Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wiring a humbucker w/4-way switch

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by thaus, Jan 12, 2009.

1. edadmartin

edadmartin TDPRI Member

Nov 14, 2008
    co springs co
    tele with mini bucker

so are you saying to unhook the ground from the bridge base plate and wire the mini bucker hot to lug and black to pot top (ground)?

2. Deaf Eddie

Deaf Eddie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Sunny San Diego, CA
    IF your bridge pup has a baseplate, YES.

The baseplate must have an independent lead back to ground in the control cavity, so that the bridge pup's negative lead (typically the black one) has NO CONTINUITY with the guitar's ground.

USUALLY, you will clip the short jumper that is soldered from the baseplate to the negative lead eyelet on the pickup's bobbin. That makes the negative lead independent from the baseplate and guitar's ground (baseplates usually ground the strings through the pup mounting screws to the bridge assembly) - then you solder a new jumper to the baseplate that you run out to the control cavity and ground on the back of the volume pot that grounds the bridge assembly

Uhhh.... to state it more clearly, for this mod, the braided shield would be soldered to ground on the back of the volume pot, and the center conductor HOT lead would go to the common lug on the 4-way (lower left lug, in my drawing).

3. gretsch58

gretsch58 NEW MEMBER!

Mar 2, 2010
    Denver
    Hi,

newbie here, can this be done like this?

1. Neck single coil
    2. Neck and Bridge humbucker
    3. neck and bridge humbucker split
    4. Bridge Humbucker

4. edadmartin

edadmartin TDPRI Member

Nov 14, 2008
    co springs co
    4 way switching with mini bucker

Thanks for the diagram. Ill wire it up and lift the ground wire from the bridge pickup first . Im not sure yet if this is right because the mini bucker has a black plastic not metal cover. But the diagram seem correct. Ill post my results,thanks

5. Deaf Eddie

Mar 17, 2003
    Sunny San Diego, CA

6. gretsch58

gretsch58 NEW MEMBER!

Mar 2, 2010
    Denver
    So the tapped coil is being shorted to hot instead of ground?

7. Deaf Eddie

Mar 17, 2003
    Sunny San Diego, CA
    Yes, the series pair joint is connected to hot, which on DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan pickups shunts the slug coil and leaves the screw coil active. That's usually my preference when there's just one humbucker in the mix, anyway. I harbor the illusion that it allows me to "adjust and tune" the pickup more finely than using the slug coil.

FWIW, I'm always picky about players calling this a coil TAP. Technically, a coil TAP is when you have a connection before the end of the coil-winding wire that allows you to use less than the full windings of a SINGLE coil pickup - you're "tapping" in to coil-winds before the end of it. A single coil pickup with a coil TAP would have three (or more) leads. I used to see a lot of Tele bridge pups made like that, and Don Mare still makes a few models.

And, as long as I'm being Witchy about it, to ME this isn't a coil SPLIT, either. A coil SPLIT would be where you actually disconnect/break the series pair junction to just play one coil.

So, as far as my jargon is concerned, this is a coil-SHUNT scheme - because that is the only completely correct description of what is going on electronically here.

8. edadmartin

edadmartin TDPRI Member

Nov 14, 2008
    co springs co
    on tele bridge pickups with plates should there be a string ground from that plate to pot top or from bridge to pot top OR what ? Im chasing this ground thing now.When I touch the top of a knob I get a static pop,when I touch with my other hand its silient. Im not sure where to start looking next

9. Deaf Eddie

Mar 17, 2003
    Sunny San Diego, CA
    TYPICALLY, if you clip the jumper between the bridge pup's baseplate and the bobbin's negative lead eyelet, you would solder a new lead to the baseplate and run that out to the control cavity to be soldered on the back of a pot (ground). That SHOULD take care of grounding the bridge assembly, with continuity through the pickup's mounting screws.

If that ain't working (or you're just into redundancy), you could also run an additional lead from ground (back of a pot) in the control cavity out to the bridge assembly rout, strip the insulation, and lay it on the face of the guitar where it will be "captured" when bridge assembly is mounted - that's usually the way the bridge/string ground is connected on Teles where the bridge pup does NOT have a baseplate.

HOWEVER, if you are saying that if you touch ONLY a knob it pops, but if you touch the strings with one hand and touch a knob with the other and there's no pop, that's NORMAL. The strings/bridge assembly is grounded. Check it with a meter set for continuity...

10. edadmartin

edadmartin TDPRI Member

Nov 14, 2008
    co springs co
    tele popping

ok I have ground continuity to all metal points and both pickups. and when I touch the knobs and strings it is silent,but when touching knob only I get that static pop. So since we have single coils and humbuckers here, mixed, that is why we have the pop,right ? and it will stay like that, and wont be an issue when playing or recording? ( Ive tried neither yet) thanks for the help.
    Im doing another which has a Fender style b bender (steel and aluminum plate),should the bender plate be grounded thru the bridge string ground wire and b string or separately?

