Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Working on my first custom shape. Could use some help.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Jsil13, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Hey guys. I've always customized my guitars. New pickups, switches, pickguard etc. Then I got into partscasters. Then a bit ago I did my first finish and full on assembly and wiring. My first finish was a "Telebird" that I've been gigging with the past few weeks. IMG_0580.JPG 88ADEBE7-1FC9-40AC-8C94-09FAA18B7F5D.jpg

Now I want to try to make my own pseudo telebird. I didn't want to copy the firebird body exactly, so I slimmed the body up a bit and added a horn on the bass side. I'm not crazy about the shape, but it's growing on me. I've done some pretty bad PhotoShop of some other ideas combining a few other shapes. IMG_0643.JPG IMG_0645.JPG

My friends wanted me to build them some like my telebird. What do you guys think? I have two alder blanks and one black limba. IMG_0598.JPG

This is one idea here.
    IMG_0670.JPG IMG_0671.JPG

Any input would be appreciated, and if it wasn't for this forum I wouldn't even consider such an endeavor. You guys make it seem like the first time I try something is the 20th time.
    Cheers.

BorderRadio and TwangToInfinity like this.

2. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Advice I'd offer is get scrap lumber to cut the shape out of first and stick a neck and strap to it and try that out for a few days. In between you should hang it on the wall in your regular guitar hanger and see if the shape continues to be inspiring every time you walk in the room.

Sometimes a handful of sixteenths of an inch make a huge difference in the length or curve of the lines around a guitar body.
    Make sure to ease the edges over as you plan on the final guitar too as the feel of the shape thickness can alter a lot with even a small round-over. I learned that with my TDPRI Challenge Build guitar, thick and chunky after I cut it out but much thinner feeling after I used a slightly too-large router round-over bit.

The very narrow waist on your guitar reminded me of the general proportions of the St Vincent guitar
    [​IMG]

http://guitardesignreviews.com/2011/06/fundamentals-of-electric-guitar-design-part-1/

3. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Thank you Jvin. I'm definitely still in the drafting stages, but making one from scrap is a good suggestion. This might be dumb, but what kind of scrap do you guys use to test on? I just checked how much it differs from the Firebird template and it's a little more than 1/8". The body itself is still pretty big like a firebird especially with the added horn on the bass side.

I had Staples print me out Jazzmaster, Telecaster, Firebird, Mosrite, and Les Paul plans. I'm still just messing around with different combinations of all of them. I plan on using an aftermarket neck, but this is my first scratch build.

Thank you for the video too. I'll check that out before I get more involved in this. Could you link to your challenge build thread? I've seen your comments all over this forum. I really appreciate the help.

4. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

May 2, 2013
    Twangville
    whoa that telebird is incredible!

it will be neat to see this next one if is as awesome as the telebird!

Jsil13 likes this.

5. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    2nd one reminds me of this First Act:
    [​IMG]

Jsil13 likes this.

6. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Thanks man. That was my first attempt at finishing, but it came out pretty good. Was definitely a learning experience. I have another one that I'm currently clear coating that's seafoam green.

7. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Definitely not that far off. I'm no good at PhotoShop obviously. Haha. Working with paper is much easier. I'll have a few different paper cut outs later on today that will give me a better idea.

8. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Meister

Aug 7, 2015
    Somerset, Europe
    Nice job on the Telebird. Good to see you try original shapes, I like that.

Personally - and it is obviously in the eye of the beholder - I would have the radius around the top horn match the lower one, or vice versa. The top is more pointy/jazzmaster and the lower is fatter and Tele/Firebird. I like the top one most.

But then if we all had the same ideas all guitars would be the same :confused:

awasson and Jsil13 like this.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Jsil13 likes this.

10. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Thank you man. I could just trace my extra telebird body, but I want to do something a little different. Copying it just seems kind of cheap. That's a good idea matching the radius on the horns. I'll give that a shot. When I combined the firebird and jazzmaster the horn from the firebird did look really fat. I thinned it up a bit, but I'll bust out the compass and match it up with the bass side.

The first crappy photoshop I did when I traced it onto paper it looked really fat. My original concept was essentially the treble side of the firebird blended into the bass side of a jazzmaster. I'm going to mess with a bunch of different options before I decide anything obviously.

11. Snook

Snook Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2015
    Ohio
    First Act peghead looks like a beer can opener.

Jsil13 likes this.

12. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Wow man. That looks nuts. Definitely one of the crazier builds that I've seen. Thank you again for your help. I'll read through both threads now. Cheers.

13. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    FWIW, I like your template more than I like the "First Act" above.

To my eye, because the lower bout is more pointy and less curvy, I'd like to see the two upper horns less curvy too. That is, more like they are radiating from the bridge rather than mimicking the curve of a classic acoustic guitar shape. Otherwise, I think it look great!

Jsil13 likes this.

14. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    IMG_0679.JPG
    Here is another one I drew up last night. I pretty much took the firebird horn and exaggerated it a bit. It's a little less extreme looking, but still needs work.

15. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    D8F06F3F-1E86-4FFB-B861-2ED1CFFB840C-4965-000003A55783DDAC.jpeg
    Here's a Shelton Electric Instruments Solar Sonic. This is part of the inspiration for this build.

Zepfan and Dan R like this.

16. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK

17. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    That's pretty close too. A little more angular. Did you build this one? I like the bevel cut where the knobs and switch are. Pretty cool and definitely unique.

18. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    It's a Fretking Esprit. Like an explorer/Firebird cross. I like the shape a lot.

I can get killer sounds from the 3x P90

Jsil13 likes this.

19. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    Oh yeah. Now I can see it. It's a firebird with a reverse explorer on one side. Very cool. I like P90s too. I just sold my dual P90 SG a few months ago. In fact I believe it's somewhere in the UK now.

Does the mini toggle just turn the middle pickup on and off?

20. Jsil13

Jsil13 Tele-Meister

Feb 14, 2017
    Boston, MA
    IMG_0682.JPG IMG_0684.JPG
    Here are a few more drawings. The first one is looking good to me. If anything it's too plain. Haha. The second one still needs work. I like the idea, but the body ended up way too long. I think that if I essentially lower both horns and the neck pocket a bit it won't look as long. I measured diagonally across and it's actually the same length as my telebird. But then you have that other horn too. It looks skinny but it's 1/4" wider at it's skinniest point than the telebird is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.