Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Workshop - New stuff, tools lights, etc...

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by John Nicholas, Feb 5, 2017.

1. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    Enjoy! We'll be expecting book matched tops and exotic head stock veneers on every guitar you build from here on. :):cool:

John Nicholas likes this.
  2. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Maybe not on everyone, but certainly on one of the next ones!!

Last week a stop at the local wood supplier was planned for lunch time...

[​IMG]

This place has two locations, the retail store in located in White Plains which is an hours drive from my office, and the warehouse location which is 20 minutes away (not nearly enough time to search for wood!) The selection available at the warehouse is very small in comparison.

After digging around for a while I found a nice 12/4 x 7" x 7' slab of Ash and an 8/4 x 5" x 10' slab of maple.

[​IMG]

In order to fit the maple in the mini-van, I had them cut off a 2 foot piece.

So following along with Mark's directions, it was time to put the Laguna through it's paces. Cut off a body length section of Ash using the table saw. Then some 8 inch wide flamed maple I got from a local hardware store.

It was time to re-saw!!

First some experiments with some walnut. I'd really like to use the walnut for an accent stripe in the neck I'm building, so the width was set at 3/16inch and the band saw was turned on.

Here's the result.

[​IMG]

Then it was time to re-saw the ash and flame maple.

[​IMG]

Yes, the total thickness will be just over an inch and a half. The ash is heavy and will get some weight relief. And this time I will remember to route wiring channels, this time I will remember to route wiring channels, this time I will remember to route... oh never mind.

Then the two foot section of fat sawn maple was cut in half, the walnut accent piece was stuck between and the maple was turned so the grain was oriented up and down, magically it is now a quarter sawn neck! I got the idea from Fletcher...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In fact, I tried to prepare a bunch of lumber for building ahead of time. Unfortunately we are experiencing some of the coldest weather of the winter. In fact, on Tuesday we're expecting a NorEaster with 18 to 24 inches of snow!!

Here is the pile of lumber to make necks. Waiting to re-saw the fret boards until closer to the time to assemble the necks.

[​IMG]

Of course Harbor Freight was having another sale. What a surprise!!

So these two items were added to the arsenal of tools. The mini router will be dedicated to truss rod slotting. The guides will be used on the new templates to be made. Oh yeah, the router was $19.95 and the guides were 20% off... I never buy at Harbor Freight unless stuff is on sale. You never know how long this stuff will last.

[​IMG]

If it ever stops snowing, the tractor can be moved out to the shed and the tools can be set up so they don't require moving all the time.

To be continued!

RogerC, Greenmachine, MM73 and 2 others like this.
  3. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Looks like you got a lot done in the cold John . Also looks like the saw worked pretty good .
    Yea , it will be nice if it does stop snowing , blizzard warnings down here , calling for 12" to 18" tomorrow , oh joy .

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    It is crazy cold... for spring! I'm not looking forward to the snow.

The band saw is absolutely awesome!!

6. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Resawing like a pro--already!

7. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Looking very good John. Love the saw congrats.

8. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    I see a cool looking guitar body in the background! Are you holding back on a build thread?

9. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    This saw is AWESOME!! Thanks!

Thanks Chris!!

That is my Explorer build... when it finally gets warm, the thread will be resurrected!

10. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Why no updates for a while??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yup... bitter cold with a blizzard thrown in!!

Today was nearly 40 degrees, so some work got done this afternoon. Began the process of straightening up, cleaning up, re-arrangeing and throwing crap out! There's still too much snow to be able to get the lawn tractor out. Hopefully in the next few weeks.

[​IMG]

Here is a before image of the back of the workshop. This is after moving some of the crap off the benches!!

[​IMG]

After a few hours of moving stuff...

[​IMG]

Another view of re-arranged benches. Does anybody else find themselves piling stuff on every flat surface?? Man there must be a way to stop doing that!! Any suggestions??

[​IMG]

This next week is supposed to be a bit warmer. With next Saturday being in the mid 50's!! Yeah!! Maybe some more cleaning can get done, so finally the shop can be used again!!

RogerC and mPacT like this.
  11. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Yea , that storm put a damper on a lot of folks . We dodged a bullet with that one , mostly rain and wind here . A buddy of mine up in Fly Creek got around 40" .
    Funny with the flat surfaces , every flat surface in my shop is stacked with something , I think most shops are like that after some use . I've got a good day or 2 worth of cleaning to do in mine .

John Nicholas, DrASATele and RogerC like this.
  12. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    Wow, serious snow fall! Lets hope its the final thrashing from a Winter on its way out.

Maybe you need more shelves or a big pegboard to hold small tools?
    Low grade wall cabinets?

Not to give you any ideas that your wife would hate, but that lot sure looks like it could handle an outbuilding with power, gas, and water.

13. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    Ouch John, I dodged that one too with only a dusting. The previous one left a 1ft of very heavy stuff that hasn't really melted yet. Hopefully today we get some good melting in so I can start to plan my shed build.