11. MikeMurray

MikeMurray Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2008
    South Africa - Pretoria
    DeafEddie, could you perhaps explain how the 4-way switch works, perhaps a link to the switching schematic? I'm looking to have

Neck
    Neck + Bridge out of phase
    Neck + bridge in parallel
    Bridge

For a strat of mine..

12. Deaf Eddie

Mar 17, 2003
    Sunny San Diego, CA
    It couldn't be simpler - it works just like the standard Tele three-way, but has an extra lug (two, actually) and an extra throw.

It's a two-pole switch, meaning, each row of five lugs on a side is INDEPENDENT of the row of five lugs on the other side.

The (vertical) row of lugs shown here is a pole, consisting of four switchable lugs and a common (see below).

The commons are "mirror imaged" on the switch - so, one is at one end of its row, and the other is at the opposite end of its row - like this:

1 - C
    2 - 1
    3 - 2
    4 - 3
    C - 4

Can't be done with a 4-way - there aren't enough poles. You'll have to add another switch to get the phase-reverse.

13. MikeMurray

MikeMurray Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2008
    South Africa - Pretoria
    Thanks man.. Now just to figure out what to do with a 4 way on a HSS strat with a middle on switch...

14. Deaf Eddie

Mar 17, 2003
    Sunny San Diego, CA
    Do the EASY thang...

Why don't you just do the regular 4-way mod, getting:

bridge
    bridge and neck parallel
    neck
    bridge and neck series

... and keep the middle on/off switch as-is?

That gives you eight tones: all the stock Strat tones EXCEPT mid-only; the two missing "Magnificent Seven" tones (bridge+neck and all three parallel); and the bridge/neck-in-series and a bridge/neck-in-series-plus-mid.

OR.... With an HHS Strat, if the bridge pup is four-conductor, use the scheme I drew up for gretsch58 that coil-shunts the bridge pup, and again, keep the mid pup on/off as-is.

15. MikeMurray

MikeMurray Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2008
    South Africa - Pretoria
    I think I might just go for the usual one then.. Got a coil split on the bridge already. Might sound cool - only way to find out is to try..

Thanks man :)

16. TThumb

TThumb NEW MEMBER!

Mar 6, 2010
    Bourne, MA
    Humbucker/Single with 5-way switch

I tried wiring single coil (neck) with humbucker (bridge) on a 5-way switch. I'm hoping you'll have the patience to help me with some very basic questions to figure out what I did wrong. This was the configuration I was attempting:
    1- Neck
    2- Neck and Bridge(shunted)
    3-
    4- Bridge(shunted)
    5- Bridge(humbucker)
    The diagram I found had position 3 as "Bridge Single Coil in Series with Neck and other Bridge Single Coil in Parallel", but this didn't make sense to me.

First, my single coil at neck has a black and a white wire. The humbucker has black, green, red, white, and bare shield. The red and white were originally taped together. To test for the hot and ground I attached a voltmeter and tapped the PU with a screwdriver. For the Single, with the positive lead on white and the negative on black, the screwdriver made the meter dip. Am I correct in thinking this means the hot should actually be Black and the ground White? If this is correct, I tested that on the Humbucker the wires are Black(+) and White(-) for the coil nearest the bridge, and Red(+) and Green(-) for the other coil.

I'd just like to confirm which wires are hot/ground or start/finish, and then hopefully get a suggestion on how to wire the five way switch. I'm open to variations on middle switch position. The 5-way switch is a 2 pole with 4 lugs on each pole.

Any help for a newcomer is much appreciated. Thanks,
    Andy

17. Elias Graves

Elias Graves Friend of Leo's

Apr 27, 2010
    Oklahoma
    I was gonna use this diagram but this shows five lugs, not four.

EG

18. Elias Graves

Apr 27, 2010
    Oklahoma
    D'oh! Nevermind. I had the wrong switch. :D

EG

19. Elias Graves

Apr 27, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Hey Deaf Eddie, I wired up my new tele with this scheme and it's aces! Much obliged.

[​IMG]

20. Bonillot

Bonillot TDPRI Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Las Vegas, NV
    Hello everyone ... I'm new to this forum (not new. To the Tele).

My question is this: must you still add a pickup cover wire to a covered PAF doing this mod?

I have added a 4-way switch to a Franken-Tele I am building. I am using a 2 wire (wire w/braided shield) PAF w/chrome cover in the neck position with a Bill Lawrence L-48 rail Tele pickup in the bridge position. FYI: I have also added a Bill Lawrence q-Filter switchable between it and a NOS Russian PIO .47mfd capacitor on a DPDT switch. I am using the old 50s wiring (tone pot output to center pin of volume pot). This guitar has a Gibson scale (24.75"). Went for the kitchen sink!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.