Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Worst cities in America

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MrCairo46, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    I grew up in North Baltimore in the 50s - 60s. Rode the #8 down to North Avenue every day going to the old Poly. Learned the city on foot and bus. Back then nobody really messed with kids, nothing to steal. Played a lot of soul top 40 gigs in southwest Baltimore in the 70's, neighborhoods not too different from what you saw on The Wire. It was rough down there then, still rough now.

John Waters was just another kid in my neighborhood. Kind of an odd guy then, but nobody thought about it much. Guess he went his own way from there.

jondanger and getbent like this.
  2. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    We had all those when I was in high school. I used to take the bus down to see the Bullets with Wes Unseld and Earl Monroe, $2 nosebleed seats.

getbent likes this.
  3. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

Barstow is like 25K people who need to hide. It exists so people can hide in modern america. it mostly works. worst place? nah... there are some seriously brutal BIG cities in the US.

4. Troubleandahalf

Troubleandahalf Tele-Holic

Jun 2, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Hamburg extraordinary and worthy of a number 10, but quite expensive. Berlin far more interesting, much cheaper. On the other hand, the music scene far stronger in my old Hansestadt, maybe the most beautiful city in Germany.

5. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Those are some of the most expensive cities in the world to live in. A basic cottage in Vancouver is like a million US - it's San Francisco without the high paying jobs. Anywhere is livable if you're independently wealthy.

Georox, scrapyardblue and CharlieO like this.
  6. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I don't know about Perth, but Port Alberni is not worth talking about.

And when you say "They," do you mean the people who make the lists, or the folks in Vancouver?

24 track likes this.
  7. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold.

bottlenecker, Ben-Zion, rogb and 4 others like this.
  8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I like Crybaby and Cecil B. Demented.

Ben-Zion likes this.
  9. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

May 20, 2018
    Arcata
    Hunter shared my opinion

10. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

And no one has posted Bobby Bare's "Streets Of Baltimore"?

Grangeville, Idaho came in at No. 1. Please don't move here. You won't like all the fresh air and clean water.

11. Jostein

Jostein Tele-Holic

Jan 15, 2012
    Bronx
    My Baltimore story. Me and my then girlfriend and two friends stopped for one hour to get something to eat. When we got back, somebody had smashed the window and stolen stuff from our rental car. This was the first hour I spent in Baltimore.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

There's a reason why a cottage (or even an empty lot) in Vancouver is a million and the median house price in Flint (to take worst city #2) is 28K. You pay for the best.

Now a list which took housing and cost of living into the equation would be interesting, as well.

G&Lplayer likes this.
  13. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    I was shocked to see Salt Lake City at no. 49 as it's usually on the best places to live lists. They say what put it on the list was number of violent crimes. SLC has an east and west side to it, divided by the interstate. So, never the twain shall meet. The west side is a crime infested mess, but doesn't affect the east, so it's really doesn't affect my quality of life.

14. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Apr 21, 2016
    Henderson,NV/SLC,UT
    The main industry in Barstow is meth manufacturing. Been through there many times. You're right, it's a sh!thole.

I lived in Redlands, CA and worked in Loma Linda my last four years before retiring. Very nice places. San Bernadino is adjacent to them and is a real mess. There's a reason San Bernadino and North Las Vegas are on the TV show Cops so much. There's parts of San Bernadino where a single police officer in a patrol car will not go into.

15. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    I was surprised to see my city DC at 12. I mean...crime sucks if you're in the "wrong" part of town, and traffic can be horrendous, but still. I think they just throw these lists together anyway they want.

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

The article explains how they rank cities at the end (but doesn't include the numbers and the formulas). I understand how cities can have "good" and "bad" neighborhoods, but these stats take cities as a whole.

If you were using this list as suggestions where not to move to, you'f miss out on some nice neighborhoods.

17. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    You made it to the end? I'll have to hand it to you for your persistence! I gave up after the 3rd or 4th clickbait.

18. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Hell, I like Balmer. I was born there, lived there for my first 9 years and change and have lived within an hour and change for the past 25 years, still have family and friends there, and stop in fairly often. I know it's got it's problems - so does Philly and I love Philly too.

I was a kid in the 60s there (moved to Arizona in late 68) and my old man was really connected so we had really good tickets to all the Colts games and whenever we wanted to O's games. Everything was at Memorial Stadium in those days. So I saw the glory days of both the Colts and Orioles as a little kid when I could get REALLY excited about them. My great uncle owned the Colts back then and my folks grew up with the Orioles owner and my Dad worked for him at National Brewing and we used to go swimming at his place in the summer - they were really close friends all their lives - my brother's still tight with one of their kids. I was a huge Bullets fan too, but we didn't have connections there so I only remember going to a couple of games. For sure there are really tough neighborhoods but also some really nice ones. I love the Fells Point area, Little Italy, Hamden, etc. Every decent sized city has it's share of good and bad areas but they're the most vibrant and alive places on earth. Hell, I'd live in New York City if I could even remotely afford it.

My old man worked for National Brewing and we always had mini-kegs of Natty Boh and Premium, sometimes Colt 45 in the fridge. I was too little to really appreciate how cool that was but my brother and sister were 12-13 years older than me and they were pretty pleased with that setup. I remember going to work with my Dad on the occasional Saturday morning and he'd take me by the harbor to look at the boats and this was before ANY of the harbor area had been redone and it was an old, industrial urban harbor then. It was a war zone, but I really dug seeing all of the boats down there. I think they were just starting to plan the whole inner barbor redevelopment about when we were leaving.

There are a lot of cities on that list I'd be happy to live in. Hell, Tucson's on the list - I grew up there after Baltimore and still get back there sometimes too and the only downside of living there (to me) is you have to drive everywhere.

-Ray

getbent and jondanger like this.
  19. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    You forgot $2 crab cakes, Polack Johnnies (the best polish sausages in history) and corned beef alley!

My great aunt lived in the pre-gentrification inner harbor. There were ships parked at the end of almost every street, and restaurants where people in business suits were eating at tables while presumably drunken sailors were sleeping on the floor in the corner.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    getbent likes this.
  20. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

May 1, 2018
    Maryland
    I live down 295 from Baltimore and spend a lot of time in the city. Granted I stay in Fells Point, Federal Hill, etc, but never been robbed, hassled, or even inconvenienced, really. LOL at the traffic being bad there. Don't have to travel far to find much, MUCH worse (hint: it's that little town with all the roman-esque buildings at the other end of 295).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.