Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Would a tube still need glass in space

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Mountianjustice, Jul 16, 2016.

1. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    I've got some 5R4WGB rectifiers that could have come out of several places. They're rated for something absurd like 2000 G's. The glass is a quarter inch thick. The plate structure is supported by 3/64th inch thick metal rods. The bases are heavy duty ceramic plastic that can be clamped into the socket.

They were used in:

B-52 Bombers
    ICBM control systems (onboard)
    Naval gun controller power supplies
    Electronics in nuclear impact hardened facilities made to sustain a nearby or direct hit

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Hadfield was in a controlled atmosphere inside a space station...he was not in a vacuum. Had he taken that acoustic on an EVA and strummed it, there would have been silence in the vacuum of space. Unless.....had he placed the headstock against his helmet and strummed a chord, the vibrations would have been physically transferred to the material of the helmet and there would have been some sound inside the helmet....just not out in that vacuum.

3. H. Mac

H. Mac Friend of Leo's

May 26, 2012
    Atlanta, Georgia
    And the tricky part would be finding an extension cord that's long enough!

4. Stone_Cutter

Stone_Cutter TDPRI Member

May 7, 2016
    Central Mass
    You're assuming NASA tells the truth.

5. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Truth about what, Mac?

6. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    "I BUY AMPLIFIER!"

(LetGo commercial reference)

7. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Yes, true true, but I can just imagine Hadfield going through the thinking process of this thread.

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Of course he is. :rolleyes:
    She'll let him know when she comes back.

9. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    He would probably have a good laugh. He understands the effects of the vacuum that is space. What if he had taken that acoustic guitar outside on an EVA and the. Left it there to be just another piece of trash. We have trashed the Earth, and we have trashed to near-Earth space to the point where the scenario of the movie "Gravity" will be a reality within our lifetime...even tough my time here is becoming more and more limited with each day I expect a catastrophe to happen in my life. NASA doesn't tell the whole truth to the general public, but near misses have occurred; and it is only a matter of time before space debris takes out a space station or an orbiting capsule. Don't think that astronauts don't train for this...even if they are playing guitar while they are up there.

Obsessed likes this.

10. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Yup, it is unfortunately just a matter if time. It amazes me how well NASA keeps track of all of the space junk. I believe they are trained to jump in a Soyuz pod to escape.

11. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Gotta love ancient Russian tech!

I'm surprised they took an acoustic up. That's tens of thousands of dollars worth of freight space on the shuttle/rocket/delivery vehicle.

Maybe someday they'll figure out how to clean up junk from our orbit.

Obsessed likes this.

12. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2003
    Cochise, AZ
    On of my favorite scenes is in the movie Space Cowboys when the remove a bank of vacuum tube from the Russian Satellite.

13. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 31, 2009
    Queensland Australia
    Well of course the glass bottle must be complete otherwise the electrons generated on the cathode and attracted to the plate would just wander off on their own as free -radicals penetrating black holes creating massive reversal of the BH's polarity and probably causing the complete destruction of entire galaxies.
    More than likely our own!

See what you've done????????? Just wiped us all out that's what!!!:eek:

DC

14. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    What an awful movie. Two hours of listen to Sandra Bullock breathing heavily. There's plenty of phone numbers you can dial to get the same thing.

robrob likes this.

15. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Holic

Apr 20, 2014
    Ontario
    ...as people who live in a vacuum can attest

src9000 likes this.

16. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Just remember. In space no one can hear you cha cha cha.

17. Lynxtrap

Lynxtrap Tele-Meister

Feb 29, 2016
    EU

18. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    I was amazed Hollywood could make such a bad space movie in 2015 when 2001: A Space Odyssey came out in the 1970's. Kubrick absolutely nailed it.

I'm not sure the glass bottle is needed to contain the free electrons in a vacuum because the pull from the plate is pretty strong. With 400 volts on the plate the electrons move at about 24 million miles per hour from cathode to plate.

richa likes this.

19. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    Surely Hotblack's still spending a year dead for tax reasons?

richa likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.