Women..or Signifcant Other Who Doesn’t Understand Your Love For Guitar

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Andy Summers, Mar 14, 2019 at 10:38 PM.

1. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

That’s funny! It reminds me of a time at a music store where you could listen to CDs before you bought them. I had listened to a Keb Mo CD, and another guy come over and started listing to it. He mentioned that he liked it, and I said I did to, and that I loved delta blues.

He gave me a really weird look, and said “It’s not blues, it’s country...” and walked off. We were both sort of right, it was “country” or “delta” blues.

Labels can be useful, but they often aren’t so much.

thunderbyrd and Andy Summers like this.
  2. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

My wife doesn't understand my love for guitars and she absolutely hates country music. She claims not to understand the need for four electric guitars but she did notice the different tone I've had flat picking my Gretsch learning a new song. We've been together nearly 45 years. I never thought we'd make it. No one thought we'd make it, but we did. A lot of that has to do with not making too big a deal about the obsessive compulsive disorders of the other. And she did buy me a guitar one time. She understands that I can't just walk by a guitar shop when we're on vacation. Honestly, I don't understand the need for 50 rose bushes but I buy them and plant them for her. In 45 years you do a lot of things you never thought you'd do.

3. Andy Summers

Andy Summers Friend of Leo's

45 years is a long time. You guys are obviously doing something right! Good for you both :)

Lake Placid Blue and Jim622 like this.
  4. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

[QUOTE="JL_LI, post: 8973170, member: 13630 - In 45 years you do a lot of things you never thought you'd do.[/QUOTE]

I hear that I'm on 27 years, Don't tell anybody - She took me to see Yanni. It really wasn't terrible.

5. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

my wife came to see me play in a club after knowing me in a totally different context. I think she'd say she already liked me... when she saw me perform... she loves when I play around the house, she loves singing with me, she loves when my son or daughter and I play.... she is starting to play a little... but, if I'm rippin away in the garage... well, lets just say, she like it. And we do not like the same kinds of music, but... she likes it a lot.

6. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

My daughters moved a mile away from us. We still see each other all the time. I love getting that phone call “dad, something broke. Can you fix it?” Let’s me know they still need me. Or they’re just too cheap to hire a professional. I like leaving their front doors open with the AC on while I get something from the car. Or leaving their fridges open while I take my time looking for something to snack on. Once in a while I’ll grab the remote and change the channel while they’re watching something. They laugh because they know I’m just doing it to bug them.
    As far as the empty nest goes, I like it because I can run around the house in my undies if I want to. Too bad I don’t look like I did before growing a “dad” body.

7. Howdog

Howdog TDPRI Member

I am a total hack and play my electrics while we watch TV. I apologize to my wife for playing the same licks over and over and she assures me she loves to hear me play. She bought me a '62 strat reissue when we were dating. I am truly blessed!

8. G.Rotten

G.Rotten TDPRI Member

It doesn't really matter what your passion is. If you have something that interests you that isn't them it will eventually be a source of tension (with wrong person). When I was married I tried real hard to keep a lid on my interests (quit the band, stopped buying, trading, modding, collecting, & building guitars). Turned me into a really really depressed A$$hole.

Been with my current GF (feels odd using that phrase at this age) for over 4 years now. Never once pretended I might ease up on my G.A.S. Me & guitars are a package deal as are parts of guitars & woodworking tools in multiple places in the house. And there's no question I'm going to be in at least 1 band. I don't care if it's a gigging band or not as long as I spend a few hours a week with like minded people.

So far so good.

I mean...... Guitars aren't drugs, booze, gambling, golf, or hookers. When **** hits the fan I can sell something & pick up something else later when things are good. Try doing the same thing with shoes or hundreds of dollar store trinkets.

I have to admit, I've always wondered what it would be like to be with a musically inclined lady, but it's probably better I have a reason not to go all out crazy into music.

9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

35 years married to a fantastic musician. We live to record in our humble little studio. She gets it.

10. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

The first time I bought a valve amp (100W Laney head, I don't remember the model), I went to pick it up from the private seller's house. He took me out the garage and said 'yeah, my wife doesn't like me keeping that stuff in the house'. I made a promise to myself that that would never be me.

So I married the singer in my band :). 10 years as of last year. (She also plays guitar, bass and piano).

11. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

My wife is pretty musically indifferent - not that she doesn't care, but it's far less important to her than it is to me. She likes me to be happy and sees how much joy I get out of playing music and that's been enough for her to be very supportive. She doesn't understand the point of multiple guitars (not to mention multiple amps?) but she's been a sweetheart about it in general, which is a constant reminder to me that I should be supporting her gardening obsession in the same way....I'm like, why pay for yellow flowers when the dandelions come up every year?

12. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Oh, and to the OP - yes some potential mates will surely be turned off by your music playing. I've been on that exact date a couple of times. They find it silly that grown ups will have a hobby besides working overtime and shopping online. Those will be people to steer clear of.

13. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Meister

First time I saw my wife, she was on stage singing. Now we play together every other week.

She doesn't understand why I keep building guitars, but she loves music and loves me so we're set :)

14. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Couldn't have said it better. My ex, after knowing her for years previous to getting involved, slowly resented everything that I thought she appreciated in me. Course she was cheating, whereas I don't have that in me. I was good to her & her beautiful children. All I got was cut down to the point of being ill. I miss the kids but more so, I missed the happy person I was.

Live & learn.

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

After 53 years of my wife listening to my guitar, I can't in decency subject her to it much any more. If she asks me to play I will and she does once in a while but that's about it. For me to come up with anything new, that she hasn't heard before, I'd have to climb the light pole across the street and sing, and play great balls of fire in Chinese. ( I can't be entirely sure after all this time that I haven't done that at least once )

16. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

You’re a man of many secrets ese!

Toto'sDad and Andy Summers like this.
  17. Jim622

Steve 78 likes this.
  18. Jim622

MY wife had a very neat apartment when we met, everything had its place. After we started living together I'd come home from work and my guitar would be in the case, in the closet. Everyday I'd leave it back out on the stand. After about 3 days it stopped. Now there's 3 in the living room. Mine (which is in a rotation), hers, and my grandsons mini strat. Granted theirs are growing dust most of the time. The basement they are on the walls. One of the few house arguments I won.

19. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

The other day, my sister, commenting on a friend, asked why anyone would travel 50 miles to a music shop and not buy anything. :D

Yeah, not everyone gets it...

20. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

Maybe it was not the playing of guitar part so much, some seem to think that guys that play in bands have more chance of being unfaithful because of the attention part. Did you ask her what she likes doing first i prefer to do that myself, also some that have very little interest in anything can be a little jealous of folk that can get deeply into a hobby or sport for some reason.

Also their are some folk you will never understand and maybe best left alone anyhow.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.