Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wondering if i need a Marshall JCM 800

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bftfender, Jul 23, 2018.

1. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    played em all again today, def sticking with the DSL for the next few songs..quick observation...jmp loves standard tuning but when i dropped to d & c the DSL def had a sound closer to what i was looking for..so it could be tuning factor influencing me at the moment and i cant believe it but i just lined up a 7 stringer and an ibanez shred machine..so now some emg's are going to get involved..i did not see this coming but the heavy stuff is bringing me back to dayz gone by and dang i wanna headbang before i get to old

2. patriotplayer90

patriotplayer90 TDPRI Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Memphis
    I had one with 6L6s. Sold it because it was a bit much for what I needed. But man, what an amp. That had so much bottom end and balls when boosted. I also had a Peavey 5150 at the time, and the JCM smacked it around in every way imaginable.

The issue that I had was that it sounded a bit thin at lower gain settings (I couldn't get enough volume to rectify this), and it wasn't especially versatile. With a boosted bridge humbucker pickup, especially a Gibson, it can't be beat. But the other positions weren't as nice, and single coils were pretty meh. The front end is hot, aggressive, but stiff. The cleans were lovely and woody with the gain dialed back. It would probably be a wonderful studio amp.

3. swervinbob

swervinbob TDPRI Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Texas
    I was thinking about an 800 also, but you're right. The DSL40CR rocks. I sometimes use both the stock speaker and have an Orange 1x12 V30 plugged in. Sometimes I just have the V30 without the stock speaker

4. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    made mine into a head and with 2x12 cabs its blowing my mind Optimized-DSLconv2.jpg

5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    If you want something that does almost-JCM but more look for a Silver Jubilee. Originals go for not that much scratch, especially if you get the 88-89 black one.

'Old Marshall Guys' don't like them, but the clean channel to me covers 95% early JCM territory of 'clean with crunchy edge' but actually has better adjustability and the pull-clip is a winner for some stuff, and the boost while tricky to balance is all-but-metal nirvana.

The same people who decry the diode clipping will say 'get a 4104 and slam it with a (silicon clipping) pedal'.

In a 40lb shortbox head or 50lb compact 112 combo, it's a lot of amp in little real estate.

I have the new 2525 version and looking hard at the 2554 at present. The Mini Jubilee is a great little unit. Sometimes I just want a tad more power.

It kills the old 4210 JCM800 I had which didn't sound bad but needed the bleed fixed and I think a better speaker.

bftfender likes this.

6. 69ChevyP/U

69ChevyP/U TDPRI Member

Oct 26, 2013
    pacific nw
    The stock Celestion G12M70 in a 4210 will not let you know what that amp can do. I have an 82’ 2204 and an 82’ 4210. The 4210 is basically a 2205 in a 1x12 combo. It’s a great grab n go amp that really brings the roar when allowed to push a 4x12 cab. It has more gain than the 2204. I dropped an early 80’s G12-65 in it and that made all the difference in the world. I play the 2204 more, but I won’t ever let go of my 4210!

bftfender likes this.

7. swervinbob

swervinbob TDPRI Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Texas
    The reason I was kind of thinking of an 800 single channel is that i pretty much use everything like a single channel now. Even patches on the Helix. Set it for as much gain as I'm gonna use and roll the guitar volume up and down.

bftfender likes this.

8. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    '83 JCM800 4104 50 watt, 2 matching celestion 12" that are 3 days older than the amp, in white elephant tolex a real joy to play!

DSCF0029.JPG

9. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Yes my impression was the stock speaker in my 4210 held the amp back, thin at low volume then buzzy and compressed.

I just bought an 83 that is functional but needs a heap of TLC - people selling it got it as part of a restaurant lease and I made them a lowball offer knowing have the bits and knowledge to clean it up. About $US450 - that's a steal here.

It has some nondescript speaker that would blow if the amp were healthy. I'm going to look for something with some tonality.

Interestingly the outout is low volume (very dusty crackly pots and I reckon dead caps) but the distortion channel doesn't seem to have the bleed. Quite healthy tone with no waspy thinness.

69ChevyP/U likes this.

10. Zeonoid

Zeonoid Tele-Meister

Dec 17, 2008
    Slovakia, EU
    of course, there need to be jcm800 in every single household

bftfender and 69ChevyP/U like this.

11. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Jun 7, 2017
    GCDB
    Be careful you don't get stuck in a "gear spiral" I have seen this happen, esp, when some one gets in the local "pro room" for the first time w/ a enabling producer /owner, "oh you gotta try this and we can put that solo thru this, and double track that using that & this and my buddy has X that we can rent ....." and some how the hours ad up & the project never quite gets finished or mixing is a nightmare, and you end up with a big bill for a bowl of mush.

