Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wiring help for Neck Humbucker, Single coil Bridge , Phase options please.

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by alnico_blue, Sep 6, 2017.

1. alnico_blue

alnico_blue NEW MEMBER!

May 13, 2016
    Melbourne Australia
    Hello all - first post. I'm doing my first build, it will be a Telecaster with regular tele type bridge pickup, and then a PAF style humbucker in the neck. Humbucker I have is of the 4 wire variety so I have options.

Was originally inspired by this setup where it can be knocked in and out of phase with a push/push or push/pull:

My questions are :

1) Does anybody have a wiring diagram for this?
    2) Any pros and cons or limitations on using the volume vs tone for the push/push?
    3) If I get another push/push, can I also have options to split the humbucker?
    4) Any other funky suggestions?

2. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Phostenix site. For Series: Using a HB and a Tele bridge order from ground to to hot is very important in how it sounds. G-HB-B-+ will sound full and thick , like a bigger HB. G-B-HB-+ will have more mids emphasis and will also sound good IME.

3. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    What kind of sounds are you looking for ? You have over 30 in phase main combos where the differences will be noticeable if not important. Be sure to check out HALF OUT OF PHASE. Google is the easiest way to find a thread for me vs in site search. Phostenix has a HOoP (1/2 out) video on youtube.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Another option:

If you can get wires for both humbucker bobbins out of the cable or by dissecting the pickup itself (generally easy but could be fiddly) then you will have three bobbins to mix and match so you could put a 5-way Strat-style switch in the guitar along with a Dan Armstrong Blender Mod.

I do this mod on all my player Strats and it's great, a blender pot (Tele either add a third knob or stacked tone pot with concentric knobs) to go from stock Strat SSS to HSH by combining the pickups in series. The 2&4 positions when full HSH gives some out of phase tones, under SSS those settings work as a regular Strat (coils in parallel for quack).

The other option is a 3-way on/on/on toggle switch for the neck humbucker to get parallel, single, humbucker from it then use the regular 3 way blade switch as normal.

moosie likes this.

5. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    What humbucker are you using? You'll need to make sure you have a separate signal ground from your earth ground.

6. Huddy

Huddy Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2016
    Newport News, VA
    I just re-read. With the 4 conductor you're all good with a push/pull. I'd personally do it on the tone so not to knock your volume when pulling it. I'd spend an extra $15 and get an S1 switch and knob. Way cleaner not in the way. Same concept as a push pull pot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.