Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wood... A Pickup Winder… Pickup... Tone …My experiment.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Deneb, Oct 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Deneb

Deneb Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Thank you Nick, for sharing information!

nickhofen likes this.

2. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

No problem...you know it is easy to dye epoxy resin what ever color you want, since manufacturer uses black resin...just drop some drops of alcohol based paint in the resin before mix.How much is some drops?
    2-3 at 13 grams will make the resin change color.

If you do not have alcohol based colors, just add the colors some shops uses to fill cartridges form inkjet printers.

When you finish with the mix,resin will look like the green part of the handle of this knife.

I made it with casting since the wood was missing and I wanted to use this specific wood for my handle, imagine that this resin part has only one drop of paint and it is not transparent at all.
    OK it will look better when polished,:lol:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017

3. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Ok, thanks!
    Nice handle at the knife, Nick.
    How did you blacken the blade on the knife?

nickhofen likes this.

4. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Thanks Deneb.
    Actually the blade is made from an old file,high carbon steel that is why it is so dark.
    If you want to blacken your blades,just heat them and quench them in oil, let the blade rest for some minutes and then wipe them.
    Another method is to put them in acid for a while and then rinse the metal to neutralize the acid.

Deneb likes this.

5. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Ha.. Using your advice Nick, I'll try to make a black rail poles for pickups.

nickhofen and awasson like this.

6. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Now I'm busy building the Pin Router and other equipment for my workshop. I had new ideas about pickups. But, it's a little later. Some of the parts are ordered for new experiments. I will order some parts in the coming days. Some changes will be in the winding of pickups.
    Last week I returned to the pickups that I had built earlier and they participated in the tests.
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/wood-a...ne-…my-experiment.592471/page-25#post-6907584

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/wood-a...ne-…my-experiment.592471/page-26#post-6937302

I wanted to change the magnetic system and try to improve the sound of these pickups. I succeeded not at once, but only with the fourth try. I Note that I was very surprised by the tuning of the strings: e, B, G, A. At these poles are various magnets. In the coming days I will do a demo with these pickups. Also these pickups I will install into this guitar.
    Unfortunately, I made a little photo in the process.
    20171129_132624  a.jpg 20171129_140526 a.jpg

7. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Here is a demo of these pickups.

8. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Clear, articulate and quiet. What's not to like?
    How do they do with high gain?
    Tasteful use of the tremolo. These pickups are making me want single coils in my Strat now.:cool:
    I'm going to get a set of these some day.

Deneb and awasson like this.

9. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Those are really nice... there’s a nice balance between all three pickups. I’m particularly impressed with the bridge and middle pickups by themselves. The bridge pickup on a Strat always seems to be a weak point especially if it doesn’t have a tone control on it and then if it does, the middle pickup may be negatively affected. Both middle and bridge pickups are sounding nice; by themselves or in the “in between” positions.

On further interest, what values are you using for volume and tone pots and what values are the tone caps?

Deneb likes this.

10. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Thank you very much!
    I'll do a demo!
    Thank you very much!
    Welcome! Let me know when you want it!

Zepfan likes this.

11. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Frankly, an unsuccessful record. The soundtrack has a rattling /
    buzz. I do not understand where this problem comes from. I'll try to remake this demo.

12. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Thank so much, Andrew!
    I use the maximum value of 10 unite. Also I do not use tone caps. The potentiometers I use in all my tests -500K.
    Pot 200 K, I postponed for "not bedient" guitars and pickups.

awasson likes this.

13. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Great guitar and pickups! I am quite surprised that you use no tone caps. I am really curious what a tone cap would do. I think it would open up the low end some. Might be worth a try.

14. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Many thanks!
    I would try a tone cap for the bridge pickup. But, for the purity of the experiment, I did not do it. Now I'm ready to do it :), but I do not have a wiring diagram). More precisely, I have not yet looked for it.:)
    It's not a problem, I'll do a demo.

15. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I'm using no-load tone pots with the single coil rail pickups you sent me.

For testing and fussing around with settings, I put the tone on maximum which removes the tone stack from the signal path. I have no tone control on the middle pickup but I do have a tone control on the neck pickup and the bridge pickup.

For my own playing enjoyment, I will rollback of the tone control on the neck pickup and sometimes I'll drop the volume control down a little, maybe down to about 8/10 to darken up the tone a little.

I don't remember what my volume control is now. I did have a 500k volume control but it was faulty so I changed it. I think I used a 500k as well. I will have to check next time I change the strings. I am quite happy with the single coil rails you made. I'm running them into a very simple tube amp with a single tone control; no reverb or delay and they sound terrific.

Deneb likes this.

16. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Thank you very much for your appreciation. For me, your opinion is important!!!

awasson likes this.

17. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Well, here's a demo (fast) of high gaine like you wanted.

I will not be able to test more with this set of pickups as this is being sent to the new owner in USA.
    So I need to dismantle these pickups from the guitar.
    I must say that I liked the sound of these pickups. I think the new owner will be pleased.;)

18. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2013
    10-uh-C
    Deneb, sir, I just had to take a moment to "tip my hat". I first encountered your thread while you were still tweaking your winder. Now, it seems, you are a pickup man of international esteem. Bravo! I just love pickups. They make me nuts. Again, congratulations on your success.

Deneb likes this.

19. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Jay Jernigan, sir, thank you very much for appreciating my work and for your kind words!!!
    Thank you for finding time to observe my thread! We are united by a common love for pickups.

Steve Jobs once said: If you are a normal man (and pragmatist), then at a first difficulty you will refuse what you are doing, but if you love your job, you will overcome difficult times and achieve success. Because you love it!*
    Once again, many thanks to you!

*sorry for my bad English. I'm not sure that I correctly conveyed the meaning.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.