Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Worst cities in America

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MrCairo46, Jun 13, 2018.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Baltimore has my old ship, the USCGC Taney, as museum on the water.
    Nice port area.

basher likes this.

2. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2013
    Essex UK
    I had crabs once......................

3. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I can't see my neighbors chimney smoke, but only because they're house is too close. The angle isn't right. Please advise. :lol:

4. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Meister

Jul 23, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    This has reminded me of why I didn't like The Wire - set in an apparently rough, tough neighborhood that looked like a British lower middle class suburb.
    I live in the biggest town in Britain ( I don't quite live in Birmingham despite my profile, that's just there as the nearest place people might recognise) without a train station. I bet Baltimore has a train station!

5. gtrguru

gtrguru Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Apr 29, 2011
    Detroit Metro
    I live between number 1 Detroit and number 2 Flint. Closer to Detroit.

Downtown Detroit is a whole different world than it was in the early 2000s. We used to go down there and fear getting killed. Now there is a huge police presence and hipsters everywhere. There are many nice bars and restaurants opened up and a great New stadium.

Flint on the other hand is a complete **** hole. I still would not drink their water. GM is supposed to be opening up a plant so hopefully surrounding areas will get better as suppliers move in.

6. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Funny from blowtorch and good point from Randy.

We came back or were happy to stay after I spent a lot of time in the mountain west and my wife in Europe. We do admit the recent years changes to state government and assault on teachers has changed our opinions.

We enjoy a lot of top cities and probably travel more than many. On best or livable, our home in what some would call fly over country has the benefits of a major university, bike to work, bike to trailhead, hear the brewery's stage from my front porch, and 20 minutes to the airport that gets me to the best cities.

My vote is liking both types but my money's on most livable. Lately there's a really obvious pattern of people selling homes on coasts and moving to our neighborhood.

Blowtorch posts have had me think he lives 1-2 miles from us closer to where the big west Target is. We're over the hill you see from the brewery.

There really is a lot of bad stuff out there. I think of when I drove semi long ago, traveling on my own in S. America, and when I did a 3 month job in the Mideast. One of the branches of where I work is in Milwaukee. I go to Chicago fairly often. It's really easy to think those two are the nation's arm pit and crotch if you're in the wrong spots.

My kids have seen far great away places via airlines. We'll do a cross country trip this summer so I look forward to their reactions on best and livable.

My oldest has been quick to not find resort destinations so romantic because we mostly do VRBO and go independently. Same for some big cities because we'll visit friends and family who live and work in them.

bottlenecker and blowtorch like this.

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Trains? I don't understand.

8. Chester Burnett

Chester Burnett Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'll be relocating this year and have been trying to decide where to go. These lists give you about ten percent of the data you need to look at. After you collect as much of the other ninety percent as you can you still need to spend some time there. My research has suggested cities I've been to that I know I'd never want to live in, even though all the metrics point me there.

9. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    This...
    [​IMG]

used to be this.

[​IMG]

10. BigDaddyLH

Overpriced food? They do have this, though...

[​IMG]

Nickadermis and 24 track like this.

11. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    IMG_0530.JPG

IMG_0531.JPG

No big deal, just a few hundred proud parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc. out to support their kids as they graduate from kindergarten in the 9th worst city in America.

12. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    Vancouver is one of the most beautiful cities in the world and it is expensive to live there, there is lots of rain but the view are spectacular, as with all mjor cities it has its up and downs , I dont go down there unless I have to because I love where I am

getbent likes this.

13. BigDaddyLH

That's the deep point, isn't it? People live in even the "worst" of cities. The gov't already knows about problems like crime and unemployment, they don't need to be reminded. Is the point of the worst list public shaming?

Johnson johnson and jondanger like this.

14. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    This is my favorite graffiti that’s up right now in the city. Someone has been writing “why no Starbucks here?” all over vacants in West Baltimore. This is in Sandtown.

IMG_0425.JPG

Nickadermis and getbent like this.

15. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Meister

May 20, 2018
    Arcata
    I was in the Army and annually went to NTC at Ft. Irwin. That's how I know about Barstow and the quaint sleepy town of Yermo.

16. jondanger

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    We do! This is the view from my office:

IMG_0532.JPG

Well, I work in a cube but you know what I mean. Someday I’ll get my own door . . .

17. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

The NBA team that was (and still should be) in Baltimore were the Baltimore Bullets named after a TRAIN not the refuse from a gun... sadly, they moved to Washington and were renamed, in part, to people not being able to know the history... and even seeing the word bullets was offensive... oddly, when the Minneapolis Lakers moved to drought stricken Los Angeles, they were not forced to change their names to the Los Angeles Breast Implants which would have been more true less horrifying.

jondanger likes this.

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    There has been billions of dollars pumped in to Detroit in the last 5 to 7 years. Not a dime of it has gone to the neighborhoods.

You had 0% chance of getting killed in Detroit going downtown - At any time you went down there in the last 50 years.

Scared whitey assumed that just going down to a Tigers game you were taking your life in your own hands. Same thing that fueled the white flight. And then the city got hollowed out .

I have no comment on lists of this sort. I know my house is worth a hell of a lot more right now than when I bought it 19 years ago.

Bourdain traveled all around the world - and he loved Detroit.

Where you been ?

getbent likes this.

19. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Traffic is terrible. Transit sucks. People are unfriendly and insular. Housing is unaffordable. Rental vacancies are non-existent. There are more coffee shops than doctors. Schools are falling apart. And we didn't get a World Cup game.

Don't move to Vancouver.

24 track and Frank'n'censed like this.

20. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    YES

my town's problems will never be fixed! This sentence is probably creating a political firestorm on FB even as we speak -

"While Atlanta has experienced substantial economic and population growth in recent years, the city’s high violent crime rate continues to hinder the area’s quality of life."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.