Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Would welcome input on Squire Thinline Tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by lodo, Oct 1, 2014.

1. lodo

lodo TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Colorado
    Hi all, New member and player here. Playing just coming up on 2 yrs. Have a MIJ strat I really like, and also just got a 2013 American Special Tele, my 1st one. I prefer the feel of my strat, but am really enjoying the tones I am getting from the tele, and the feel is not bad either. Cant seem to put it down. Any way, I have bad GAS to maybe try a Squire Classic Vibe. Ive been reading such good things about them, and there not that expensive. I want something light, and a bit different from the Special. I have a chance to order online a 2013 CV Thinline for $250 total. Looks to be mint. Might this be a good price and choice? I like MIJ and American Fenders, just don't have any experience with the newer squires, so I'm a bit hesitant. How are the necks? My very 1st guitar had fret sprout, and that really turned me off to it. I would like to get my $$ back if I don't like. New their $400. I'm thinking if its not for me I should be able to get 225-250. I have to buy online, there are no shops around to try one. Any owner opinion of this guitar? Thanks.

2. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    Hello and welcome...
    I don't have a Squier CV Thinline, but a nice black Squier VM Thinline... I know that if I could buy a CV Thinline for that price over here, I'd do it...

My thinline just feels a little bit "warmer" than my solid body tele's... Not as "warm" as a my tele with P90's, though.

I actually have a (relatively small) collection of different pickup combinations (yep, GAS), just for the slightly different "sound"...

3. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

Mar 26, 2012
    Vancouver
    Hi, lodo! Welcome.

It's lame to repeat but I think you have to hold the guitar in your hands and even play it a bit before you can tell if it is the one. I have annoyed the crap out of clerks as I search the inventory for the right guitar. It's worth it.

You'll know the right one instantly!

If you are dead set about ordering online, at least try to find one locally so you can see what they are like. I have ordered some real garbage online and paid full retail plus shipping for it. I hope to avoid that in the future. I hope you can, too.

4. gsmacleod

gsmacleod TDPRI Member

Jan 31, 2014
    Dartmouth, NS
    I have a CV Thinline and it is a very good guitar. Looks great and sounds like a tele should. There are no issues with mine and the only downside is that I prefer my CV VB so my Thinline doesn't see as much playing as it should. I'm thinking of Esquiring the Thinline since I want an Esquire and it would probably see me play it more.

Shane

5. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire

+1

Love mine, great player and I love the neck. Kind of strange handling it as all my other electrics are solid body. Sometimes you pick it up off the stand a little aggressively and it shoots up and you say WOOO :eek:

6. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

I tried one and really liked it for a while as is normal for any recent acquisition.
    I bought it used for $300.
    I liked the neck on it but it could have used a proper level and crown even though there wasn't even one mark on the frets.
    I liked the way the edges of the neck were rounded and incorporated that more into my next build.
    The rest of the general fit and finish was excellent.
    I swapped out the nut for a bone one.
    The bridge pick up died after about a month which is a common complaint and of course I replaced that.
    The jack kept coming loose in the cup and so I replaced that with an electro socket.
    I found the pots were kind of odd in the way they did not respond as one would expect with large dead zones at the ends.
    After a couple months I needed some money and since it was perfect to look at, it got listed and sold in a matter of hours for $250.
    Had I not been hurting for cash, I would probably still own it but I have to admit it wouldn't have gotten played very often.
    I often judge things by whether people would buy another such as car manufacturers, motorcycles, boats, guitars, drums etc.
    Although I would probably not bother buying another since the infatuation faded rather quickly, it did look nice on the wall and the light weight was interesting but almost too light.
    It certainly was a thing of beauty to look at.
    I doubt I could find a bare thinline body as nice for less than the price of the whole guitar.
    Many would say they are perfect as is but in my humble opinion, it begs for some changes.
    The bottom line however is that for the price, it's a pretty darn good deal and everyone has to try a thinline once. You won't lose much money on it if you don't like it.
    I always dreamed of owning a thinline of some sort. I can't see me buying another one but that's just personal preference mostly. Now I know that it doesn't suit me in particular but that does not mean it doesn't suit anyone else. One can always expect some sort of improvement wiggle room in lower priced used guitars and overall I wasn't terribly disappointed and at first I thought is was love and then of course I realized it was just Lust. Love grows, Lust fades.

7. lodo

lodo TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Colorado
    Thanks all for some excellent reply's. I bought it this morning for $230 shipped. I really had mixed feelings on a Squire. General word is they are very nice, but I have trouble getting around the feeling that one usually gets what one pays for. Word of a pick-up going bad and jack coming loose sounds like a low level of care given to assembly. But as a new player getting into sound and feel, It seems almost like a addiction, almost to the point of needing a shrink--lol. Thanks again everyone. Hopefully if no bonding occurs I can get close to what I paid in this soft economy.

