Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Worst pedal you've ever used?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by iansmitchell, Jul 4, 2008.

1. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

Hey, I was just wondering what you guys would say the worst stompbox that's ever defiled your foot, guitar, and tone is.

2. Scatterbrain

Scatterbrain Tele-Meister

Oct 23, 2005
    Grand Junction, CO
    A Memphis distortion box circa 1981. It was completely awful and boxy sounding. There wasn't a shred of convincing distortion to be had from it. I wish I still had it. :)

3. SixString821

SixString821 Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2007
    Delaware, Philly
    i havent had too many pedals, but id say the digiteck screamin' blues was pretty terrible as far as im concerned.

4. Yoni

Yoni Friend of Leo's

Jun 10, 2008
    Joliet, not the prison
    Electro Harmonix Clone Theory- Chorus/vibrato pedal. The effect sounded amazing but the hissing noise that went with it was not so good.

5. casterway

casterway Friend of Leo's

Danelectro Burnt Toast distortion. It fed back so hard it damaged my hearing for days.

6. Beerts

Beerts Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2008
    Freeport Illinois
    the Behringer acoustic simulator stunk! and the Digitech Eric Clapton thing I thought was a sonic disaster too (just my opinion)

7. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 21, 2003
    Near BWI Int'l
    I've kept most of the pedals I've ever gone to the trouble of acquiring, even if some of them aren't sonic wonders.

The one that I ditched that I remember is the Voodoo Labs Overdrive. Very funny, since the Fulltone OCD is heavily based on it. I guess I'm the wrong person to ask.;)

8. Lance

Lance Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    That horrible Boss Acoustic Simulator.....

I'm not sure anything can really be any worse.

9. Oster

Oster Friend of Leo's

May 18, 2003
    Muddy York
    ProCo Brat.

Turns anything into a horrible transistor stack.

10. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Atlanta/Rome, Georgia, US
    There's loads of cheesy pedals that sound horrible from jumpstreet.

As for circuits that I expected to sound great that, well, didn't: Stamps Drive-O-Matic and Prescription Electronics Dual Tone, which is sort of a puzzler to me; I've dug most of the Prescription Electronics boxes I've played, and at one point, Buddy Miller was actually using this one on his board. Must be a player-specific thing. I sounded awful through it.

11. play_loud

play_loud Tele-Meister

Jun 26, 2008
    Sydney
    +11111111

Band member bought one cause he had problems making his acoustic sound 'like an acoustic' through the PA. All you could hear when he played was a constant scratching.. like nails on a blackboard. Totally zapped the all the tone from his Maton.

Didnt take him long to flog it on ebay... I feel sorry for whoever bought it though. :rolleyes:

12. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

At least all those are analog pedals, and can be turned off with a stomp.

I sat in on a jam session once had to use a Boss ME-50 that was setup. The mediocre analog-digital-analog conversion in that makes it truly disgusting to play, even when "bypassed". Far worse than plugging direct to PA. Plastic doesn't even begin to describe it. Just thinking about it raises the hair on my neck...

13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Any compressor.
    OK...I'll be slipping into my Nomex undies now.

14. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    morley bad horsie wah-I didn't like this wah, its too big and silly looking but a lot of people like them.

15. Carvin vintage wah: worst piece of **** ever, hands down.

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    DOD Supra-Distortion. It seemed OK in the store. I lived with it for a couple of years. I hadn't owned a distortion pedal in years and just figured it was me. It wasn't.

A friend of mine has one he uses with his bass for making it sound bad.

17. mojoming

mojoming Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2008
    United States
    I had some sort of wah/distortion pedal made by Morley that was one of the first pedals I ever bought. Two for one right?
    I could never understand why my tone sounded like sh*t all the time. The wah part sucked, and the distortion part did. I believe it even had a volume pedal built in.

18. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

In the 70's I got a distortion+ as a gift. I thought it was horrible... turned out... it was me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.