Wood Putty

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by GotTheSilver, Feb 9, 2019.

1. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

There is an interesting video(s) on the Timbermate using as a grain filler. I also watched the Timbermate founder's video it should dry hard, he drill, files, and saws the product and should not rub off. I sell multiple brands of these products and they all have a place. Most colored putty does not dry rock hard but is used to fill nail holes that you are not going to finish after.

2. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I use either Durham's or bondo, as they're both very fine grained and permanent when finished. Durham's has a lot of advantages: it's cheap, easy to mix in tiny amounts, and a can of it is likely to last for your lifetime if you're just doing guitar work with it.

Blue Bill likes this.
  3. nosmo

nosmo Friend of Leo's

I've used Durham's, Bondo, glues with sawdust (including Titebond, CA, epoxy, etc).

For divots in the back of the neck, where you're going to have your hands most of the time, and with an opaque finish, I would use Bondo.

I have never used the stuff Ron suggested, but I would never argue with his experience. He did say "light duty", so I'm thinking it's probably not for this particular application.

Edit: I use Timbermate for grain filling only.

4. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Minwax high performance wood filler is similar to Bondo, smells as if it's another polyester resin. The Minwax brand has sawdust (wood flour) in it instead of micro glass beads like the autobody filler. Won't take stain but is fine under a solid finish. But I wouldn't try to thin it out enough to use it as a grain filler.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.