As for the shop....I'm trying to do something I saw Roger C talk about which every time I enter the shop I'm putting something away, every time I have to look for something I put something away. Yes, takes much longer to find stuff sometimes but it keeps the mess to a minimum.
    That snap together shelving you have by the window, I love those I have 6... 4 in the shop holding wood. Trying to get the other 2 from the attic but first the attic needs shelves. Can't have enough storage...or wood ;)

14. Deneb

Deneb Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    You has done much... I have to do the same job in the near future. So I'm subscribing to your thread.
    Congratulations on your big purchase! This saw is impressive...
    But how beautiful! The mighty power of nature...

15. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Yeah, we got hit pretty hard.

The reason for so much stuff being stacked on flat surfaces is due to the lack of "storage" space. That is the main goal of this thread, to make and build what's needed to keep the flat surfaces free for working on guitars!!

16. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    The weather has been very changeable and will continue to do so for the next few weeks. Today was in the 50's, but on Wednesday the high is supposed to be 28! Then Saturday is going to be 60 and Sunday will be in the mid 30's!! It's crazy weather for sure.

Yes, shelves, cabinets, pegboard... the tough part is figuring out what needs to be where and how to best store it s it's easy enough to access. All while not being so completely anal about it that guitar building takes a back seat.

As for your last idea, that's what my wife has been saying for a while now. That we need to build a workshop/studio for our "hobbies". The only trouble is here in New York, it's not inexpensive to do something like that.

Maybe if I sell a guitar or two here and there.... :D

17. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Chris,

I'm really glad all you got was a dusting. We still had some snow from the 1 foot storm that you guys got... the good news is the sun melted a great deal of the deeper snow today. All we need is a week or so of sun and temperatures about 35 degrees and it'll all be gone!

The thing is, I put away the tools and stuff there are places for after each work session. The trouble comes when a bunch of "new" stuff is added all at once. Whether that is some new tools or more lumber.

For instance, I built a downdraft table, that now sits on top of the crosscut sled on the table saw. Now I have a spindle sander that sits on the floor, because the ROSS is on the small table (there isn't enough room for both!

So my grand idea is to build a rolling work station to fit both sanders, with a shelf for the downdraft table. Inside would be sandpaper shelves, a drawer for belts & sanding tubes, handheld sanders, etc...

Not sure if you saw the photo, but I made a wood storage rack. The trouble is I got a bunch of free wood, that looks like I will never really be able to use to build guitars. The good news in that department is a friend at work asked about free pallets at work. I told her that I had a bunch of really good stuff I found there. Her husband is so excited about the "gift" of wood. They want to build planters and stuff at their new house.

What I've been noticing lately in Youtube videos of builders, is many places store their body blanks vertically, same with templates! So at some point it would be very cool to build something that could store body blanks.

But in addition, I'm sure I can't be the only one, when you have more then one build at a time going, it would be nice to have a place to "store" the body & neck so it's safe from damage, yet easy to access.

I know... it's crazy!!

DrASATele likes this.
  18. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I'm glad that you feel my "clean up" project can help you in some way. There is still more to do and learn along the way.

It's very difficult not to get distracted by all the cool stuff going on. Your pin router build is fabulous! It would be wonderful to have such a tool to do finer work.

Thanks! The saw is absolutely amazing!

The power of nature can be very beautiful. My brother told me that we should use that photo for next years Christmas card!!

Deneb likes this.
  19. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    John, you're having more influence than you probably realize. I've got a project going that I'm going to post, largely inspired by your thread, and guilt over what a disgraceful mess I've allowed my shop to become.

I found this guys project to be a good model for what I'm doing--he's stuffed 45 drawers into quite a small space. 45 drawers, can you imagine the storage? At first, I thought the drawers he was basing the design on were too shallow, but if you look at most of your tools, materials, small parts, fasteners, etc., you'll see just about all of them will fit into the 1.5" drawer depth, and deeper drawers are very easy, and cheap as can be, with his system. Not so sure about the concrete workbench, but the drawer system is pretty brilliant, IMO.

20. Deneb

Deneb Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Helpful link, Rick!
    I am impressed! Look how the guy makes a concrete block for a workbench.
    He is clearly using the "official technology/theory" of building the Egyptian pyramids.:)
    But if without jokes, how to move such a workbench in case of relocation of a shop to another place?!
    Although the idea is very interesting.

21. R. Stratenstein

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    :D Yes, if you watch his build thread for this, he says he was surprised that he could slide it around a little, all by himself, but later he admits that he had to get help from his father to push it into its final location.

As far as moving goes, you could lighten it a lot by removing all the drawers, but it would still be extremely heavy. (Even if you had 10,000 slaves and big rollers like the Egyptians:lol:).

You could throw it in as part of the deal for the buyer of your house, and build a new one in your new shop.

But from what he says, I think he would do what I would do, pry off and salvage as much of the top wood as possible, then drag the concrete outside and attack it with a big sledge hammer, then move the cabinet and drawers to the new shop, make a top that's only half as thick as the first one. Maybe that would make it light enough to move for your next new shop!

Deneb likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.