Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wood Putty

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by GotTheSilver, Feb 9, 2019.

1. GotTheSilver

GotTheSilver Tele-Meister

Jan 4, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I am hoping someone can give me a recommendation for a better wood putty. I have been using the Timber Mate water based wood filler. The problem I find with the Timber Mate is that it is not hard enough after it dries. You can basically rub it off with your finger, as if your finger was sandpaper. For me, this makes it hard to use because it is extremely easy to over-sand and even just handling a piece of wood will wear it off. I would like to find a putty that has more staying power. Something that dries hard and is sandable, but doesn't just rub off.

Any suggestions?

2. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Holic

Aug 22, 2018
    Washington
    What finish are you going to put over the putty?

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    Why would you be handing the filler that much?
    Put it on, lightly sand, then cover it with sanding sealer.

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    I've always used plastic wood. It is mostly cellulose and acetone.

DonM and Treadplatedual like this.
  5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Pretty much all wood filler putty is junk.
    I fill voids with superglue or epoxy. If the inclusion it is bigger I fill it with another scrap of wood.

6. GotTheSilver

Jan 4, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Vinyl sealer then nitro.

7. Freeman Keller

Aug 22, 2018
    Washington
    OK, I have never seen a putty (or for that matter, glue) that will not show up under nitro. Therefore I don't use it. I try to make my joints so good that there is no gap that needs filling. If I have to fill a gap (usually when I'm doing inlay) I make a powder of the parent wood and mix that either with CA or epoxy. That works pretty good on dark woods like rose or ebony but shows really badly on lighter wood.

On opaque finishes I don't think it matters - any filler will work.

8. GotTheSilver

Jan 4, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Thanks, Freeman. It will be an opaque finish. Sorry I didn't mention that.

This is not a gap in a joint. I am still pretty new to guitar building and woodworking in general. I just carved a neck and it came out great except for a couple of spots where I went a bit too deep. I want to fill those spots rather than take the rest of the neck down to that level.

9. Freeman Keller

Aug 22, 2018
    Washington
    I've actually used Bondo for a repair like that and shot nitro over it, but I think almost any filler would work

IMG_4399.JPG

Tezuka27, nosmo, DonM and 1 other person like this.
  10. GotTheSilver

Jan 4, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Where would the world be without Bondo and duct tape?! :D

OldDude2, dougstrum and 2blue2 like this.
  11. GotTheSilver

Jan 4, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Thanks. I may give that a try.

12. GotTheSilver

Jan 4, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I've used wood dust and super glue around inlays, epoxy also. Hadn't thought of doing something similar for these divots. That may work.

13. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

Sep 24, 2010
    Monterey CA
    13M210_AW01.jpg

I use JB weld wood weld. It's a two part epoxy.
    It's fast and sets up in about 10 minutes. You can get it at some hardware stores. I use it so much that I order the pro size directly from jbweld.com. I use it for chip out where it will be painted. I have used it where I have routed too deep in a switch cavity...fill in a bit to add support. Also if you have a screw hole that is too big you can fill it and then put the screw back in. This happens to me when the head of a screw used to hold the bridge breaks off....or one of thoes little screws on some tuners. The hole will be covered by the bridge or tuner but you have to get the broken screw out which makes a hole too big for the new screw....fill and screw.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    DonM, Treadplatedual and RogerC like this.
  14. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Durham's water putty works great. Sticks well, sands smooth, doesn't shrink. It's basically super-fine grain concrete. It sets up in about three minutes. And it's cheap. I think Dura-bond is about the same thing. I've used bondo and JB Weld a lot, too, they work fine. IME, both bondo and water putty will shrink slightly over time, if it's thicker than an eighth or so, so give a thick layer a day or two to cure thoroughly before sanding.

38H2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  15. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2018
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thank you, I've been looking for this stuff and didn't know what it was called!

16. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

The old recipe of chalk (the type used on blackboards) and linseed oil is hard to beat. To colour it just add a SMALL amount of artist oil paint. Alternatively use coloured chalk. Takes a while to dry, less oil equals quicker drying, but it does dry harder than most current commercial "puttys".

17. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    use this for light duty . . it's lacquer based so it's easily thinned and dries relatively fast...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RMNVTI/?tag=tdpri-20

and BonDo for anything somewhat more demanding,,, Never use water-based filler... you won't live long enough for it to dry thoroughly.

and never use any filler for anything structural...

rk

John Nicholas likes this.
  18. Anita Bonghit

Anita Bonghit Tele-Meister

Oct 17, 2015
    Colorado
    Anybody use Liquid Nails ? I'm thinking about filling a few pickguard holes and re drilling.

19. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Maine
    Really, Ron? Have you ever tried Durham's? I've been using it for decades, for all kinds of woodwork; I love the stuff. I've used FamoWood a few times; it's good, but I think the Water Putty is harder.

20. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    ''

yeah, for securing paneling, sheet rock, some framing... You can use it to hold a Mirror to the wall... fill gaps in sloppy construction... but never on a guitar.... it's glue.. flexible glue... (more or less) and not suited for anything I can think of related to a guitar..

Durhams? Nope . . the stuff I listed above has been my number one "go to" for about 45 years.... it's not broke... so . .

and harder shouldn't be an issue.. you do not use any of this stuff for any thing structural... ya do not fill old screw holes... rebuild neck pockets... or broken head stocks... what you CAN do it fill any irregularities remaining after the problem has been repaired correctly... so any pending paint will find a smooth surface.... that's ALL it's good for,, it has about ZERO shear strength and Minus ZERO Tensile strength...

rk

wadeeinkauf likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.