Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wiring Help!!!!!

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by wjhinklecaster, Jul 24, 2016.

1. wjhinklecaster

wjhinklecaster TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Nashua, NH
    Hey guys I have a question. I have a 2015 American Special with the grease bucket tone circuit. I bought a set of D. Allen '53 pickups (yum!) and when I cracked her open I noticed the neck pickup had three wires (white, yellow, black). I removed the two AM. Special pickups and installed the two D.Allen pickups according to standard Tele wiring specs. The pickups work but there's a lot of noise. What's up? I know the wiring is a bit different for this guitar so I didn't know if I have to ground the pickups a special way.

HELP!!!

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Does the D. Allen neck pup have the yellow wire, and are you using a 4-way switch? The yellow is used to ground only the cover on the neck pickup, but not all models have it. Usually the cover is wired to the ground side of the pickup coil and this is fine in parallel with the bridge pickup, but when you're running a 4-way switch, that introduces the cover noise into the hot side of your signal in series mode.
    Does the noise occur in all switch positions, and does it decrease with lower tone control settings?
    If you can, also post a pic of the current wiring; that'll help get an idea for what's going on.

soulman969 likes this.

3. wjhinklecaster

wjhinklecaster TDPRI Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Nashua, NH
    The D. Allen pup only has two wires white/black and I am using a three-way switch. The noise occurs in either neck or bridge position but not in the middle position. I will post pics tomorrow. Thanks!

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Can you confirm that the pickups are reverse wind/reverse polarity from each other? That would explain a lot; it's hum-cancelling in that position if they are RWRP.
    If you only plan on using a 3-way, don't worry about that ground wire on the neck pickup, it won't affect anything. But it does sound like you have some issue with noise. When you do get the hum, does turning your body to face a different direction help? Did you shield the cavities while doing the other work, or is it shielded already? Is your practice space in an area where you have dimmers or fluorescent lighting? Any motors running on the same circuit?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.