Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

wood stained by dog urine

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nojazzhere, Oct 5, 2017.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    No...not my Tele (thank goodness).....but when I got my female Beagle mix a couple years ago, apparently she didn't understand she was supposed to be housebroken. As a result, she had a few "accidents" on the carpet in living and dining rooms. I treated the spots quickly with various carpet cleaners, but the stains would come back. Since there is hardwood flooring under the carpet, I've decided to pull up carpet completely. Unfortunately, the wood underneath is seriously stained, and so far I haven't had any luck dealing with it.
    Since there are many people here at TDPRI who have a LOT of experience with all aspects of wood, I thought I would turn to you guys for advice. I have tried rubbing with mineral spirits, hydrogen peroxide, light sanding, and even on a small spot finish stripper. I'm trying to avoid a full drum sanding, and it doesn't have to be "perfect". (just less conspicuous if possible) Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Toto'sDad likes this.

2. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA
    Hmmmm dog urine has ammonia in it and it has nitrogen too both of these can "barn" wood ( like it does with your lawn.

If the stain is black (like a burn) you may have to sand it out. OR maybe try something that would bleach it out...... like bleach.

However, bleach is also sort of an acid so maybe a neutralizer of acids.

I suspect unfortunately the stain, like a burn is pretty deep in the wood so sanding may be the only option.

I hope I've given you some info to think on

Gary

nojazzhere likes this.

3. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Let's try a little science. The ph scale is used to make comparisons of how acidic or how alkaline a substance is. Anything above 7 is alkaline; below 7 is acidic.

Bleach is not an acid. Depending on concentration; it's about 12 on the scale; very alkaline and could be used to treat acid spills - but caution- it's highly reactive with some acids.

Ammonia (pure) is also alkaline - about 11ish, usually less than bleach.

Despite the presence of ammonia, urine is usually slighty acidic - a little over 4 to close to 7, depending on amount of water and other dietary and exercise factors, as well as how efficiently kidneys are filtering.

There's a bunch of products - Nature's Miracle, Clorox also makes a treatment product for pet stains.

If you don't want to go to a pet store and see what they have, I'd try a little diluted bleach on an inconspicuous spot, maybe 1/2 laundry bleach, 1/2 water and see how that works. Adjust blend to optimize results.

mitchfinck and nojazzhere like this.

4. scrapyardblue

scrapyardblue Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 6, 2007
    central illinois

5. Speedy454

Speedy454 Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2013
    Highland, IL
    Try some oxalic acid. Find it at any good hardware store. I have removed a lot of stains from wood with it, and it doesn't fade the wood near as much as bleach will.

6. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2011
    Branson, Mo
    Having just refinished a hardwood floor with many black stains, my experience is that the stains may be very deep and difficult to remove with chemicals or sanding.

However, I found that replacing boards was not difficult. Drill a 3/4-inch hole in each end of the board to be removed. With a circular saw, connect the two holes with parallel cuts made the full depth of the board. Remove the center of the board between the cuts, then remove the rest of the board and the nails. For the replacement board, remove the lower part below the groove on one side, put glue on the tongues of the new board and the adjacent board, then slide it in.

You can experiment with matching the finish before you put in the replacement board.

DonM and teletimetx like this.

7. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    In case you don t know, NEVER mix bleach and ammonia.

bparnell57 and DonM like this.

8. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    Part of me is a bit disappointed we aren't having a lively discussion differentiating between the eventual tonal characteristics the urine from various canine breeds imparts upon the body blanks to which it was applied pre-finish.

What do you think? Three coats of chocolate lab on a mahogany blank should give a mellow tone? Should I sand between coats?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Deeve and nojazzhere like this.

9. MonkeyJefferson

MonkeyJefferson Tele-Meister

Oct 26, 2010
    Nonurbana
    I have a beaglewood tele that still sounds good, a little throaty at times, but lively....

985plowboy likes this.

10. Tootle

Tootle Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2015
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Just tell them your floors have had a custom relic job, & charge extra.

Teleterr and nojazzhere like this.

11. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Well the most radical form of wood bleaching is what is called two part bleach. I've used it when I have two or more different pieces of wood where you want to match the base color between the pieces. Here is a good article that explains bleaching in a nut shell.

I've also had to use this to remove old pen ink stains from desks.

With the stain removed, you will need to build up the base color of the wood with dye or stain and maybe adding tinting to your top coat.

http://www.woodmagazine.com/materials-guide/finishes/get-the-color-out-with-wood-bleach

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    nojazzhere likes this.

12. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Meister

May 7, 2015
    atlanta
    or you could just put down new carpet.

13. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Holic

May 2, 2013
    Twangville
    maybe some hydrogen peroxide and sunlight?

one idea is to scrap them and replace them with other bourds taken elsewhere from the floor, somewhere from the back of a closet or under cabinet etc

Flakey likes this.

14. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    My dog urine stained Tele has a lot of bark.

OK. I don't have much to offer. Let us know what works for you. I'm living with two dogs right now.

SecretSquirrel likes this.

15. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2003
    WALTHAM MA

Thanks for the science breakdown this will help me in the future

Gary

16. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    I've used distilled white vineager with great success as a treatment and preventive for pet stains on carpet and fabric. It may work to remove the stain from the wood. I cannot speak from direct experience in that specific of a realm.

17. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Something to think about. We lived in a rent house years ago that the floor was stained up something terrible, clearly beyond something you could fix. It was there when we rented it. Back before the internet, so our research was kind of limited, we talked to the land lord and a paint store, and came up with the idea of painting it with floor paint. It came out pretty good, we lived there a couple of years after the floor was painted, and it still looked pretty good when we moved to the first house we bought. It darn sure looked a lot better than the wood we covered up.

18. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Tele-Afflicted

Sep 22, 2014
    Pahrump, nv
    You could also try re-moisturizing the stains with water/ammonia to remobilize the liquid then mop up the excess and liberally apply baking soda to the surface to absorb remaining liquid and help quelch any unpleasant aroma.

It may take a number of applications to fully or satisfactorily remove the stain, from you wouldn't want to "soak" the wood, to prevent swelling, and may even want to universally apply the mix to avoid a "spot"

19. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

May 31, 2008
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Oh, good...for a second there I was thinking this relicing thing was really getting out of hand! o_O;)

nojazzhere likes this.

20. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jul 2, 2015
    PNW USA
    :lol: Yeah, I thought it would be about building a guitar with this wood!! :confused:

...you could make a P bass. :D

I'll let myself out.

nojazzhere, Anode100 and LGOberean like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.