Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

With space for only 1 modulation pedal - which would you choose?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by Ian T, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2013
    Tampa Bay
    I've been re-working my nano board and I'm looking for something new for the one spot that I have available a modulation pedal.

Don't really care what kind of modulation; be it phase/chorus/flanging/univibe/etc... just curious if you guys had to pick just one awesome modulation effect that was your absolute favorite - which would it be?

2. ponce

ponce Tele-Holic

Dec 21, 2011
    Croatia
    1. Tremolo
    2. Chorus

3. OttoCorrect

OttoCorrect TDPRI Member

Feb 24, 2018
    USA
    Boss BF-2, a classic flanger. I can get good flange, obviously, but also good faux-chorus/phase/Leslie sounds all with a little knob twiddling.

Any good 4 knob flanger can cover a LOT of ground if you’re willing to dig in a little and learn how they work.

cyclopean likes this.
  4. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

An MXR Phase 90 or its ilk is also quite versatile-- can stand in for chorus, tremolo, flange, IMO. But OttoCorrect is quite correct-- a flanger
    with the right knob adjustments is arguably even better in this regard.

Or you could do like me and cheat with an Eventide H9 Max. Every modulation under the sun, all in one pedal, easily managed with
    a MacOS, PC, or iOS H9 control interface. But some gigs when I want to keep it simple I just leave the Eventide at home and stick a Phase 90
    in its spot.

5. igor5

igor5 Tele-Meister

Nov 28, 2016
    Chicago
    Valeton Coral Mod mini pedal

6. PigBoy

PigBoy Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Tremolo.
    You can close the thread now.

PastorJay likes this.
  7. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    Zoom MS-70CDR, gives you a wide choice of modulation effects, including strymon types with the latest upgrade.

8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I recently had the same dilemma and went with a phase 90.
    Then realised I could stick a strymon flint on top of the battery pack as well. 20180925_192448.jpg

24 track likes this.
  9. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    There are too many that can do several..

I've got an EHX Memory Boy.. I'd probably keep that of the stuff I've tried.. it can do delay obviously, but it can be setup to be a usable chorus or vibrato too.

If delay isn't allowed than I'd pick Tremolo for sure. I just think if I could pick something like the Memory Boy that realistically does 2-3 things than I might take that over the Tremolo.

10. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    a zoom multi stomp and fill it with what you need based on the gig ? ;)

11. Naigewron

Naigewron TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Norway
    Tremolo, absolutely no question about it. It's actually the only modulation on my board right now, although I'm also looking for a Phase 95 to put on there.

PastorJay likes this.
  12. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 22, 2009
    New York
    An analog phaser with switchable staging will also do what the Phase 90 does and much more. 12 stage phasing is another animal. That's why I'm really fond of my Moog MF103, but it's a really big pedal by many people's standards.

13. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
  14. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2017
    italy
  15. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Well, I know firsthand @blowtorch makes good live use of trem.

But for me Chorus. Interestingly, I rarely use it as “Chorus” per se. I’m more apt to use it for rotating speaker/vibrato sounds. Faux Leslie, faux Hammond, that sort of thing.

To me, the “vibrato” sound I get out of a good Chorus are more useable in a mix (less out of tune/seasick than a vibrato pedal).

blowtorch and CigBurn like this.
  16. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 5, 2009
    Georgetown, TX
    But...tremolo is dynamic (varying volume), not modulation. So, do I get two pedals, now?

17. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    you win

I’d say Strymon Deco

18. Stratohacker

Stratohacker Tele-Holic

Apr 18, 2013
    California
    One spot for a modulation pedal - I'd pick the Strymon Mobius which is a modulation pedal with options for several modulation effects.

If I had to pick a smaller foot print and only one effect - it'd be a Drybell Vibe Machine

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018 at 5:55 PM
  19. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    “Choosing” various multi’s that do not entail an actual choice? On a gear oriented forum? Shocking.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.