Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Would a tube still need glass in space

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Mountianjustice, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Mountianjustice

Mountianjustice Tele-Meister

I wasnt quite sure where to post this. But my mind was wandering the other day and im curious as to weather or not a tube still needs an envelope in space. Afterall vacum is vacum right??

El Famoso and billiemorini like this.

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    If you're thinking strictly of the vacuum of space, no, probably not. But, most of what we think of as space is also cooooold. You'd need one hell of a heater to make a tube work. Except for cold cathode tubes anyway.

Wally likes this.

3. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    Wouldn't matter much anyway, the amp might work but you couldn't hear any sound as sound doesn't travel in a vacuum. (does it?)

4. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    I'm thinking the glass is also an insulator so if you had more than one tube in proximity the result could be problematic. But in the hypothetical sense my guess would be no you don't need it. Which of course raises the question of the topology of Hot Black DeSoto's amp. :)

5. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    You have a wandering mind indeed. Here's one to ponder.
    If a tree falls in the forest and there's no women around, is a man still wrong?

6. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia

Tell me about the amp in your profile pic.

7. Mountianjustice

Mountianjustice Tele-Meister

The amp is just a stock ad30vt with a leather wrap, cream chickenheads and chrome corners there is a darker leather under the chrome grill.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016

8. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Actually the glass tube although a vacuum inside keeps the electrons confined to move freely to the plates , if the vacuum "bottle" is not there the electrons would migrate into the plasma of space , Having said this there would be some electrons that would move to the plates but I suspect there would be a diminishment to the effectiveness of the tubes, and as specified the heater would be an issue due to heat disapation or lac there of.

9. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    If I recall heat doesn't transfer too much at all in space so it would have to be a directly heated cathode tube such as a 5Y3 or early triode. Otherwise it would work just fine.

Glass provides little electrical insulation. Dual triodes and compactatron tubes exemplify that multiple tubes do not need glass between them.

This is just like how you could theoretically make a vacuum tube very easily in a vacuum chamber provided it was being done by machinery that didn't need to maintain an open flame.

10. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    I think this is a question for Carl Sagan with a consult from Leo Fender. :confused:

Now returning to the world of reality who in the blue hell is gonna take an amp up their to find out fella? If you got it to work then you really would leave your audience breathless. :p

I'm volunteering for that Mars colony but I figure I'll rent once I get there. GC should have a store there by then right?

11. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    I can't believe we're talking about this but...

Yeah I think you've got it regarding the glass not providing electrical isolation. The electric fields are doing all the work of herding the electrons so that adds up.

But I think we're getting the wrong end of the stick on the heater problem. Oh for a physicist to straighten us out. I don't think either of the to heat transfer mechanisms (thermal or radiant) will be affected. If the elements are in contact both will occur. If they are not there will be no thermal transfer in a vacuum regardless. Radiant transfer will occur in any case. And I'm pretty sure the ambient black body radiation sink of space is not going to slow the heater down much. But I'm way out on a limb here so I'm just gonna quit.

Oh..and I misquoted earlier. It's Hotblack Desiato and I still want to know how big an amp we could physically make if we didn't need to worry about the envelope. Course we would have to connect it to speakers inside a giant pressurized auditorium...I'm thinking the space station could be used to host the concerts.

12. ebb soul

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Herding electrons, that's almost Miles Davis right there.

13. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    You'd also have to protect the components from solar radiation, which our atmosphere handles.

It IS an interesting thought. But there would be many, many engineering qualities to consider.

14. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    In space, no one can hear you scream. Or rock out.
    You know, 'cause of that pesky vacuum stuff.

15. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2012
    Sydney
    So if you were in the vacuum tube if an amp would you be able to hear the amp?

16. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    Nope, your ears need sound pressure waves move your ear drums.

dlew919 likes this.

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Too bad Chris Hadfield chose an acoustic and nobody asked him about vacuum tubes:

richa likes this.

18. richa

Apr 23, 2016
    Washington
    Well clearly my erudition isn't up to that reference...lost me. :)

19. garytelecastor

garytelecastor Poster Extraordinaire

Wait....Wait.....I know about these.......let me see......uh.....I can't remember.....oh yeah!......
    If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there does it make a noise? huh?.....huh?....:)
    What is the sound of one hand clapping? Pretty cool huh?......:)
    What?......this isn't one of those posts?.....well why didn't you tell me?.....of course it's too late now.....boy do I feel stupid...:confused:

20. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2011
    Jasper, TN
    Did early satellites have tubes in them? I would assume so. That would be cool, "the old stock tubes in this amp were pulled from a Russian satellite...."

xafinity likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.