Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Working on my first custom shape. Could use some help.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jsil13, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    It's a five way switch like a Strat. The on-on-on mini-toggle is a mod of mine that puts a dummy coil (magnet free Strat pickup) off on in series or parallel with the pickups. Kills about 90% of the hum and gives it a particularly nice sweet Strat like tone in parallel.

2. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    Don't be afraid to make a lot of those stiff paper templates. Stare at them and anyplace that you notice as being not perfectly awesomely beautiful, make another template with that area changed. Moving a curve 1/16 of an inch can make a huge difference. It is worth it to take a lot of time on this. If it seems not quite right on the paper, it won't get better in wood. Cool project!

Jsil13 likes this.

3. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Thank you. Good advice. Similar to what I did before I got my first tattoo. I carried a drawing around and looked at it for a year before I permanently added it to my body. Haha. So kind of the same.

Once I get two suitable ideas to choose from I plan on building mock ups out of some scrap wood to get a better idea of what they look and feel like with a neck bolted on.

4. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Sounds killer man. I couldn't believe how much those P90s hum when I first used them. I love the sound just wasn't expecting them to be noisier than my tele pickups. The on/off toggle switch is what I used to use on strats to turn the neck pickup on in any position so I could get that neck and bridge combo like a tele.

5. nresponse

nresponse TDPRI Member

I think this one looks better than the first. I think moving the flat input jack area to the lower curve and rounding that section would be something to consider.

Jsil13 likes this.

6. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    That one is still my favorite as well. I think what I'll try is to match the radius on both horns and I'll try to move the jack to the bottom. I'm using electrosockets so I could probably just round off that corner and still keep the jack in the same spot. Thanks for the input. I appreciate it.

7. Hags

Hags TDPRI Member

May 7, 2016
    Northwest CT
    Jsil13 likes this.

8. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Tele-Afflicted

Jun 26, 2014
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    One suggestion to keep in mind, do the round over before drilling for the electrosocket. Otherwise the bearing on the router bit will put that hole into your roundover.

It's looking really good. Keep experimenting until you love the design.

Jsil13 likes this.

9. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I can't look at that guitar; it messes up all my carefully-scheduled purchasing plans for the next three years...

Jsil13 likes this.

10. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    IMG_0803.JPG IMG_0804.JPG
    So I decided to experiment with one of the weirder shapes. I don't have a band saw yet so I drilled around the perimeter and cut it out with a jigsaw. I have a ton of sanding to do, but now I know that I need a band saw. This shape is a firebird that I changed some of the lines then took the horn from a Mosrite ventures guitar and put it on both sides. Before I route the neck pocket I plan on picking up a 2x6 to practice on. This one is kind of an experiment. I still have two more body blanks. We'll see how this goes.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.