Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

wiring diagram for Tele HS, 4-way

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by littlebadboy, Aug 31, 2017.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    Is it possible to wire a telecaster with single coil humbucker bridge and single coil neck in such a way that a 4-way switch is used? My desired modes are:
    1 - neck only
    2 - neck + bridge (split outside coil?)
    3 - bridge (split outside coil?)
    4 - bridge, full humbucker

Is it better to use the outside coil of the bridge humbucker when being split?

I also would like to use a no-load pot as a tone knob. What would be appropriate, 250k or 500k? Should vol pot match 250k or 500k tone knob?

Thanks!

2. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

This is what I used
    https://sites.google.com/site/phostenixwiringdiagrams/teles/2-pickup-teles#StandardTele4WayNS
    However,
    I swapped the 'neck' and bridge pickup bobbin hot wires in the diagram and then rotated the switch 180 degrees to get the same switching sequence you are looking for.
    neck, parallel, bridge, series in the back so I can slap from clean neck to humbucker lead or just slap and back up one slot for the others.
    Of course, after that I also rotated the control plate and pots.

BlacknTort_Tele_170114sm.jpg

You could model yours like a Strat with three separate pickups, a 5-way switch, and the Dan Armstrong blender mod.

Or poke around the Phostenix page, there are some humbucker wiring mods.

littlebadboy likes this.

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    This should get what you want. I've reversed your numbers, to match Fender's calling the Bridge-most position #1. Up to you regarding pot values. Three out of four positions are single coil, so I'd think go with 250s. If your full humbucker position is too dark, rethink it. But bridge position, too dark?

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 2.16.25 AM.png

jvin248 and littlebadboy like this.

4. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    All fixed. I edited the above to correct a missing Neck jumper.

5. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I approached the HS in a different way... kept the 3 way and put in a small on/on/on switch to select either Ncoil/ Scoil/ Full HB on the bridge....

on the 3 way mid pos you can choose which of the HB coils to mix... or to use on the bridge pos...

Cream Tele switch split.jpg

Teleterr, jvin248 and moosie like this.

6. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    ^Yup, that's probably the way I'd go, too. More choices, and to my mind, a cleaner layout.

It was still fun to figure out the wiring, though. :D

7. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Lord knows what diagram I used?...:rolleyes:

I daren't look inside...in case it springs out like a jack in the box..:lol:

8. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    Thank you sir! I thought of keeping it simple. I'm not a fan really of mixing pickups. It's either I use humbucker bridge or neck. I mostly use bridge. I only use middle position when I use an acoustic simulator.

I have to admit that I'm not really much of an electronics person. Would the underside of a switch look exactly like that?

I'm a big fan of tone pot bypass as it is what I did on my other guitar. I like it hot! So I thought of the no-load pots when I learned that there was one. So, whatever load the engaged mode of the no load pot has, should the volume pot match it?
    Looks good! I have second thoughts on drilling a hole though.

Would you have a diagram?

9. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    You can get a second control plate to mod up and keep the original to the side. Sometimes with modding I like to do that, put the whole factory set in a box and then wire up the custom with a second set of parts. That way you can always go back.

Here's the on/on/on pattern I used for a Challenge Build humbucker. That same thread in a few earlier posts I show dismantling a stock two wire pickup so I could split it.

moosie, Teleterr and littlebadboy like this.

10. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    Would you know a least cost source for plates? I can use a regular drill with the correct bit, right? Never tried drilling through metal yet.

11. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Actually it's late
    Guitar Parts Factory is a good Fender parts supplier. The quirky website is compensated for by the very low shipping costs.

Darren Riley is great for all Fender parts.

Just put masking tape over the area, mark the location, and use an awl or punch to make a dimple. Or a sharp nail. Something so the drill bit doesn't wander as it gets started. Then drill through the plate, into a piece of scrap wood.

There are some cheap, thin plates out there, even from Fender / Squier, but the usual plate is thicker, and soft metal. Chrome plated brass. The tape and wood backer reduces flaked plating. The bit will think it's cutting butter.

:) Doesn't matter if you hardly ever use the combo positions. Wiring for them adds complexity. One way or the other.

Yes, underside of switch, the terminals are in the orientation that I've shown. Paint by numbers.

With the no-load on 10, it's not in the circuit at all. No load. Brighter. At that setting, it could be a 1M or 250K pot, and it would sound the same. So, for the portion of the time tone is not rolled back, you only need to consider which volume pot value you'd prefer. Smaller value, darker. 250s pair well with single coils, because they're inherently bright. 500s with HBs.

Personal choice.

12. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    littlebadboy likes this.

13. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    I think I want to do this! Parts already ordered!

moosie likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.