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I guess this boils down to whatever happens to be happening this Quarter in the production of MIM instruments.

Many stores just are not ordering very many of these, and so sometimes we form our opinion based on the last hurrah, last big batch of MIM '72 Thinlines that went out (even if that's over 2 years ago or something).

I was just thinking based on the last half dozen MIM '72 Thinlines I sampled in stores, how somewhat silly Ensenada was getting about using every last piece of ash shipped to them. Some bodies were 6-8 pieces AND were still in the 8.5 pounds and heavier category. Maybe they sent all the light ones to Chicago because everywhere I went from CA to TX to FL to Maryland, I found almost all middlin' to middlin' heavy ones.

I guess there's 2 theories behind "Why Thinlines". One, a nice 7 pound guitar. Two, use up all this old ash that'd make an 11 pound guitar if used as a solid body design. ;)

7. nspeer

nspeer TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Evergreen, CO
    I bought one last month and I totally love it. The neck is perfect IMHO. I happen to like the finish on mine, but to each his own. I love the fact that it only weighs 6.8 lbs vs my solid body CV Tele, which weighs 7.8 lbs. My Thinline is extremely resonate and sustains forever...much more so than the solid body CV Tele (as one would expect). I have no gripes with the tuners as they are like any Vintage tuners that have been on other Fenders I've owned and stay in tune well. The pots seem fine as well.

I am going to replace the neck pup with a Twang King, but for now I'm OK with the bridge pup. I can't find much to not like about this guitar, and I paid $100 more for mine than OP did. With all due respect to the OP, sounds like he went in with the expectation of a sub-par guitar for what he paid and that's exactly how he perceives it to be now that he has it. Maybe if it had cost him $700 he'd like it more!! I think it's a great instrument at any price, but that's just my opinion.

8. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2014
    Chicago
    Perhaps you can call the stores in Aurora and Burbank Il and ask them to weigh them to confirm your conspiracy theory... Wait, I'll save you the trouble. Sweetwater has three of them that vary from 6lb 14oz to 7lb 8oz.
    Not an 8.5 pounder among them.

So I guess it is a Midwestern thing. :rolleyes:

9. lodo

lodo TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Colorado
    No need to slam my common sense, or my taste in guitars. I can get my $230 back for it if I choose. I've only been playing and around guitars for 2 yrs, not 30, but in my opinion this model is not what its hyped to be. Over 2 yrs I have tried low and mid price guitars trying to find those I like.
    1st one a ephiphone special 2 bought at a pawn shop, didn't like--sold.
    2006 MIM Strat, didnt like--$300--sold
    1984 MIJ Ibanez Roadstar ll model 130, $200--keeper
    1986 MIJ Contemporary, $500 --will never sell
    1989 MIJ Strat 54 RI, $400--will never sell
    2013 American Special Tele,$680--keeper
    And believe it or not from a pawn shop for $50 a Act ll ME 302 Tele style--no heavey poly, better sound than the Thinline, playes great--keeper as a haul around. So no headstock snob here. Just my opinion, of course all subjective.

10. nspeer

nspeer TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Evergreen, CO
    Sorry if I offended you. No offense intended. To each his own.

11. lodo

lodo TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Colorado
    No offense taken. Everyone has different likes and dislikes. I've had it over a week now, and I'm not as critical of it as when 1st received. I pick it up fairly often cause I like the weight, and the feel is not bad after getting used to it, but put it down fairly quickly, cause the tone is not that great to me. I guess due to all the great reviews I may have expected it to jump out of the box and do a little dance for me :lol:. The high gloss I like and don't like if that makes sense. Put on Fender Pure Nickel #10's a couple of days ago. The frets are very good, but Ive read there soft. I play lightly at home, so not worried about them wearing on me. It may be a not too bad of axe with the right pickup upgrade. I'm undecided on doing that at this point. Will American Tele PU's fit in these? I like the Texas Specials. That's all I know of Tele pickups. I am one of the weird ones that sometimes can grow into a guitar, and Ive tried some I liked in a store, and fell out of liking abit later. Go figure. Basically it can take me several months to develop a firm opinion on some guitars.

12. lodo

lodo TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Colorado
    Didn't like it at all at 1st, but I'm picking it up more and more, and its growing on me. I just play it very lightly at home, so at this point I'll take my chances with the output jack holding up. I have it for sale on CL, but more and more I'm thinking if I dont sell quick for asking price, I may keep it and look into a PU upgrade. May be a nice guitar with that.

13. nspeer

nspeer TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2014
    Evergreen, CO
    Lodo
    glad you're enjoying it more. There's a lot of love around here for Keystone pups and the Twang King neck pup (which I bought for mine but haven't installed yet). Keep in mind that if you opt to just change the neck pup (as I did) you will need to order A RWRP pup if you want to retain hum cancelling in the center switch position.

14. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    I've had a whooped-on 69 RI MIM for several years, and that thing sounds better than any other Thinline I've ever played. If you bide your time, you can still land them for pretty much the same as a new CV. A beautiful, versatile guitar.

15. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2014
    Chicago
    Got knocked for a loop today, stopped in Roxy Music while finishing up some of my Dad's affairs because I knew they had new Squier '51's... and on the rack next to it was the nicest CV '72 thinline I've ever seen (or played). What caught my eye was it had a chunkier neck than on any of the recent '72's I've tried (MIM and Squier). When I picked it up, it was a tad heavier than the others as well (probably just shy of 8lbs I'd guess). I didn't even plug it in, and just playing it acoustically for 15 min, it was louder acoustically and more comfortable than the other '72's I've tried.

I wonder if it will still be there Friday when I'm back in Indiana...

16. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

Jan 13, 2011
    Southcentral Pa
    I'm not a headstock snob either...

I have a First Act ME 537 that I like. I put a wraparound bridge on it and a P90, and it sounds very good. I liked the neck so I decided to upgrade it (avatar).

I'm surprised you don't like the sound of your Thinline, but guitars and pickups can be hit or miss. I tried Keystones in my CV Thinline, but the stock A5 pickups sounded better. The Keystones do sound great in my CV BSB.

Have you tried adjusting the pickups in your Thinline?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.