Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wondering if i need a Marshall JCM 800

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bftfender, Jul 23, 2018.

1. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    JMP 50 MV, Artist 3203, class 5 (el34 tube), JCM 900. DSL40cr made into head. In studio for back to back CD's and it started on plexi and is ending on the DSL(made it into a head and this thing is freaking unreal, basically can replace all the ones i listed before..it is that good) would i be missing my right of passage by not getting a JCM 800? ,my other option is going JVM410... dumped most gear and down to these..for those of you in the know...what ya think ? i will prob gig the DSL40 its spot on for everything needed and quietest amp i ever heard and all channels are very usable. prob will get the jvm down the road for sure, just non stop in studio till end of year..and the mystique has me intrigued..heard tons over the years but never got to gig one

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018

2. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    An early 80’s vertical input JCM800 2204 or 2203 (or a 4104 combo) is what you need.
    Don’t settle for anything less. A loud amp. Band volumes with the master set at 3.

Really hard to get a bad sound out of a healthy 2204 or 2203.

hoaryoldfox, 69ChevyP/U and bftfender like this.

3. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I have never heard a quiet JCM. Hums fairly well.

4. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Holic

Aug 12, 2016
    Pittsburgh
    My general rule of thumb is that, if you have to ask if you need something, it is generally required.

For example, if you ever wonder whether you are dreaming, the answer is always yes. Never in real life do you question seriously whether you are dreaming or not.

So yes, you do need this amp.

5. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Aug 17, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    The JCM 800 to me is the quintessential rock amp. Sure I love the plexi's and metal panels but man, I just did a bunch of sessions with my '81 2204 and I swear it just works on everything. Every guitar keeps their own character and the amp shines on everything.

They can be had for $1200 around here all day long and well worth it. In my opinion it was the last great amp Marshall made. The new stuff has gotten pretty cool too but the 800 rules.

6. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Bend, OR
    Who doesn’t need a JCM 800?;)

zephyrR1, 69ChevyP/U, paratus and 3 others like this.

7. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 6, 2014
    UK
    Yep. Killer amp.

I using a ‘79 JMP 50w 2x12” as my main gigging amp now. I traded similar many years ago for mesa gear but had to have that perfect sound again.

It is not stock though. I’ve slightly altered the bright cap value and added a resonance cap on the NFB to warm it up a bit at medium gain.

For studio use, if you are exploiting the full gain range, it can be a bit bright, esp. with SCs.

If you get an old one, it’s easily modded though.

8. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    There are 15 models, iirc, in the JCM series....with considerable differences among them. Which one one might need is the question.
    2203/2204??? I prefer the JMP models of these. Md. 1959 and 1987....again...I prefer the earlier ones. There are a few models in the JCM Series that did not exist in the earlier series....maybe one of those is what you want???

9. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    Redundant! You already have a JCM 800 just not by name, it's called a JMP 50 MV. Unless you are looking for one of the later versions with higher gain. As Wally says above, there are many versions of the JCM 800, but "IMO" you have the original already!

There is a reason it is a beloved version. It is essentially the same amp as the JMP MV the op already owns....

Wally and gridlock like this.

10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

11. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    +1

You already got the killer JMP - the early JCM800 has a similar circuit. There's more good ones than bad ones in these but JMP MV is widely acknowledged as one of the best.

That's your early ACDC amp. Touch resoonsive, guts and balls. Right speakers, fresh tubes.

12. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    YES! You DO need a JCM-800.

And take this from me, stay well clear of the JVM series.

Wally likes this.

13. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta

I got the combo and agree, when I played covers and or hard rock, nothing else ever came close.

Eventually I needed something more versatile, to be able to handle an acoustic as well as guitar and lap steel, so I went with a Deluxe and pedals, then went on the slog to find a pedal that would sort of emulate the sound of the 800 for hard rock guitar.

I only got close and sort of in the ballpark, but I'm happy with it.

The Marshall gets used for recording now and thats about it, but, I'm having a tough time thinking of parting with it. It was so very good, for so many gigs.....

14. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Great amp one of the all time greats IMHO.

There is one on backline at a local bluezz jam venue I attend, home studio. It's run thru a Avatar 2x12 with a pair of Vintage 30's.

The downside is there is no way to plug straight in and tame it. At least I couldn't. It is loud, no it's way beyond loud, it's crazy loud. And I am a big fan of loud.

Lately I've been plugging my HeadRush into it and run Marshall amp rigs thru it I've created. Amazing. Had success getting great tones out of it with a Blues Driver in front too. The owner normally sets it up with a high end attenuator....mandatory if your going to plug straight in. Again, sounds incredible.

Straight in, you will need a large venue to get it to break up. 3 is loud, Super Reverb loud....you can really hurt the audience and bandmates loud.

It is a full on stadium amp one of the best ever.

15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I had two JCM900's and two JCM800's. Let me tell you this: It largely depends on which model of JCM800 you're interested in. I had one JCM900 that sounded like one of my JCM800's, but the other JCM900 I had sounded like the other JCM800 I had - but the two JCM800's did not sound like each other, and the two JCM900's did not sound like each other.

I know I just confused everyone who read this, but....

Zeonoid and stnmtthw like this.

16. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    80's Hiwatt Lead heads. JCM800 killers, IMO.

17. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    that is why i posted, thank you, i was wondering if i have the "softer" side of an 800 tho,i have that JMP and it even has the the trainwreck 3 master added so the gain goes up and i do have every pedal typically used, but i just cant get it to be as nasty as my DSL which is ok, but it is by far the best amp i ever played..you can not hide behind it,,it will expose you..if i was in a hard rock to blues or country band i would gig this and not even ask questions, i somehow am going through a slightly heavier phase at the moment and i have these amps all stacked on my cab and each song for the studio session i use all em to find the best tone and then grab one for recording. , the last 4 songs have been the DSL. I think i am just leaning a lil modern and that is all new territory for me.

18. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    I miss my 2204. Sold it to a friend, and I would buy it back for twice what I sold it for. Had a real “t-rex humping a rainbow” vibe to it.

IMG_0694.JPG

Oh, also changed it to a JBM 800 to match my initials.

radiocaster and bftfender like this.

19. bftfender

bftfender Tele-Afflicted

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    Cool man..

20. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Missed the fact that he had a JMP MV. Yes, very similar to an early 2204 & 2203 but in a better looking head cab.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    bftfender likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.