Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Work In Progress: Telecaster Modern Player Plus modification

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Gorodetsky, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Gorodetsky

Gorodetsky TDPRI Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Sweden
    What's up guys, new guy here. I'll describe this project further down, but first a quick question for the soldering experts out there. This is pretty much my first time soldering, and I was about half way through the wiring job when I realised I may have read the diagram all wrong. Can you take a look at this picture and compare it with the diagram to see if I've done it upside-down or something stupid like that? Please excuse the burnt frays, rough joints and stray heat shrinks....

EDIT: Nevermind. I see now I've done it all wrong! Don't have tools to clean this mess up so getting myself a new pot and switch!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So yeah, I'm currently modifying my Fender Modern Player Tele Plus with a set of lace sensors and all new controls including a TBX tone pot, a push/pull vol. pot, and because I'm a huge nerd I'm putting a "killswitch" in there as well instead of the original mini toggle. After a few weeks of planning, obtaining necessary materials and making the hard mods on the guitar body and pick guard it has come down to this. Stay tuned.... I guess!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017

2. Geetar78

Geetar78 TDPRI Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Boston
    Hey man. Just came across your post. How's your project going? I did the same thing with my Am Std and posted a few pics including the routing work. Check it out: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/the-telecaster-plus-club.143255/page-23#post-7502462

Fwiw, the diagram you're using might work fine for you but there's a better one I got directly from Lace. Despite how the one you're using is labeled, it's not an official Lace schematic (per my source at Lace). I can post the one I used if you're interested, otherwise, good luck man and be sure to post when you're done!

Gorodetsky likes this.

3. Gorodetsky

Gorodetsky TDPRI Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Sweden
    Heya. Thanks for stopping by this thread. Just received a new pot and switch so I hope to get started again soon! I'd be very interested to see your diagram and see if I can work the TBX tone pot in there.

Your Plus looks perfect by the way! My "Plus" won't look even half as beautiful when I'm done, haha, but as long as it sounds nice I'll be happy, I'm very excited.

4. Geetar78

Geetar78 TDPRI Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Boston
    Hey! No problem, for years I had been trying to get this mod done but for various reasons, other things got in the way. Years ago I installed a kill switch in my backup tele (also a Standard), but never modded my number one until this past winter. So I've always been interested in what others are doing.

My project didn't go without its own issues either. I received a dead red Lace Sensor, and found I was using the wrong diagram (I'm not a wiring expert). I got everything wired up and had a great sounding blue in the neck but no output at all from my dually. My control plate wasn't working like it should've either because I had a couple of wires crossed.

I got in touch with a lead tech at Lace and he was kind enough to help tremendously via a series of emails while I waited for my replacement red/red dually. He sent me two diagrams. The first was an official Plus Deluxe wiring diagram from Fender, but I didn't use it because it was confusing and had too many other things going on. I needed something more simple that addressed just my needs. The second diagram I did use and it worked like a charm. Hopefully it works for you. If you want the other diagram let me know, but I would take a look at this one first since it's way more straightforward.

My biggest concern during this mod was whether or not the string spacing on the hardtail strat style bridge I got would be the same as my guitar body. I did a ton of research and made more measurements then I care to remember. Lol. Ultimately I was fine with what I bought and it works great. Intonation is great, stays in tune, great tone. You're modding a modern player which already has the bridge humbucker route, and hardtail bridge which is great because that was the hardest and scariest part of the job.

Anyway, keep me informed along the way, I'm sure it's going to look and sound great! If you have any questions feel free to ask. Hope one of these diagrams helps. Good luck man!

Attached Files:

5. Gorodetsky

Gorodetsky TDPRI Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Sweden
    Oh man, all that work and the sensor turned out dead? That sounds awful, probably doesn't happen often but fingers crossed for the set I bought. Thanks so much for the info, time to heat up the solder gun and get started!

