Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Wood Source

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by GotTheSilver, Apr 17, 2017.

1. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County

You probably have never ordered wood from Dallas to be delivered to Port Neches Texas ( 95 mi from Houston)....:)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017

2. GotTheSilver

GotTheSilver TDPRI Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Has anyone tried the roasted mahogany body blanks from guitarwoodexperts.com?

Also, does anyone know if guitarwoodexperts.com's Honduran Mahogany is sourced from Central/South America or someplace like Fiji? It was mentioned that they supply a ton of wood to Gibson. Gibson uses "Honduran Mahogany" that is grown in Fiji. Does it make a difference?

3. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Holic

With the disaster afflicting northern ash, this is the golden age/swan song for lumber cut from that species.
    I'll probably never have to buy lumber again, unless I get tired of ash.
    Thank God for a friend with a skid steer and a Woodmizer saw mill!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Tele-Holic

Apr 10, 2011
    CO - again

6. GotTheSilver

Jan 4, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Thanks again everyone for the input! I just ordered a roasted Honduran Mahogany body blank from guitarwoodexperts.com, as well as a Honduran Mahogany neck blank and an ebony fretboard from Gilmer. Can't wait for them to come in!

7. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Sorry for the late input, but you should check out Clark's Hardwood in Houston. All sorts of nice wood

8. GotTheSilver

Jan 4, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Thanks, nosmo! I will have to go check out Clark's.

9. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2012
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Let me know what you think after you go there. They have everything from Spruce to Ebony. Lots of big 8/4 stock. Probably 3 or 4 buildings you can drool through to pick your own pieces. I think it's like woodworkers nirvana.

The state, not the band.

10. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.

11. LPTyler

LPTyler TDPRI Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Huffman, TX
    I like Clarks. They have some wide mahogany planks, and tons of beautiful wood.

12. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    In regards to the difference between kiln dried and air dried - my experience is that air dried tends to warp less and splinter less than kiln dried. I've got a few pieces that my father in law milled some time back. I've got a few plans for them. I can say that the stock I have, although thicker, is as straight as an arrow despite some pretty drastic humidity changes over the years.

Again, this is my own limited experience.

I think when it is kiln dried, the fibers in the wood react with the loss of moisture at an unnatural rate. So, they will contract at points causing stuff to warp. If the rate of loss is slower, the fibers will compensate. Much like your clothes shrinking when you throw them in a dryer as opposed to maybe air drying them.

I'm not an expert on this. I'm just telling you what I have seen with some of the wood I've used over the years.

And you probably should worry if I'm the guy doing your laundry...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.