Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Wiring Experts: Difference in Sound Between These Two Tele Circuits?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by castpolymer, Feb 1, 2013.

1. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

I have a set of Fender '62 Custom Pickups on the way. I plan on installing them into an alder Telemaster I am completing. I wanted to use a " period correct circuit for those pickups ", but I also really lke the sound of the Muddy Waters Tele. I am not knowledgable enough about electronics to know, based on a schematic, what basic type of sound + / - each of the two circuits I am considering would offer. Here are the Fender schematics I am choosing from:
    1) Muddy Waters Tele- http://support.fender.com/service_diagrams/telecaster/013-8500A_SISD.pdf

2) Fender '62 Reissue American - http://support.fender.com/service_diagrams/telecaster/010-6200A_SISD.pdf

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

2. The String King

The String King Tele-Afflicted

What that will give you is a Wide open neck pickup, then tone adjustable neck, then bridge. You lose the series middle position. I would consider the muddy waters wiring to be more balanced and useable in normal generic playing.

3. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

there are too many variables involved. it's like describing a color with words. passive guitar circuits are easy to modify. the engines are more important as they cost more than pots, switches and caps. in the long run, it's all a crap shoot unless you can try before you buy.

simple circuits are typically the best. for a single coil powered tele i recommend: a pair of cts 250k pots (modifiy the tone for no-load - search tdpri to learn how to do this), a .022uf tone pot cap, a crl 3-way, and yer good to go, wired this-a-way ....

[​IMG]

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. castpolymer

I always wondered what the difference in hooking the .022 cap up from tone to volume pot vs. the Seymour Duncan standard where he hooks the .022 ( or in his case a .047 ) cap only on the tone pot?

6. Rob DiStefano

no difference - both have a side on the signal and the other to ground.

7. castpolymer

What is the advantage of the 250k no load tone pot?

8. Rob DiStefano

tone pots are always in the circuit, bleeding treble to ground, even when they're "off". making a tone pot no-load puts all the treble on tap that any pup can offer.

9. castpolymer

Got it. Thanks a ton for your input Rob.

10. castpolymer

Rob, took your advice on the no - load pots and wired them into my '72 Deluxe RI. Made a noticable difference in how the No Range HB's sounded when used wide open. If you use your amp as the tone control and leave the WRHB wide open with the bass side of the pickups raised up more than the treble side, they are actually decent sounding pickups. Once again, thanks for the info, I can't wait to try it on the '62 pups I just got.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.