Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Worst pedal you've ever used?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by iansmitchell, Jul 4, 2008.

1. fedor4tw

fedor4tw TDPRI Member

Oct 28, 2012
    oregon
    I have been luck this far as I have done enough research to make sure I dont choose a bad pedal. BUT the tc electronics Mojo Mojo sounded terrible with my setup in the long run. I returned it for a Fulldrive2.

2. Coldacre

Coldacre Tele-Meister

Jan 5, 2009
    Nabootique
    Yahama DI-01 - it's an overdrive/distortion pedal from the early 80's. it's the flubbiest, wimpiest, mushiest distortion you've ever heard. it turns everything into mess.... it's this weird sound of half Tonebender & half DS-1, but the worst parts of each pedal. Hendrix himself would not be able to get this to sound any good, it's that bad

3. tele-bastard

tele-bastard Friend of Leo's

Mar 27, 2011
    Lowell, Mass
    Me too... that s h i tt y ass accoustic sim pedal... man totally false... totally wrong...

4. BigWillyInd

BigWillyInd Tele-Afflicted

Sep 6, 2012
    Interlochen, MI
    Boss DS-1

...untill we modded it. Now it's a happenin' thing. Did the flat mids mod, that .o11guage recomended, and I'm amazed at how much more usable the pedal is.

So now it would be, the crybaby 535Q. 5 or 6 different settings and I didn't like none of em. Gave it to my keyboard player and he uses it with a clav.

5. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 24, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    Digitech multi effects box of garbage. It was my first pedal, at about 14 years old. Terrible sounds!

6. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2011
    Here
    Given my own glowing review, I went out, bought a 2nd hand one, and modded it to Wampler specs. Much nice pedal now! :lol:

7. cynic79

cynic79 Tele-Meister

Dec 18, 2009
    Northern Virginia/DC
    I got a Bass Overdrive years back when they first came out. I was playing in an industrial metal band, and it sounded great for that. I kept the mix knob mostly clean and blended in just a bit of distortion. It sounded huge through that particular rig (P Bass, Carbon head, Peavey cab), but it has been less than inspiring through every other rig I've used.

8. bun malaey

bun malaey Tele-Afflicted

Sep 14, 2012
    Shertz, TX
    Some pedal called the Brian Setzer.. this overpriced p.o.s. was all internet forum hype, with no happy ending.

9. HarveyTBirdman

HarveyTBirdman Tele-Meister

May 29, 2013
    Brisbane, Qld.
    Ibanez Soundtank Flanger.

Or a ZOOM 505?

I was young and noisy.

10. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

Joyo Ultimate Drive, supposedly an OCD clone.....I know many find it to be a great pedal, just did not work for me/my rig. In all fairness, I'm not much of a higher gain guy, but I found the UD to have an extremely narrow window of 'usable' tones, if any. Maybe I got a lemon. I 'gifted' it to a less fortunate musician who's very happy with it. A win in the end I guess.

11. A.B.Negative

A.B.Negative Friend of Leo's

Aug 26, 2008
    Scotland
    I had an Ultimate Drive too. It sounded great in the shop but just didn't work with my setup.

12. tuddy24

tuddy24 Former Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Lombard, IL
    Boss Metal Zone

13. Faraldi

Faraldi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2009
    Barnegat, NJ
    I've got to say it's a steel cage match between the Boss DS-1 and the Digitech Grunge. Both are paper weights in my opinion, modded and otherwise.

14. ShadowChancer

ShadowChancer Tele-Holic

Apr 14, 2012
    Central Scotland
    Dan electro Blacl liquorice fuzz

made by satan himself and to be fair he was having a really bad day , cant even give it away , theres fuzz and theres s--t . If you are thinking of buying one - dont - give the cash to some local greaser and get him to beat you half to death with a lead pipe and rub horse s--t in the wounds , trust me , it`s the better investment and more pleasurable by far :eek:

15. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2009
    NY
    thought of a few more...

MojoMojo
    OCD
    Fulltone Catalyst

16. czech-one-2

czech-one-2 Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2008
    Prague
    You dont like it ? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

17. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Big +1 for the MojoMojo. I was trying to get it to work with my AC15 and the only way I could get it to sound good was with the amp cranked. What the heck good is that :lol:

18. Robus

Robus TDPRI Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Chicagoland
    I still have the one I bought in 1982. Never cared for it and still don't. I drag it out from time to time hoping, nope. Still sounds bad to me.

19. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    I tried the Boss 59 Bassman pedal and couldn't believe how awful it sounded.I always thought the idea would be cool...a pedal that can simulate a 1950s era tweed amp distortion.This pedal sounds nothing like that.I played it through a Fender tube amp expecting a decent approximation of a tweed like Fender tone.Instead it sounded so harsh,cold and unmusical.It made the tube amp sound like a super cheap crappy solid state amp.I tried different settings but they all sounded terrible.How Fender authorised this pedal to exsist is beyond me!

20. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

Feb 19, 2011
    Here
    I've modded my Grunge to have less bass and more mids. I've also shaved off the shrill highs. I literally went around each capacitor in turn and tack-soldered another capacitor in parallel to gauge the results. I quite like my Grunge now!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.