Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wiring Issue in Guitar - No Sound

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by billyhill123, Aug 14, 2017.

1. billyhill123

billyhill123 TDPRI Member

Jun 14, 2015
    London
    Hi folks,
    Recently completed an EVH style Strat project (I know this isn't a Tele, but I used a Tele wiring diagram for it, so thought it had a place in this forum). Wired everything up as per the schematic on the Seymour Duncan website, and get no sound from the output jack. I've checked it over countless times and I can't see anything wrong, also checked (I think) every joint with a multimeter, and there are no dry solder joints.

I have measured the resistance between the common ground and the live wire coming off the 3- way switch, and the reading off each pickup was normal, and I definitely wired the output jack the correct way round, so I'm fairly certain the issue is around the volume/tone pots).

Maybe some fresh pairs of eyes can spot a mistake?

I can provide additional multimeter readings anyone needs more details.

Here's the wiring diagram I used:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/wiring...ons,2-pickups,neck-s,bridge-h,1-volume,1-tone

I've attached photos of the wiring (found it hard to get clear pics of the switch, but fairly sure that isn't the problem). 20170814_223523.jpg 20170814_223632.jpg 20170814_223639.jpg 20170814_223646.jpg 20170814_223712.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Billy

2. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Three things leap to mind. The soldering on that is pretty bad, that well could be the problem. The second is the braid covered wires soldered tot he pot backs. It's really easy to melt the inner wire's insulation and create a short. It looks like cloth covered wire, so that's not likely. That bare wire that links the volume and tone pots, does it touch the shielding?

How about a picture of the output jack wiring?

Do you have a meter? Turn both controls full clockwise and measure the resistance from the ground tab to the signal tab on the output jack. Please report an actual resistance measurement, not 'nothing' or something similar.

3. billyhill123

Jun 14, 2015
    London
    Hi, thanks for the quick reply!

Re the first point, I'll try and tidy it up and see if that helps, but I'm pretty sure I checked every joint either side with the multimeter and they were all okay. I checked continuity between the bridge pickup live and ground (the braided wire), and I'm getting 8 k ohms, which is normal for this pickup (SD '59). Re the third point, no it doesn't.

I'm getting an infinite resistance reading off the output lugs with the pots turned to full (on every different resistance magnitude setting on the multimeter). If I turn the volume pot down to zero I get zero resistance, and then as I turn it up it increases up until around 500k where it then goes blank (at around position 9 on the vol knob) and indicates an infinite resistance. Turning the tone pot doesn't affect the output resistance reading.

I should say these are no-load CTS pots, so from 9-10 the resistance between the centre and the outer lug on the vol pot should be zero. Does this affect anything?

Picture of the output jack attached. The ground is wired to the back of the tone pot and the live is wired to the middle lug of the volume pot.

Thanks

Billy 20170814_232018.jpg 20170814_232024.jpg

4. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    I don't think you can use a no load pot for a volume, check the resistance between the outer lugs on the volume pot. I'm sure the first lug 1 is not connected.

Deaf Eddie and AAT65 like this.

5. billyhill123

Jun 14, 2015
    London
    Ahhh that might well be why - annoying, the website said it could be used for vol or tone hah. I'm getting 8.3 k between the two outer lugs.

6. billyhill123

Jun 14, 2015
    London
    After doing some research I'm positive that this is the issue, makes sense. Thanks for the help guys.
    '

7. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Oh, good catch.

Try putting a jumper between the lug that connects to the switch, and the middle lug. You won't have a volume control, but it will tell you if this is the right track to follow.

8. billyhill123

Jun 14, 2015
    London
    Yep, sure enough it suddenly works. There's a wiring that I've just found that can make a no-load work for volume so I'm going to give that a go.

Thanks!

9. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Guessing the wiring is like a tone pot but no cap, it will work but the taper might be a little messed up and it will probably sound muddy when you turn it down. At full volume, it will sound the same as a normal volume pot.

billyhill123 likes this.

10. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    Tone control not properly grounded I would guess. From here looks like the input jack or a pickup ground is soldered to the back of the tone control but then goes nowhere else.

Maybe the tone pot isn't grounded properly because it isn't in a steel control panel like a tele would be - so needs to be connected to the ground on the volume control also.

Also hard to see but looks like a couple of strands of wire might have gotten into the switch grounding it out - a human hair-sized strand will do it, had that problem on a Les Paul.

11. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    Glad you got the issue sorted - that's a great looking Frankenstrat you have!

12. billyhill123

Jun 14, 2015
    London
    Thanks for the replies guys, wired it up with the middle lug of the vol pot as ground and the other two lugs soldered together and connected to live. As you said though Asmith, the taper is very odd, so will replace with a normal pot when I get my hands on one.

LutherBurger likes this.

13. billyhill123

Jun 14, 2015
    London
    Thanks, it's the guitar I'm bringing to uni, wanted to have something a bit different :)

14. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    That was my thought also. It doesn't look like you have a complete ground circuit for the signal to get from the pickups to the jack. You need a jumper to connect the two pot shells, and most clean wiring would have had as much as possible in one spot on the back of the volume pot.

Also, as a rule the color codes on humbucking pickups are different for each manufacturer, so while you get great wiring diagrams from SD, you might wind up with something out of phase or not working at all with the humbucker.

15. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    We solved the issue, he has copper tape on the pickguard that will be connecting the pot shells but I do think it's good practice to have a wire soldered to the pots connecting them.

16. billyhill123

Jun 14, 2015
    London
    I think I might put a wire there anyway, as I'm still getting a little hum, maybe it'll make it better, thanks for the tip.

The humbucker is a Seymour Duncan 59 anyway so no issues there.

17. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    That kind of connection to the pot shells is important for shielding but you shouldn't rely on it for the actual signal ground. Two different purposes for ground.

18. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    The foil can do both as long as it doesn't go bad if you check the resistance between the two pot shells with a multimeter the resistance wouldn't even be registered but as I said in the same message you quoted,

My point was that it wasn't the issue causing the problem he was having but he should still look into connecting them with something more substantial.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.