Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wood... A Pickup Winder… Pickup... Tone …My experiment.

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Deneb, Oct 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Deneb

Deneb Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    The polarity is the opposite. But a winding direction do not know. I need to clarify!

Staypuft1652 likes this.

2. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA
    Deneb

I love your work. Very ingenious, thanks for sharing all your methods and experiments! Keep them coming!

3. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Thank you for your kind words!

4. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    So, I did not turn over the humbucker. I swapped places wires from a humbucker in a wiring scheme. I also did some changes in a level magnetic induction. Well, you'll see everything in the video next...

The humbucker is well combined with the level output of singles pickups.

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Sounds great. One HOT Humbucker.

Deneb likes this.

6. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Thank you so much for your appreciation!

7. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Well done! One observation, when making your individual coil lead connections, if you move them down to the end of the coil in the radius before taping them on, you will gain valuable space between the coils that can be taken up with more winds if needed.
    Rob

Deneb likes this.

8. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Thank you Rob for your good advice!

9. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Here is a demo of 1/2 inch humbucker on the third guitar:

10. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Great clean tone with great harmonics and bell chime. Love the dirty tone, not too bright, has a sweet creamy attitude.

Deneb likes this.

11. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Holic

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    That sounds really good. Great playing, too... I've stolen some of your chord progressions!!!

Deneb likes this.

12. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Oh, it's nice to hear. Thank you very much for your appreciation!

13. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Thank you so much for your appreciation!
    These chord progressions belong to Stevie Ray Vaughan: Paradise Riviera:);).

14. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    That's a really nice sounding humbucker. Great playing to by the way.

The sound is articulate. It's not thick and mid-heavy like some humbuckers can sound and the you can hear all the detail when it's played clean and it balances nicely with the middle pickup. Really nice dirty tones too.

By the way, I've been experimenting with the rail pickups you sent me a few months ago. When they arrived, I didn't have a 5-way switch so I put them in with a 3-way and played them with that for a while. I've got them on a loaded pick guard so I can swap them in or out fairly quickly.

I pulled them out and swapped in a set of A5 pickups with very similar resistance readings and played it for about a month dialling them in to my satisfaction. They sounded great and I was quite conditioned to their sound so I decided to swap your rail pickups back in to see how I felt about them now that I was conditioned to the A5 pickups.

I'm using a 500k volume and a pair or no-load 250k tone pots (.022uf cap) with tone on neck and bridge; middle has no tone control.

Well... Although I do like the A5 pickups, they don't compare the the rail pickups. The rail pickups have noticeably more output. A lot more output and more body. I don't know if "darker" is the right term to describe the difference because they are lovely and detailed but that's the term that is generally used. They are more full range than the A5 pickups I pulled out. To my ears they sound like they have a wider, more balanced frequency response, especially the neck and middle pickups.

I've got the pickups almost level with the guard and I still have to raise the bridge pickup a bit. It's a little thin and unbalanced with the middle and neck. I'll spend a few days getting that sorted out.

I didn't have a lot of time to demo them last night but that is my first impression after being conditioned to a standard set of Strat pickups. These are quite unique and in my opinion an overwhelming improvement over a set of pickups I was quite happy with.

I'll get busy and do some recordings. In the meantime, here's the neck pickup doing a familiar tune (recorded when I initially installed them. No effects, straight in, clean):

Deneb and Zepfan like this.

15. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Thank you so much!
    Thank you very much for your appreciation! Yes, the balance with middle pickup turned out good.

Thank you for your kind words about the rail pickups. I'm very glad that you liked the sound of these pickups.
    Excellent record and a great play in the demo.:cool:
    I'm looking forward to your new records!!!

16. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    I've wondered if the use for a rail pole of transformer iron (electrical steel). It will reduce losses on eddy currents, increase inductance and magnetic permeability.
    Hey guys, who is strong in theory, what can you say?
    Antigua Tele, Derek Kiernan maybe you comment.

17. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2008
    Princeton, NJ
    Yes, transformer grade steel with low eddy current potential and a high Q is a fantastic way to get inductance while keeping clarity. If you know what you say about it, then it's a great material to use.

18. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Thank you for your comment!

19. Deneb

Feb 16, 2011
    Ukraine, Dnipro
    Can someone tell me is have filled EMG pickups?
    Is it paraffin, silicone, epoxy resin???
    Is it a hard or soft a material?

20. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

I have an old EMG pickup from '93 it is filled with a hard material ,I guess it is epoxy resin.
    Some pedal manufacturer use epoxy resin also on PCBs so you can not see the components there are under the epoxy and copy them.

Deneb likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.