Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wiring diagram wanted - series, PTB, one DPDT switch, 5-way

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by harryson, Mar 6, 2018.

1. harryson

harryson TDPRI Member

Mar 5, 2018
    British Columbia
    Hi Everyone,

I'd like some help (and I hope I'm going about this correctly) wiring a Nashville-type 3 single pup Tele in a way I haven't seen posted yet. I'm a relative NOOB but I'm done a little woodwork and a bit of soldering over the years.

I'd like to use Phostenix' (as seen on his Phostenix Wiring Diagrams - Google Sites pages) "strat-o-tele fat tele PP" idea which has series combinations BxM, NxM in positions 1 and 5, and B+N parallel in position 3. As most of you probably know Phostenix' drawings are no longer available on the net. (Unless someone managed to hang on to a copy?)

I'd like to use 50s wiring on the single tone control, but if everything works out as well as I hope then I'd like to use the same scheme on a standard strat but incorporate Leo's PTB circuit for tone controls.

I'm hoping this can be done as Phostenix originally described with the standard strat 5-way switch and one DPDT on/on switch. I can follow a drawing well enough, but I get almost dyslexic with schematics. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    You stated what positions 1,3,5 do. What about 2 & 4? What does the DPDT do?

3. harryson

harryson TDPRI Member

Mar 5, 2018
    British Columbia
    Ah, sorry - my bad. According to Phostenix' original description on his Google Sites page the layout goes like this:

Push-Pull Down (Normal Strat):

1. Bridge
    2. Middle & Bridge
    3. Middle
    4. Middle & Neck
    5. Neck

Push-Pull Up:

1. Middle & Bridge in Series
    2. Bridge
    3. Neck & Bridge in Parallel
    4. Neck
    5. Neck & Middle in Series

As he describes it the normal Tele positions are in the middle of the new switch settings.

4. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    All with a standard 5-way, not a super switch?

5. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    How about this? Pretty close... I don't see it happening with a standard 5-way...

Strat-O-TeleSS-Tele.jpg

6. harryson

harryson TDPRI Member

Mar 5, 2018
    British Columbia
    Apparently. Without being able to see the original drawings and with a simple three line description it's hard to be accurate.

I think we're not supposed to show links, but if you were to browse "Phostenix Wiring Diagrams" you'd find the google site that he used. From there you could click on the Strat-o-tele section and about 3/4 of the way down that page find "Strat-o-tele fat tele Push-pull". That entry is where I got the idea that this could be done. But of course there's no working link to the wiring diagram.

7. harryson

harryson TDPRI Member

Mar 5, 2018
    British Columbia
    Yes, that's very close. I was hoping to stay away from the pricey parts - not least because they are harder to work with - but also that at about $60 CDN it's hard to justify the experiment. Cheap and simple was definitely part of the attraction of the original Phostenix file I spotted.

I'll keep looking, but I'll have a better look at the drawing you attached. Thanks for having a crack at it.

8. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Yes, I'm aware of the site, and the fact that there's no longer anything there to be had. But please do feel free to include links. How could we ever get anything done otherwise?

I can't guarantee it, but what I posted is almost certainly an unmodified Phostenix circuit. Google is your friend. But nothing came up with the 'push pull' suffix.

Well, if you really don't want an S1, you could probably cram a mini 4pdt in between the pots. Very inelegant by comparison, but same function.

The super switch itself is not entirely cheap. If this is all going in a Tele control cavity, you really want to get the special narrow version of the super switch, found only here, AFAIK. Especially if you plan to shield the cavity.

9. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Phostenix posts on this site or may be its the sister Strat site. You could PM him...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018

10. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    What combos do you want ? Or do you want exactly whats in #3 ? It might be easier to start fresh.

11. harryson

harryson TDPRI Member

Mar 5, 2018
    British Columbia
    Teleterr, I'll look into a PM to Phostenix. I liked his original idea of N*M and M*B in series, and the N+B parallel was a bonus.

I see there's a diagram out there that uses a blender pot to get series settings. Do you or Moosie think I can drop in a DPDT switch instead of the pot just to have an on/off rather than a blend? and what would that look like, please?

upload_2018-3-6_14-5-7.png

12. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Phostenix has not been active here for some time, and has not responded to PM or email. OP, let us know if you have better luck, but don't hold your breath.

13. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I might have one of my own diagrams that does something similar. Let me dig.

14. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Here's one of mine... pretty straightforward switching: Bridge and Neck on the extremes, no matter the position of the toggle. Then the three middle positions give all parallel (down) and series (up) permutations. No standalone Middle, though.

Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 10.49.52 PM.png

15. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Here's the one by John Hewitt from post #11, but without the blender.

Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 11.24.57 PM.png

16. harryson

harryson TDPRI Member

Mar 5, 2018
    British Columbia
    Wow, you guys are so cool! Or is that so hot? I just can't seem to get my head around figuring out this stuff, but I can usually assemble the simple circuits.

I'm going to try the setup from post 15. It's about my speed for complexity, gives me the minimum and a bit more, and I have the parts now. If I should happen upon a super switch I'll try yours, Moosie, on the strat.

Thanks so much. I'll let you know how it went. It might take me a week to get it together in my spare time.

17. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Cool, let us know how it goes.

I can't recall if you said, but if you're new to this, and are not entirely sure which switch terminals are which, now's the time to buy an inexpensive multimeter. You'll need it to troubleshoot any problems, too.

18. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Did you still want to do 50s wiring on the tone pot? Need the changed diagram? It's just moving the one wire, but I'll post if you like.

And let us know if you need the PTB circuit.

19. harryson

harryson TDPRI Member

Mar 5, 2018
    British Columbia
    Thanks, I have some small experience - enough to tackle the simple drawing there. I can handle the 50s tone pot change (and even the change back if I have to). I've got the hot iron, the cheap Canadian Tire meter, and just enough brass (solder?) to take this on.

I've searched for some background info (Google is our friend, for now, until he kicks the door in), but if you had one of those beautifully rendered computer drawings for the PTB I'd love to see it.

Thanks again, you guys have been terrific. Tty after the weekend.

20. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Here ya go, a PTB tone circuit. A bit more generic, with just the one "pickup", but it should get the point across. Note the 1Meg Reverse Audio, or Anti Log pot. The cap is a .001 - .003 uf. I show a .002.

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 8.21.36 PM.png

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.