Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Workshop - New stuff, tools lights, etc...

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by John Nicholas, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2013
    Mid Sussex, UK
    As someone who works in the lighting industry. 4,000k is your 'neutral' white light. The lower the number (2,500k to 3,000k) the warmer the light is, anything above 5,000k can appear quite blue. In the Mediterranean the natural daylight is nearer 9,000k so it does depend where you live as to what your eyes are used to. The appearance of colour will change with lighting level. 9,000k lighting in a workshop at 200 lux will look quite different to 9,000k outdoors in Spain where it is 100,000 lux. Another factor to look for is the 'CRI' or 'colour rendering index'. This is a percentage scale comparing colour rendering to natural daylight. Old school 'SON' high pressure Sodium streetlights are around 45 CRI (pretty much monochrome with hardly any colour rendition). T5 and T8 fluorescent lamps can be anywhere from 65 to 85. Most LEDs are in the 70s - 90s range. Retail display lighting is generally 90+.

Any other questions? Fire them at me...

John Nicholas and RogerC like this.

2. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yes. It is STILL a requirement at many schools, including mine. Students don't touch digital until they learned conceptually on film. 35mm B&W. Full manual. Our dark rooms are huge...

On another note, a reasonable number of movies and TV shows (super 8, The Walking Dead, etc), are shot exclusively on Super 16, just because of the texture and tones.

3. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    I'm with ya.

Doing the same thing myself.

John Nicholas likes this.

4. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    That's really great news! It's best to start with film in any case, so you learn the basics and traditions of photography.

While I no longer shot film, there is a richness, depth and saturation that digital just can not convey.

Even in the cases you listed where the images are captured in film, then digitally edited and distributed.

At which school are you a teacher?

bparnell57 likes this.

5. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    You may not guess it from my posts, but I am actually an engineering student at Drexel University. I'm getting a product design minor, so I walk past the dark rooms in the school of art and design all the time. I also looked into course descriptions and requirements for taking some photography courses later on, if I choose to do so.

6. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Nope, never would have guessed that you were a student.

Besides, I assumed (we all know what that means! LOL) that the 57 in your user name was the year you were born!!:confused:

Good luck in school! :D

7. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    See, and you're making another assumption: Maybe he was born in '57 but is just now going to college :D

8. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Of course you could be right... see foot, insert into mouth!:eek:

RogerC likes this.

9. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    See this is why I liked when the forum showed your age. Hahahaha. 57 was just a significant year for the family. I'm an average aged college student.

Hard to guess my age when all I talk about on here is tube technology and the days of the past.

RogerC and John Nicholas like this.

10. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Got to do a little more work on the shop. I built a downdraft sanding table, which has it's own thread.

The table saw throws a great deal of sawdust everywhere. It's something that really needed to be addressed. Sure, it doesn't get used much for guitar building, but it's awesome for building jigs and other stuff.

It's a Craftsman contractors saw, so it's open on the bottom and back. To begin the sealing process, a piece of 1/4 inch plywood was cut to size. A 4 inch hole was cut into the center to attach the dust port.

The really tough part was getting this new "dust fitting" attached to the saw.

Ends up the only real way to do it was to disconnect the legs from the machine. But the top part is cast iron and very heavy, so there was a bunch of fiddling around to get my dust fitting in the right place, then it was tightened up.

[​IMG]

Here's a view into the open back. Which will be the next in line to get some kind of removable cover.

Here's a view from the bottom of the saw...

[​IMG]

Next up was all the hardware, screws, pickup rings, tuners, etc that were all over the place. Picked up some storage boxes over at the big orange store.

This is the first pass through all the hardware. When ever an order gets placed, some additional screws and stuff will be ordered. You know what really stinks? Not having a specific screw you need and having to stop progress to wait for one...

Hopefully, someday I can be at the point where that doesn't happen. Well at least not often!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MM73, R. Stratenstein and RogerC like this.

11. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Now here's a deal you don't find everyday. One of the employees at Home Depot I have friended over the years asked if I could use an oscillating sander.

I asked how much, he said, no I'm giving it to you!

Just picked it up! This is awesome!!

Thanks Willy!

IMG_1846.JPG

12. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

I had one of those at school. It was a decent machine and even though the kids used it all the time, it held up to their abuse. It is more substantial than the ROSS in terms of construction... No belt sander though...LOL.

13. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Can't beat that , good score John !

14. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    Nice! I've got that exact same unit, and I've been very pleased with it. I got a steal on mine too, but not quite as good as yours :D

15. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

That's fantastic, John. I like my BOSS as a spindle sander much better than the ROSS. Nowadays, I keep the ROSS set up as the belt sander and use the BOSS for spindle sanding. I could say I got it free, sort of, but actually it was a gift from my wife and sons.

Really like your small parts organizers, too!

16. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Thanks everyone!

You know that was my first thought after seeing the BOSS! Cool! That's a plan.

Those small parts organizers are very cool. Gotta get more! ;)

17. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    To make room for a new bandsaw, the old one needed to go. It was the very first real power tool purchased for my adventure into guitar building. So in some ways it's the end of an era.

[​IMG]

It was listed on Craigslist on Wednesday and sold on Thursday!!

A wonderful couple bought it and will be putting it to good use.

While waiting for the coupe to look at the bandsaw, there was some time to clean up the BOSS. Some serious rust removal was in need...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone have an idea of how to remove the rust stains on the top?

There are two spots that would be nice to remove....

18. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Once you get the Laguna all setup and going you won't even remember you had the Craftsman . :D
    Well , maybe you will , we all start with what we can start with , if it gets you where you want safely it did a good job .

19. John Nicholas

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Guess what finally got delivered?? Yup!! Finally came in...

[​IMG]

This saw is a thing of beauty. It's truly amazing!

Did some test cuts, the most important cut to me is a resaw cut. So I grabbed this piece of cherry....

[​IMG]

You can see the table saw burn on the one side, theres also a divot towards the far end. The goal was to slice off a very thin piece and leave a 1/4 inch remander.

[​IMG]

A close up...

[​IMG]

This would only require some sanding to be perfect for use. Amazing.

Also took this shot of the BOSS next to the ROSS, didn't realized they were nearly the same size.

[​IMG]

Tomorrow, if its warm enough, hopefully I'll get to cut more with my new toy.

20. adirondak5

Oct 24, 2009
    Long Island NY
    Congrats on the new saw John !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.