Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wiring Problem: No signal from the Neck

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by GCBguitars, Sep 17, 2017.

1. GCBguitars

GCBguitars TDPRI Member

Jul 5, 2017
    California
    I have built a 5 way telecaster using this wiring diagram.

The problem is, that while I appear to have done everything successfully thus far, I am getting no signal from the neck pickup. Moreover, when I swapped for a different neck pickup by detaching the wires, attaching the wires from the new neck pickup (and then holding it close to the strings) also nothing.

So I think it is the wiring, not the pickup.

The bridge pickup works fine, and both the volume and tone pots are working.

I have detached and reattached and replaced jumpers, etc, but it doesn't seem to be helping.

Any ideas on why this would happen?

By the way, you get hum when the neck pickup is engaged, and for instance if you touch the ground wire from the jack it increases, but no signal from the strings.

Attached Files:

2. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    Probably not related but do you have ground from your neck cover? I have to look at the switch to remember the positions. Is that a 920D diagram?

3. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    So the hum you get is definitely from not having a separate ground from your cover. In that first position it's actually out if phase but you can't tell because the other pickup is not engaged.

I'd dare to say that's playing some sort of larger role in your issue as well. But I'm not certain.

4. GCBguitars

GCBguitars TDPRI Member

Jul 5, 2017
    California
    Originally I set it up with a separate ground, but that wasn't working either so I switched it back thinking that might be the problem. Didn't change anything, and this diagram doesn't have a separate ground...

5. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    You got any pics? Did you separate the cover from the negative signal? Not trying to just suggest simple stuff. I don't know what you do or don't know.

Pics always help though.

6. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    "you get hum when the neck pickup is engaged, and for instance if you touch the ground wire from the jack it increases, but no signal from the strings"

If correctly wired the hum should go down when you touch any grounded component, if wrong the amp acts like stepping on the end of the guitar cable with your bare foot.

Try flipping the hot/ground wires from the pickup. Tele pickups have the included case ground that on 4-way wiring schemes need to be cut and given a separate wire. That could be what you are dealing with too. It's a small jumper from the case 'cinch' to the ground wire. Depending on what vendor of pickup, the wire colors are all different (Fender tends to be opposite of the others which causes confusion on wiring diagrams).

Huddy likes this.

7. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA

I think we're talking about the same thing.

This video depicts it best... Not to mention includes some VA Heroes.

8. GCBguitars

GCBguitars TDPRI Member

Jul 5, 2017
    California
    Interesting.

Flipping the neck ground and hot leads did not solve the problem. However, I get a signal from the neck if, instead of connecting the ground to the switch, I connect it to ground.

Somehow, it also seems that I am bypassing the volume pot... that can't be good. I'm getting signal even if it is dialed all the way back.

9. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    Sounds like your start and finish of the coil are making contact somewhere. I'd check your diagram against your work.

Doesn't take but a few seconds to flip your control plate over and snap a pic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.