Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wiring problem? Connection bad?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by rglenna, Apr 11, 2017.

1. rglenna

rglenna TDPRI Member

May 24, 2011
    La Crosse
    I have a nashville tele with three single coils in it and the 5 way switch. I also added a push pull pot in the tone knob. I installed a noiseless strat pickup in the center and all of the pickups sound great accept when i active the bridge and center pups together. Then it loses its presence and sounds very distant and not like a song the guitar should make. The center pickup install was a breeze because the one that came out and went in were just two wires. Wondering if the 5 way switch needs replacing? Thanks for your input.

2. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Sounds like the two pickups may be out of phase with each other. Is the middle wired to the 5-way or to the p/p pot?

3. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Soulman is right on track. (hey Paul, had 9.5" of snow last night YIPPEEEE)

Reversing leads of the middle will cure that.

I assume the mid neck is OK ?

If that mid and neck is your fav position, then you may want to leave it as is or the problem will be in those two.

What does the p/p do, you didn't say.............neck on perhaps.

soulman969 likes this.

4. rglenna

rglenna TDPRI Member

May 24, 2011
    La Crosse
    every individual pup and combination works great together except the middle/bridge combo. When I installed the middle pup one line went to the switch and the other went to the bottom of the pot. not the push/pull

5. rglenna

rglenna TDPRI Member

May 24, 2011
    La Crosse
    the bridge pup is a fender scn and the middle is a fender vintage noiseless strat pup

6. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    As sjtalon suggested try reversing the leads.

7. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    9.5" inches of partly cloudy you say? LOL Damn, winter doesn't want to let go up there does it?

8. rglenna

rglenna TDPRI Member

May 24, 2011
    La Crosse
    I changed the leads around and the weakness switched to the middle/neck position. It is much preferred this way.

9. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    I tried pairing a Vintage Noiseless and an N3 in a project, and didn't find a good way to make them work together. I don't remember specifically what was going on, but it seems like the choice was the classic out of phase sound, and something better but still awful. I wonder if you're running into something similar.

10. soulman969

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO

Yep as expected just as Steve pointed out in his post. The issue is those three pickups as a set just not working well together due to their wiring. If Middle/Bridge is best for you then leave the Middle/Neck as the weak position or you may want to consider a different middle pickup that can be wired in phase with both the neck and the bridge.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.