8. goldwax

goldwax Tele-Meister

Feb 19, 2014
    Los Angeles, CA
    You got a great deal.

9. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2014
    Chicago
    You'll like it, you haven't been playing that long, so you p r o b a b a b l y won't be put off by the most common gripe about it... That the neck taper is too thin (the second most common gripe is the candy-like poly-dipped neck, but some MIM's and the Chinese Modern Player models are dipped as well).

The quality of the VM and CV necks is great, I haven't seen fret sprout on a one as of yet.
    I was between the thinline and the VM Cabronita for about a year (had both in my hands to take up to the register multiple times). I waited for a deal as well ($250 for the Cab).
    The neck profile on both are almost identical, the Cab won me over because of its uniqueness.

Enjoy!

10. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2014
    Chicago
    Triplicate post

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014

11. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Mar 31, 2014
    Chicago
    Duplicate post

12. sjtalon

A steal !

Do keep us posted.

Attached Files:

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes, indeed if it is a sound one.

This CV Thinline is the CV model I have a bit of a soft spot for.

I will say this is well below market for new, so here's hoping it is a nice one and in good repair. The CV line while better quality than Americans have been used to getting from China, is still as people have said a fragile instrument and one IMO with a fairly short lifespan as Teles go. Hopefully any problems will be small and won't mess you around too much. And if it is a pick of the litter one, you did real well.

14. lodo

lodo TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Colorado
    Pleasant surprise today. Its been shipped 2 day priority. Should be in Monday. Got from Reverb. A new seller with just 1 prior sale. I offered 200, and we went back and forth a couple of days. He accepted 230. Link to photo below. It looks good. Hoping for the best. Any one have knowledge on if it will sound abit different than the American Special? Being a hollow body I am hoping it will have Telecaster traits, but abit different from the special.

https://reverb.com/item/288061-squier-by-fender-classic-vibe-thinline-telecaster-2014-dark-mahogany

15. sjtalon

It's a 2013, which is no big deal what-so-ever........................just FYI

Looks nice !

16. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

May 24, 2010
    Scotland
    Coincidentally, I was noodling on an early CV Thinline for a couple of hours, last night. My buddy never takes it out of the house and the finish remains perfect, if a little glossy, for my taste. The pickups in this instrument are very good for playing vintage style 50s country and blues. The neck is a bit thin but beatifully finished and fretted; the body is crazy light- and resonates nicely.

If this was my guitar, I'd knock down the finish a bit, upgrade the switchgear and add an electrosocket.

17. lodo

lodo TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Colorado
    Thought I'd give a update as I received the Thinline yesterday. My initial impression was I didn't really like it much. Its pretty, construction looks not bad, ie fit and finish, but as soon as I strapped it on my 1st impression was its a toy. As for playability I felt it wasn't bad. String tension felt kind of rubbery. Super glossy neck, but that doesn't bother me much. Frets were fine, no sprout and they felt ok. Tone was ok for a $230 guitar, but I would have been unhappy if I'd have paid $400. I didn't feel it was near as good as my American Special in feel or tone. The Special is hard for me to put down due to such a sweet tone, the Thinline dosen't do that for me at all. Switches and knobs work well, but feel cheap. Seems to hold tune (for the 2 days Ive had it), but tuners are small and cheap looking. Hope I don't offend anyone, but I can't help the feeling that this would be really nice beginner guitar for a child, or someone who can't deal with any weight. Mabey I was expecting too much for the $$. I don't see how some of the reviews can compare these to the 80's MIJ. This one will go, keeping my Special.

18. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2003
    UK
    It sounds like it perhaps needs heavier strings and the pick up height adjusting. It'll still be a light guitar (that's partly the point to 'em) but perhaps worth a second chance... an American Standard feels a bit like a toy to me with 9s on! :)

BTW, I don't know about 80s MIJs, but the switches, knobs, etc that came out of my 90s CIJ thinline were lower quality than the modern Squiers I've had. Absolute junk.

19. lodo

lodo TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2014
    Colorado
    Yes, I don't know about MIJ Thinline. This is the 1st one from anywhere I've had. I did not want to stir a pot with anyone, I know lots of people seem to like the CV's. Just my honest 1st opinion. Yes, I plan on putting 10's on it soon. Its just very different from anything I've owned. I have a 54 MIJ RI that I really like. I play it alot because its light--maybe 7lbs, so the lightness of the Thinline was a attraction. The Mahogany is so highly polished, that at 1st it seemed just like strapping on a plastic guitar. And then the smaller hardware made it seem like it was made in I don't know--China. :rolleyes:
    The more I pick it up, the more used to it I'm getting.

20. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine TDPRI Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Rocky Grove, Pa.
    Got mine new last year for $299- and the salesman thru in a nice gig bag for nuttin!! I love mine- no issues at all, except I don't get to play it out nearly enough!!!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.