Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wiring a speaker cabinet 1/4 inch jack

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by jman72, Oct 11, 2018 at 12:27 PM.

1. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    Hi everyone,

This is a simple question (and I've done some research) but just wanted to check before I hook things up. I have converted my '77 Pro Reverb to a head and a 2x12 speaker cab. I want to use a 1/4 inch speaker cable to connect the speaker output of my amp to my speaker cabinet. I'm going to use a Switchcraft mono jack (attached to the speaker cab by an L-bracket) and just wire it up to my speakers in parallel as shown here:

Speaker Jack Wiring 1.jpg

Should this work fine? The positive (shown in red) is connected to the jack tip, while the negative (black) is connected to the jack ground? I can just plug in a 1/4 speaker cable between the amp output and this speaker jack and all should be fine? Any suggestions or comments? Thanks!

2. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    That looks good, just watch your impedance.

24 track likes this.

3. jman72

jman72 Tele-Holic

Aug 31, 2013
    Central Florida
    Thanks for the input. When you say to watch my impedance, you mean to make sure that my speaker impedance (as wired) matches my OT for my amp? The OT for the Pro Reverb is matched for a 4 ohm load, so the two 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel should give me the 4 ohm impediance.

flyswatter likes this.

4. JustABluesGuy

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Exactly. It sounds like you have a handle on it.

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Holic

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    As pictured in your wiring diagram if those two speakers were 16ohm each the cab would end up being 8ohm right?

6. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Correct. Two speakers with the same impedance in parallel will be half the value of each, while in series it will be double the value of each. Combining speakers that aren't the same impedance in parallel is trickier and requires a calculator. In series though you just add the two together to get the total. So, an 8 and a 4 in series will be 12, but an 8 and 4 in parallel is 2.7.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 7:35 PM
    Chunkocaster likes this.

7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Holic

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Great, thanks. What do you end up with if you use one 8ohm speaker and one 16ohm speaker combined as above? Is there a way to combine the 8 and 16 to get a 8ohm or 16ohm cab?

8. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I don't think so. An 8 and 16 in parallel will give you 5.3.

JustABluesGuy and Chunkocaster like this.

9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Holic

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Thanks again. The speaker manufacturers should probably come up with an online calculator. It would make things much simpler.

10. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2014
    Paris, IL
    No. Using one 8 ohm and one 16 ohm speaker, in parallel the impedance would be 5.33ohms and in series it would 24ohms. The impedances add in series and in parallel the formula is
    (sp1 x sp2) / (sp1 + sp2)

DougM, JustABluesGuy and Chunkocaster like this.

11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Holic

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Cheers for that formula Greg.

12. JustABluesGuy

Sep 2, 2016
    Houston, TX
    I used to have exactly such an Ohm calculator app for iPhone, but it quit working with a past iOS upgrade.

Chunkocaster likes this.

13. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Holic

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I found a online calculator and apparently if you run two 16ohm speakers in parallel and one 8 ohm in series with those you get 16ohm. Makes sense seing as the two 16ohms are converted to 8 by running them parallel. Unfortunate for me I was interested in mixing ohms for a 8ohm amp.

http://www.speakerimpedance.co.uk/?act=three_series_parallel&page=calculator

JustABluesGuy and chemobrain like this.

14. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    as a dyslexic with short term memory issues, I'm all sorted out now, WRONG!

JustABluesGuy and Chunkocaster like this.

15. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Holic

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    :lol:

That's why I need online calculators. I had troubles learning my times tables back in school too. Pythagoris or algebra? forget about it. Staring out the window at the clouds was my specialty.:)

chemobrain likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.