Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wiring help

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Liad, Oct 3, 2017.

1. Liad

Liad NEW MEMBER!

Oct 3, 2017
    Israel
    Hi all :) I'm new to this forum and to telecasters in general. I'm working on my first telecaster and I need help wiring it. It'll be equipped with: neck single coil, bridge lace sensor dually humbucker, 1tone, 1volume (push/pull), 3way switch.
    (Assuming "normal" 3 way positions are 1-neck, 2-both, 3-bridge.
    I want it to be wired in this way:
    Volume Up:
    1. Neck+Humbucker inner coil
    2. Humbucker inner coil
    3. Humbucker outer coil
    Volume Down (Normal):
    1. Neck
    2. Neck+Humbucker
    3. Humbucker

I don't know much about wiring and I have no idea how to make it work.
    Is it even possible?
    Can anyone help me with it?

2. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Go down the page here until you find what you are looking for, or close to it.
    https://sites.google.com/site/phostenixwiringdiagrams/teles/2-pickup-teles

I suggest putting the push/pull on the tone pot as you will have more selection of regular volume pots and they effect the tone bright/dark on their static measured kohm value (pots have a wide tolerance band).

A few of alternatives:
    -Strat 5-way switch since you have 3-coils
    -4-way Tele switch and push/pull does a simple coil split
    -3-way Tele pickup switch with a small toggle on/on/on for the bridge to get series/single/parallel out of it
    -Strat 5-way switch combined with a Dan Armstrong Blender Mod and a concentric tone pot (two stacked knobs,pots) so one is a blender to go from the SSS to HSH with those three bobbins having normal strat controls and then a pair of humbucker combinations and some out of phase options. More intuitive to use than it reads. I put it on all my regular player Strats and thought of doing this on a Tele already.

Ibanez RG series has some interesting switching options so worth an Internet search.

3. Liad

Liad NEW MEMBER!

Oct 3, 2017
    Israel
    Thanks for the quick reply!
    Think I'm gonna go with a 5 way and make it:
    1. Neck
    2. Neck+Humbucker Inner coil
    3. Neck+Humbucker
    4. Humbucker Inner Coil
    5. Humbucker (push pull splits to outer coil)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.