Women..or Signifcant Other Who Doesn’t Understand Your Love For Guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Andy Summers, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

Your last paragraph sums up my married life perfectly..and was ultimately the cause of our divorce.

Good luck to you brother...I hope you get peace of mind and happiness one way or another..Life is too short, ya know?

2. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I had a girlfriend in college that would get upset if I was ogling a nice car or a guitar; I asked her if it would be better if I were ogling another woman and she replied "At least I would know what I'm up against!" Uh, grow the [expletive] up. Good thing that did not last.

My wife supports my guitar habit, although it does not even come close to putting a strain on our budget. She loves live music. Funny thing though; she does not want to hear me play. She does not recognize songs I play unless I sing. I can sing, but if you don't recognize the "music" behind it, well, I have no interest in performing. It takes time and effort to learn to play the music, and adding the singing on top is easy (for me). It kind of hurts my feelings.

Andy Summers likes this.
  3. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  4. Andy Summers

Haha!! I know what you mean. I remember when I was practicing songs for an upcoming audition I was telling my wife I wasn’t sure how I was going to do..these song weren’t really my “style”, but she responded that she recognized them and thought they sounded good. That was a nice feeling I got from her at that moment...so I could understand how the opposite could hurt the feelings a bit. We don’t need compliments and such, but it is work and it’s nice to hear that our work is paying off.

5. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Some women get it ... And some don't... choose carefully ...

tery and Andy Summers like this.
  6. G.Rotten

G.Rotten TDPRI Member

This could have been written by me with the exception that my ex FIL was the king of "Do it yourself". I learned a lot from him & miss that part of my old life. I don't miss being made to feel like a bad person because I have things in my life I really get a lot of enjoyment from on many levels. I don't miss sneaking glances at a handful of guitars hanging on the wall & playing them 20 seconds at a time when it doesn't inerupt Grey's Anatomy or equivalent B.S. tv show.

I've gone through over 200 guitars, & honestly don't know how many I have now (25-ish I think). Currently am on a Strat binge after hating them for around 15 years. Sometimes in my deals I lose money, but very rarely & the rest of the dealings more than cover those losses. I bought my current house after the divorce on my own, so it's too small for a real workshop. I have to haul my tools into the driveway on sunny days when I don't have the kids & have nothing more pressing to take care of. So I mostly have started builds in various stages of possibly never being finished. I don't care. Even the thought of someday finishing is enough to give me a boost.

D_W_PGH and Andy Summers like this.
  7. Jim622

G.Rotten and Andy Summers like this.
  8. Andy Summers

Jim...I’m not seeing your response on your last two replies...just an FYI :)

9. G.Rotten

G.Rotten TDPRI Member

I know a few musicians that fuel that rep, but I also know a lot of "players" who's wife's couldn't keep it in their pants (or rather couldn't keep it out of their pants) my ex wife & at least one gf included. Dated a few on liners from both ends of the spectrum before I struck gold (I think anyways). But that came after an extended dating break & just doing my thing for a bit.

As a mostly rhythm guitar player, I have never been hit on while playing. Not once. Singer, lead, drummer, rhythm & bass. I think that's the official pecking order. Lol. But I also never really advertised while playing either. That's not why I'm there. It's all about the music man!

Also, I'm fairly shy off stage and aloof. It wasn't until I was much older that I realized I actually had been hit on when younger. Shy & aloof it terrible combo for a single dude wanting to be unsingle. I'm almost finished building my time machine. I expect it should be finished last week.

t guitar floyd and Andy Summers like this.
  10. G.Rotten

G.Rotten TDPRI Member

My GF has told me I don't need to point out the newest ones she can't keep track. Dangerous thing to tell me. Lol. Occasionally I'll get one in a really unique color & she'll comment on it. She knows the different between Gibson & Fender. That's good enough. Lol.

Andy Summers likes this.
  11. Andy Summers

I’m shy and aloof too G.Rotten, so I get ya there. I think most people that meet me..especially women, as I’m shyest around them if I find them attractive, think I’m a jerk because My shyness makes me quiet..or I say something stupid. Yup, I’m 47 years old and this still happens...haha

G.Rotten likes this.
  12. Jim622

It ended up in the quote box - beyond my technical capabilities

Andy Summers likes this.
  13. G.Rotten

G.Rotten TDPRI Member

Yup. And in my case my face can't hide my emotions, so now I'm a 42 year old oddly quiet dude with a stupid grin trying not to stare. Thank whoever needs thanked I met my GF almost 5 years ago & she's just as goofy (in a great way). We giggle at each other on a fairly regular basis & this time in my life totally makes up for some of the other years.

14. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Anyone (girlfriend, boyfriend, wife, husband) who objects to someone having a hobby that involves playing a musical instrument is well, just not worth it.

15. Andy Summers

Haha!! Ok! I’ll go back and check it out

16. Andy Summers

Agreed completely.

17. Andy Summers

Awesome!!! Glad to hear..hope to find one like that myself one day..just done trying to force it:)

G.Rotten likes this.
  18. Andy Summers

Haha!! Can’t turn down Jim Kirk @Jim622

19. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I only date groupies :)

20. G.Rotten

G.Rotten TDPRI Member

Nothing forced is real anyway. What will be will be or won't be until it isn't or whatever.

Andy Summers likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.