Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wiring question, Gibson LP and Goldfoils

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Peckhammer, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Peckhammer

Peckhammer Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    Has anyone put gold foils in a Les Paul or LP Special? If so, did you just swap the pickups and keep the wiring the same?

I am so used to fender wiring schemes that when I open a Gibson and see the capacitors running from output lugs on the volume pot to the input on the Tone pot, it makes me wonder why. What is the effect of connecting those two pots with a capacitor rather than a wire and then bleeding high frequencies off through a capacitor on the Tone pots output lug to ground?

2. Peckhammer

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    Well, no one volunteered an answer, so I just forged ahead with the Lollar Goldfoil install and kept the caps and wiring as they were. Man, this guitar sounds fantastic. I'll provide some details in case anyone wants to do this install in the future.

The real work was getting the pickups in a guitar where there was nothing below one of the screws in each pickup pocket because of the wire route. I made plates out of aircraft grade aluminum and tapped holes so I could use humbucker screws and springs instead of the typical P90 screws and foam pads. I also made a hole to run the pickup wire through, as well as holes for mounting to the guitar.

IMG_5408.JPG

Then I screwed the plate to the bottom of the pickup cavity, with some adhesive foam along the edge of one side of the plate to create an angle that matched the string angle as they pass over the pickups.

IMG_5418.JPG

And here is the finished install, which looks pretty sharp:

IMG_4020.JPG

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    uriah1, Zepfan and LowThudd like this.

3. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2015
    the bozone
    Nice work. Gold foils are certainly a great sound.

Peckhammer likes this.

4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    There is zero difference. From the volume lug, to ground, all that matters is that you have a cap, a tone pot, and maybe some wire. In any series order. So, volume terminal --> tone pot --> cap --> ground equates exactly to volume terminal --> cap --> tone pot --> ground.

Think of it like this: you have a hose. A screen in the hose only allows the finest particles through. A valve on the hose only allows a certain amount of flow. Assume that the particle sizes are evenly distributed. It doesn't matter which comes first, screen or valve. You still end up with the same amount of fine particles out the other end. That's your highs bleeding off to ground, in case I lost you with all that.

EDIT: screen = capacitor; valve = pot

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Peckhammer likes this.

5. Peckhammer

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    Thanks, that is a great explanation.

6. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Really nice work, guitar looks great too. What about the difference in sound?

I could see a very small but completely unserved market for those plates...nice work.

7. Peckhammer

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle
    Thanks. I was hesitant to install those pickups because this guitar sounded great with its P90s. The guitar still sounds like a Gibson with the new pickups, but with much more clarity and note separation. The goldfoils sound *great* clean, or by boosting volume to OD the amp. They were not quite as good sounding when running though my tube screamer or Jetter OD pedals. IF you are playing AC/DC cover tunes, the P90s would be a better choice. OTOH, the goldfoils seem to broaden the guitars range in many other areas.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.