Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Wiring a cap for that Esquire cocked wah tone...

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Enaitz, May 18, 2016.

1. Enaitz

Enaitz Tele-Meister

Jul 3, 2010
    Madrid, Spain.
    Good morning.

I'm building a beautiful double bound black Telecaster from parts I've been adquiring, mostly from eBay. I would use this circuit:

Dano-Tele-Esquire Wiring Diagram.jpg

It has a 5 way super switch, to get 2 extra positions: bridge straight out (trying to go Esquire) and neck + bridge in series (trying to go Danelectro).

I would like to modify the circuit to have also the cocked wah sound from the capacitor used in the Esquires "neck" pickup switch position, using a PIO cap of 4'7nF (the Eldred mod):

I have two questions to ask:

1) Can I add a push pull switch and wire it so it affects to the whole circuit (for example placing the switch directly before the output jack) or this is gonna warm the sound as it happens when you put extra pots? My other option is to place it to work only for position 2 (bridge with tone and volumen).

SPST Switch 2.png

2) Instead of using a DPDT switch I think it will be enough with a basic SPST switch. I woud like to use THIS one, but I'm afraid that the pulled position may be the one with the circuit open (normal sound with cap not engaged) so the guitar should have the controls reversed being the pulled position the standard. I would like to have the circuit closed (cap engaged) when the knob is up. Does anybody know about the internals of that push pull switch and when is the circuit open, if when pulled or when pushed?

Best regards.

Last edited: May 18, 2016

2. Enaitz

Enaitz Tele-Meister

Jul 3, 2010
    Madrid, Spain.
    The always helpy Stew Mac support team as answered me that the CTS SPST pot has the internals exactly in the opposite way that I need, meaning that using it the circuit would be open when the knob is up.

So, question 2 is answered and I'll have to use a DPDT pot.

Also, after thinking about it, I don't believe that using that kind of switch could be like placing an extra pot making me loose some highs, so I'm gonna use that switched cap on the entire circuit.

3. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Adding a cap will move the resonant peak down, so you will lose some highs but get more response somewhere in the midrange (when the other controls are up all the way) it is different than turning down the tone control a little bit. It would be akin to using a really long guitar cable.

4. Enaitz

Enaitz Tele-Meister

Jul 3, 2010
    Madrid, Spain.
    But that should only happen when the cap is engaged, so, when the push pull opens the circuit, leaving the cap completely out of the circuit (please check the above image) it shouldn't affect anything, shouldn't it?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.