Much better to pick a few choice pieces, get good sounds on tape, finish the project, review, and plan on what you might like to do down the road. My gut reaction is you have more than enough going on right now, I would encourage you to get one or two Marshalls and two or three guitars working really well together and get all the basic tracks finished. Then go back and perhaps add a little something here and there if necessary. Often times a totally different voice is needed, and if you have just dropped big money on a different yet similar voice you have limited your options.

Never approach a project as "the only (or last ) time I will get to do this" That creates clutter in your mind and on tape as you try to stuff 10 lbs of product in a 5 lb bag. Always approach a project as both a finished product AND laying the ground work for the future. (the "back to back" thing gives me pause.. it's nice to let a project settle before setting off on a new journey, lest you simply repeat yourself w/a different accent..) First or comeback efforts that are kept simple have a track record of paying off, it's the latter indulgences that are some times problematic.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Zeonoid likes this.

12. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Nah - just turn your mids and treble up to painful levels, crank your volume all the way up - you're somewhere near having an actual '800!

:D

My main band's other guitarist has one, and this is how it sounds to me.

On a more serious note - it's a seriously great-sounding amp, so yes, you do!

I find Marshalls to be bright / fierce sounding - much better to put a TS-style pedal in front of it for a little more control, at volumes that don't knock the birds out of the trees.

69ChevyP/U likes this.

13. 69ChevyP/U

69ChevyP/U TDPRI Member

Oct 26, 2013
    pacific nw
    Great score! Bring that puppy back from the dead and let him bark..

14. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

Apr 25, 2015
    ma
    Your jmp is all you need. There is a difference between earlier mv models and later ones. 78 and 79 are the best years for 2204 heads.

gridlock and bftfender like this.

15. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    JCM900’s......again, the model number is important. One of them, the JCM 900 Hi Gain Dual Reverb, is nothing like anything Marshall did before...and it sounds nothing like a ‘real’ Marshall due to the extensive use of solid state components in the signal path....there are several handfuls of TL072 IC’s processing signal in that amp.

16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    The funny thing is that one of mine was a "High Gain Dual Reverb" head, a two-channel amp, and it had about half the preamp gain as my single-channel JCM800 50W combo. It's almost as though by adding that second channel, they sacrificed some preamp gain... and still called the amp "High Gain" which didn't make any sense.

17. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    do you have a jcm 900 ? i thoroughly disagree that they don't sound like a real Marshall, the slx has a sensitivity knob and when its at 0 its all tube. My 900 sounds very close, its just a fizzier gain style in a way,in fact i have yet to play an el34 marshall that didnt sound like a mid punch they are known for, get the el34's cooking ..people forget in a Marshall everything comes up naturally and is manageable andusable with volume....ps isnt putting a pedal in front of a jcm what a 900 is ?

18. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Bftfender, what JCM 900 do you have? Again....the model differences are important. I have known the Hi Gain Dual Reverb since their introduction back in the early ‘90’s. The SLX is a different animal and does not process signal in the solid state domain, iirc.
    EL34’s do not drastically change what happens in a circuit. The circuit is the main factor in determining what sonics are produced. And...no, using a solid state boost or overdrive prior to the amp’s input does not constitute changing another Marshall isn’t a high Gain Dual Reverb JCM 900.
    3chord, fwiw, like many/most other switching Gain amps, that Hi Gain Dual Reverb is a single channel amp with gain stages added for that switched mode. That is, there is a single I put gain stage...which is solid state....for all modes of operation.

19. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    I have the dual reverb high gain, and I am glad you responded to me. What I could be looking to do is tweek this amp more.to really take the time to adjust the gain I think it really became the answer to everyone modding 800's that every one started to do. I think I will mess with it today. I treat it as a single with progressive gain. I needed a project today, wife is coming out if 5th neck surgery, thanks for alerting me to work my gain in a way a 900 needs to be approached

20. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I’ve owned three JMP combos, two 2204 JMP heads, one 2203 JMP head, and a 4104 JCM800.

All great amps.

As I recall, the 50 watt JCM800 4104 Combo was the loudest of the bunch.

I couldn’t find a photo of my JCM800 on my iPad, but I did find a photo of a mint JMP 2100 that I sold early this year.

8B979845-0E84-4E80-8498-5762600A38A9.jpeg

jondanger and bftfender like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.