Wiring mods to CS guitars?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by joshigh, Oct 4, 2017.

1. joshigh

joshigh Tele-Meister

Are you just in love with the way your wiring setup is out of the box or do you change things to fit you on your. Custom Shops?

I got a new CS Tele yesterday and I'm not loving the pots taper and miss my 4 way switch and reversed control plate.

I'm considering modding it to the same setup as another Tele I have with those mods. I figure it can always go back to stock if needed.

2. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Is the guitar a keeper or are you still in the getting to know you phase?

Personally, I wait at least a few months before I start modding any of my higher end guitars.

Most times I find that the stock stuff works well once it's set up to my liking.

Sometimes I find I'm not in love and move the guitar along.

It's rare that I decide to mod a higher end guitar but it's happened on more than one occasion... :twisted:

3. Ron Garson

Ron Garson Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I did change a Nocaster with the blend control wiring to modern wiring, but I wired up the modern circuit on an identical control plate, complete with jack socket, then I unhooked the pickup wires from the Nocaster's switch and pots, undid the jack socket, and removed the whole control plate from the guitar, re-attached the pickup wires to the new controls, and attached the new jack socket. Screwed the new plate on the guitar, and transferred the knobs and switch tip. I keep the original control plate in the case, and it can be switched back, if required, easily.

4. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Actually, that's a case where I'd build my own. Get exactly what I want, the way I want it. For me a CS guitar is its own thing. Love it the way it is or pass.

DanDII likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.