Women..or Signifcant Other Who Doesn’t Understand Your Love For Guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Andy Summers, Mar 14, 2019.

1. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

This is what Miz Diane saw the first time she visited my house...some 33yrs ago.
    Marc 1987.jpg

She knew what she was getting into from day 1. She has given me instruments for birthdays and anniversaries, etc. (I picked them out, of course). She doesn't claim to understand why as she really has no interest in music at all. She has never seriously complained about anything related to my hobbies (she does not hesitate to roll her eyes and make fun of me).

We work well and play well together...although I suspect she'll have one helluva banjo bonfire when I'm dead. :D

Jim622, Toto'sDad, SolidSteak and 3 others like this.
  2. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

Haha!! Now that’s a happy looking dude! What woman wouldn’t want to be part of that ;)

3. Andy Summers

Very true, my friend!! You know what they say about a forced fart...same thing goes for life in general.

G.Rotten likes this.
  4. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

creates abstract art?

Shuster and Andy Summers like this.
  5. Andy Summers

Haha! That’s one way of putting it

6. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't say she understands why I like playing guitar and making music, but she definitely encourages it! :D

She's into her own things that I don't understand at all, but I see the joy it brings her so I definitely want her to keep doing it.

I once had a guy tell me "I just don't understand why someone would need more than one guitar." This person had 3 different press brakes in their machine shop, and 2 drill presses. My usual answer is "It's cheaper than owning a boat!"

Andy Summers likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

That's the cool thing about living in California, EVERBODY has secrets!

8. Andy Summers

This is exactly how it should be...

Toto'sDad and SolidSteak like this.
  9. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

I get it 100%.

In my younger days it was okay that I played in a band... maybe even cool. I didn't marry until age 33, and although I didn't play a lot when the kids were born my wife never complained about my band rehearsals in the basement and came out to see me play as often as possible and brought many friends and coworkers too. She even brought the kids out whenever it was a family oriented gig. She passed away in 2003 and I think I had 5 guitars at that time. I sort of doubt that she would've been keen on me having 24, and that may have been a good thing. Maybe all these guitars are just filling the void that losing her created.

On the dating side, well... I've been mostly a failure at it for the last 16 years, but in what little I have accomplished I have found that many women see my interest in music, and especially playing gigs on weekends, as a huge negative. At one time I may have made concessions, but since my relationship days are now over forever it's a moot point and I can buy or build as many as I want.

Shuster and Andy Summers like this.
  10. Andy Summers

Oh man...so sorry you lost your wife, Gene. That’s terrible.

As for the dating...yeah..it just tough. I’ve been single for almost 10 years now, so aim kind of set in my ways I guess!! I do miss having a nighttime, couch and TV watching cuddle buddy though. And I agree...seems lots of women stay away from guys in bands...itsbthats tereotype thing again. I was always sure to tell them it’s about the music and playing it with friends..but most don’t believe it. Oh well...I have my kids, my dog, and my guitars. I’d welcome a good woman along for the ride, but I’m done hoping for it.

Gene O. and Shuster like this.
  11. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Banjo Bonfire = my new band name.

Controller, Jim622, Shuster and 2 others like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

She will probably be quite surprised to find that an instrument of the devil is impervious to fire! :D:D:D

13. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

This is why the Devil plays a gold fiddle. Melting point = 1,948°F (1,064°C).

And...most of my good banjos have flame maple necks...they already look like they're on fire. :D

14. G.Rotten

G.Rotten TDPRI Member

Part of non guitar playing people's misconceptions on playing guitar is the word "playing" which implies it's like some kind of silly pastime for immature people.

I don't follow sports at all, but I know people who play sports for fun are still accomplishing other things that aren't likely leading to a professional career. They're keeping fit, socializing with like minded people & blowing off steam from the day or week.

6 string therapy isn't a common enough phrase I guess. I think it's hard for others to understand that there really are other reasons to be a musician other than being rich/famous & getting girls. I mean it doesn't keep my body fit, but without it I think my mind would've been mush a while ago. I think a lot of people consider anyone without a record deal to just be a failed musician who isn't letting go of the dream.

In my case that was never a dream. I love playing live but am strictly covers. I'm not wired for or never developed song writing skills. Not to say songs haven't come to me over the years, but that's not been my passion. And I'll play free for a worthy cause every chance I'm given. I have not and will never profit from playing music. I just freaking love it. But I think even playing guitar is only secondary to just being drawn to everything guitar. Everyone has something whether it's sports, gardening, cars, stamps or whatever.

Passion in general keeps you going.

15. Toto'sDad

I understand completely about doing covers, I have never, not one time written a song, had an idea about a song, or even thought about writing a song. I went to, but was just behind the kid in school who wrote Alley Oop, Elvira, and a host of others, you would have thought I would have at least had the urge to copy cat something!

G.Rotten, Andy Summers and Shuster like this.
  16. Shuster

Shuster Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Andy Summers likes this.
  17. G.Rotten

G.Rotten TDPRI Member

There's just so many great songs & I love butchering all of them. I love trying something out & never needing to do it again if I don't want to. New songs every show? Why not?. Heard a new song on the radio? Give it a go next time you're with the guys. I remember when I was young hanging out with my buddy's band. There's a special kind of commitment to practicing the same 11 songs in order hoping you get to do it for people. Mad respect, but not for me. I've always known that about music for me. I've never sat down & tried to make music to be creative. But I noodle constantly & sometimes it turns into something worth working out. It's just for me & few people are exposed to it.

My idea of hell is writing a song everyone loves & having to play it for 30 years because people are sad/mad if I don't.

Again I'm glad there are other kinds of people because there are songs I love & get sad if they're not played.

Toto'sDad and Andy Summers like this.
  18. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

My lady doesn't get it, but she accepts it. I found out what some of her purses cost. I understand it, but have a hard time accepting it. You see, she's a better person than me.

t guitar floyd and Andy Summers like this.
  19. Andy Summers

HAHAHAHA!!! Good post Shuster...as always.

20. Tony Forman

Tony Forman Tele-Meister

All my ex-girlfriends start off loving the guitar and loving me playing the guitar. By the time we're through they hate everything to do with the guitar. Which probably explains why they're ex's. I always loved that quote in the biopic about the late great Hank Garland called, "Crazy." There's a scene in the film where Hank is lying on a bed playing his guitar. The woman that he's with says, "You love that thing more than me!" To which Hank replies while continuing to play, "I've just known her longer!"

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.