Here are some pictures of the guitar at its current state, all gutted. I used a regular old hand file to shave a larger opening in the pick guard for the neck sensor, sketchy craftsmanship but not noticeable when the pickup sits in there. I also had to drill a larger hole (1 or 2 millimetres extra) in the control plate to fit the killswitch. I used the chisel and hammer to cut and gain more depth in the control cavity as it was a little bit raised in the middle, now I can fit the gigantic push/pull vol pot and TBX tone pot in there, covered it up with some shielding.

Attached Files:

2blue2 likes this.

6. Geetar78

Geetar78 TDPRI Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Boston
    Yeah when I reported the dead pickup to the company I ordered them from they sort of scoffed at me and doubted it because it's so rare, but in the end I was right and it was. They sent me a replacement via 2 day shipping with a return label for the defective dually so I was happy in the end. It's rare though so I'm sure you're fine. I employed a chisel as well at points. Lol. The bump in the control plate cavity is a pain for sure! The extra pot from the TBX and the push/pull switch make for a tight squeeze in there when you start wiring up. Like I said though, I had to route my bridge cavity to fit the dually, which was scary. I didn't want to route too much, because there wouldn't be any wood left to mount the bridge pickup plate to. So it was done partly with a dremel and partly with a chisel and done slowly, checking clearances along the way.

You look like you're in good shape though. The hole in the control plate will be covered with the washer/nut of the kill switch, so if there's any rough spots there it won't be noticeable. Your filing job in the neck area looks fine too. If you need a closeup pic to see any imperfections then you're doing good. Lol. It's a guitar not a beauty contest anyway, right? Like you said, with the black p/u (assuming you went with black) in there with a black pickguard it should blend in nicely.

Your guitar reminds me a bit of my backup in the sense that it once lived as an all black guitar. It started as a black with white pickguard, I changed the pickguard to black for a bit, then completely stripped the lacquer and paint off, sanded, and recoated so now it's a natural wood finish with black pickguard. I'm in the process of turning that one into a fretless, and changing out all of the hardware. I'll eventually repaint as well. I don't have the time to work on it right now though. Lol. It'll be a slow going (maybe winter) project. Lol.

Good luck the rest of the way man, can't wait to see the finished product!!!

7. Gorodetsky

Gorodetsky TDPRI Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Sweden
    I guess there will never be a shortage of guitar projects! That nat finish tele sounds nice, might be able to do something similar with this one if I ever find the time (I probably won't lol).

Well, here it is. The finished product. I ended up following your scheme, Geetar (thanks again). I don't think this specific mod on this specific guitar has been done before so at least now we know it can be done. It'll be interesting to see how long the electronics are gonna hold up, the quality of my wiring is nightmarish and I'm questioning if it's up to gigging standard. I'll be more patient next time I do any kind of wiring for sure. The guitar works, but I've yet to play it through a decent amp and record it. I'll do some more testing, maybe let a professional do some intonation and maintenance and then report back how it sounds/feels. :)

Attached Files:

8. Geetar78

Geetar78 TDPRI Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Boston
    Hey nice job man! You'll have to let us know how it sounds through a good amp. Glad the schematic I provided helped! I was so glad to get those single coils off my tele. Even though it sounded great, the twang just isn't my style. It's always cool when you can mod a guitar and make it the way you want it. I'm sure your wiring is fine. What's the worse that can happen? A solder joint loosens up and you resolved it. No biggy. Since you didn't change your bridge assembly the string spacing and saddles are all the same so you shouldn't have any intonation issues. Nice job man and report back on the sound when you can. Thanks for keeping me informed along the way!

9. hfasteve

hfasteve TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Hi,
    I just purchased a modern player telecaster body and am going to be wiring in pickups and controls. I can’t seem to find a diagram for the tele plus that includes the tele neck pickup, middle strat, and bridge humbucker with coil splitting mini toggle. Does any one know where I can find this .

Thanks

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.